The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A House of My Own (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12493)

Billy 11-21-2006 06:00 PM

A House of My Own

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A House of My Own

Not a flat. Not an aprtment in back. Not a man's house. Not a daddy's. A house all my own. With my porch and my pillow, my pretty purple petunias. My books and my stories. My two shoes waiting beside the bed. Nobody to shake a stick at. Nobody's garbage to pick up after.
Only a house quiet at snow, a space for myself to go, clean as paper before the poem.
I just finsihed reading The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros. When read the above words, I felt that she wrote it for me. As a child, I had no my space because I have sisters and brother in our small house. I dreamed to have a small room of my own even if there was only a bed, a table and a chair. Until now I still share a room with other people. I don't know where my house is in the big city.

warch 11-21-2006 07:02 PM

Billy, I think its very cool to imagine you reading Sandra Cisneros in China. That's a far reach around the world. She's a great storyteller. I hope you find your house, or a least can carve out your space.

zippyt 11-21-2006 07:03 PM

Billy I hope you do some day have your own house ,
and some body to share it with .

JayMcGee 11-21-2006 07:29 PM

...... mmmmm.... the sharing can come later.

I think I know how Billy feels..... all my life, I shared. Lived with my parents, then boarding school, back to home, married young, shared with her parents, then a rented house of our own..... separation & divorce, had to move out and share flat with friends....

it wasn't till I was in my late thirties that I finally bought a flat of my own.

And though it may well have been lonely at times, it was indeed bliss.

The knowledge that the mess in there is your own, that you don't have to pick up after some-one else, that you can say 'sod it, I'll do the dishes tommorrow' is indeed an exhilerating experience. Like the gap year, I commend this experience to you all before you finally take the plunge and join with a partner.

Billy 11-21-2006 08:39 PM

I am looking for the book Marley and Me. I happened to see the book in Beijing and did not buy it. Now I want to read it but I cant find it everywhere. Have you read the book? What do you think?

xoxoxoBruce 11-21-2006 09:03 PM

Marley and Me by John Grogan, in English, Billy? :question:

Billy 11-21-2006 09:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are right. It is in English. I heard that there is Chinese edition in Taiwan, but I would like read the English book.

xoxoxoBruce 11-21-2006 10:29 PM

OK, it's on it's way. Merry Christmas. :D

Trilby 11-22-2006 08:36 AM

You're a nice man, bruce.

Now. Can I give you my list? ;)

DanaC 11-22-2006 08:47 AM

A house of one's own is wonderful.

I don't own property. I do however rent a small house which is lovely. I have the best kind of landlord; the kind who's never around unless you absolutely need him to be. I've been here now since Feb 2004, having never lived alone. Went from family home, to living with my guy. When we split I lived in the spare room at Mum's house for about 2 years whilst looking for a house. I used to lie awake at night just imagining what it would be like to have my own place. I wanted it so much i could taste it :P

Billy 11-22-2006 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
OK, it's on it's way. Merry Christmas. :D

Thank you very much. What Chinese things do you like? I will try my best to look for you.

xoxoxoBruce 11-22-2006 06:08 PM

Female. :D

lumberjim 11-22-2006 07:15 PM

is this the book that made Howard Stern cry? I think it IS

lumberjim 11-22-2006 07:18 PM

Marley and Me

http://www.marleyandme.com/images/groganblog.jpg
http://www.marleyandme.com/images/rss.gif Monday, February 27, 2006
Howard & Me
Marley has posthumously made a lot of new friends through his story, but one friend I never in a million years would have guessed is.....Howard Stern. The celebrity shock jock last week on his new show on the Sirius Satellite Network talked about my book, Marley & Me. In fact, he talked about it on three different days.

As Howard described it on the air, his girlfriend, Beth, had bought him a copy of Marley & Me for Valentine's Day and he was reading it on a flight to visit his daughter in college. The flight was very turbulent and the flight attendant noticed Howard crying. She approached him and asked if he was OK. It wasn't the bumpy flight, he told her; it was the book he had just finished reading, Marley & Me. He then went on to describe how the book changed the way he looks at relationships -- with his girlfriend, his children, his friends, and, yes, his English bulldog, Bianca. I was later interviewed (by cell phone as I drove to the airport in Phoenix after a book event) on his station's Howard 100 News about the effect my book had on him.

Billy 11-22-2006 11:22 PM

From the books, we think of ourselvies, our past experiences, our relations...

I watched the Show Lost season 1. From the show, I know that we are what we did in the past.

I think that's why we like read books and watch TV. We can see ourselvies in them.