The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Snow Day 2005! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7517)

Griff 01-06-2005 06:20 AM

Snow Day 2005!

Crap, its starting to sleet. We have some lovely snow right now though.

ladysycamore 01-06-2005 12:44 PM

Totally missed us here in the big city. I'll take snow over anything ice related anyday.

cowhead 01-07-2005 01:04 AM

yeah.. well tuesday it started with a nice little drizzle then the temperature dropped like a rock.. so although not alot in the way of accumulation.. there is a nice 1/2+ of ice topped with some nice really slick crunchy snow.. I'm glad I had tuesday/wednesday off work... other than the power outages, there was some good eating and good videogame playing, good luck stock up on food and libations!

LabRat 01-07-2005 08:48 AM

Here in east central Iowa we got about 12", I ended up staying home Tues and Wed (my 35mi commute wasn't gonna happen) with my 2 yr old and having a good old fashioned snow day(s). It was the most fun I've had in a LONG time. Took her sledding and buried each other...wasn't good packing snow though, so the snow puppy has to wait till next time :)

Griff 01-07-2005 04:08 PM

We lost our satellite signal until sometime today due to the ice build up. The skiing is gonna be crap for a while, since the crust is so thick, but we'll try.

elf 01-07-2005 05:50 PM

Snow days = fireplaces and hot spiced cider. Keep the door shut and don't let any of that <i>brrrr</i> get in!

*shakes head* burying people in the snow.... that's crazy talk!

Earlier this week it had been frigid, negatives and all that rot. Oh, was I ever the grumpy one. We're looking at mid-fifties for the weekend, though.

I like Colorado.

zippyt 01-07-2005 08:58 PM

We lost our satellite signal until sometime today due to the ice build up.
Griff this may sound weird but defrost your dish , and spray it with PAM ( spray on nonstick cooking stuff ) , I know it sounds weird but we had the same problem a few years ago , i sprayed the dish down and we have been thru 3-4 ice and snow storms and haven't had the problem since .

Griff 01-08-2005 09:23 AM

Seriously bro? How did you thaw it out? Our signal is iffy this morning as well.

404Error 01-08-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Seriously bro? How did you thaw it out?...

You could try buying it a few drinks and a candle light dinner... :rolleyes:

Ooookay...how 'bout a hair dryer and a really long extention cord?

xoxoxoBruce 01-08-2005 10:20 PM

Thanks 404, I looove Pepsi through my nose. :greenface

404Error 01-08-2005 10:48 PM

Mmmm...clears out the old sinuses, huh?

need a tissue?

BrianR 01-10-2005 05:48 PM

MY ice storm took out power to Hazleton for up to three days, wiped out innumerable trees and such and made the roads slick.

It also did minor damage to my house...lost two of three apple trees, lost a limb from a tall maple which may or may not kill it come spring, took down part of a gutter, broke a window, cost me an hours' sleep in the middle of the night and burst a water pipe (which ran for days until it was noticed and shut off). That one is partly my fault for not turning off the water inside in the fall. Thank goodness I have an alert neighbor who has been checking the house once a week or so. Otherwise I'd likely have to replace the water pump too. I bet my electric bill is bigger this month too. :(

Too bad I don't have a camera to take pictures...the trees bent in half are almost pretty, until you look at the ones laying on my house....

Brian

Griff 01-10-2005 07:30 PM

Bummer. :(

ladysycamore 01-26-2005 01:01 PM

I'm thinking that this past Saturday was a doozy of a "snow day". Around 10 inches of snow (more in some areas), and more to come from what I've heard lately.