The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Americans: Class Rings -are they still a thing? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34531)

monster 09-08-2019 10:09 PM

Americans: Class Rings -are they still a thing?

When my kids graduated, there were glossy catalogs full of all sorts of shit you could buy. I've encountered the class ring thing in movies and books from decades ago, but never heard it mentioned by any of the other senior parents, and my kids never asked for one when they graduated. Now I see a friend on facebook mentioning it like it's still the norm....

xoxoxoBruce 09-08-2019 10:48 PM

Both mine were stolen because I never wore them so they were home when I wasn't.

glatt 09-09-2019 05:01 AM

For most people I know, not a thing.

Griff 09-09-2019 06:10 AM

I don't think it's a thing anymore, but there may be groups of kids who do it, maybe some teams?

Gravdigr 09-09-2019 12:36 PM

It was a thing in 1985.

fargon 09-09-2019 01:25 PM

It was a thing in 1975.

Griff 09-09-2019 07:53 PM

Regional, I think. The football players at my high school got them in '82 but I don't think many others did.

glatt 09-09-2019 08:09 PM

I knew one guy who got one in 1985. He was eager to.

On my kids generation, none of my daughters friends did, that I know of.

xoxoxoBruce 09-09-2019 10:52 PM

It was a thing in '65.

bbro 09-10-2019 08:39 AM

I still have mine from when I graduated. I think I wore it a dozen times.

Undertoad 09-10-2019 08:43 AM

There was a time when it was important to have pride in your high school, and I feel like that idea was a fading notion by the 80s, and I'm not sure exactly why.

Clodfobble 09-10-2019 05:39 PM

High school pride disappeared when a high school diploma turned into the bare minimum rather than a natural exit point for the majority of folks, and college became (at least in people's minds) "necessary for a good job."

When I graduated in 1998, class rings were definitely not a thing anymore. In addition, "letter jackets" were no longer worn by most jocks, only by the marching band kids, and then only because they weren't allowed to wear anything else over their marching uniform during cold games.

monster 09-10-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1038419)
High school pride disappeared when a high school diploma turned into the bare minimum rather than a natural exit point for the majority of folks, and college became (at least in people's minds) "necessary for a good job."

When I graduated in 1998, class rings were definitely not a thing anymore. In addition, "letter jackets" were no longer worn by most jocks, only by the marching band kids, and then only because they weren't allowed to wear anything else over their marching uniform during cold games.

At my kids' (former) high school, Letter Jackets are still a thing..... but it's bloody cold up here. No-one wear them in the warmer months, but in the winter, hell yeah.

Marching Band..... It's OK to have that as a second "sport" but as the only thing.... :lol: .....and they have even warmer full length coats to wear over their uniforms at cold games.

xoxoxoBruce 09-10-2019 11:20 PM

There are plenty of kids who prefer music to sports.

bbro 09-11-2019 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1038419)

I graduated in '98 and letter jackets were still worn by the jocks. Class rings were also big to buy, but I don't think anyone really wore them