The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Crafty DIYers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31523)

glatt 04-21-2016 03:19 PM

Heh. That will split a toddler's scalp open when they are learning to walk.

xoxoxoBruce 04-21-2016 03:27 PM

Fuck those toddlers, keep them away from my house. Adults(without cats) don't have to live in rubber rooms. I had a guy come over one time with his spawn in tow. The first thing the kid grabs is the fireplace poker I made and starts drumming on the glass fireplace doors. His father was amused. :mad2:

xoxoxoBruce 04-22-2016 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The copy said this is a Queen sized bed, so they must be using itty bitty side rails to display the head and foot boards.

xoxoxoBruce 04-24-2016 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I case you're off your rocker...

xoxoxoBruce 04-26-2016 10:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
OK, this is for glatt.
My ancient Craftsman Table saw has cast iron wings on both sides so it's pretty big, but doesn't make cutting tricky shit any easier or safer.

It has guide groves for a miter gage on both sides of the blade, so I made two hardwood strips the width but not quite the depth of these grooves. The strips were attached to a piece of plywood so it would slide across the table. It turned out to be a lot of drag so I cut reliefs in the down side with a router, then with a little wax on the strips it would slide like butter.

On the top side I screwed a backstop perpendicular to and carefully squared with, the blade. The hardwood strips extended a couple feet past the plywood(which I recently broke) with a piece to tie them together, allowed the plywood to be pulled back past the blade, and make it more stable after it's cut almost all the way through.

This jerry-rig is a dream to work with, pieces can be clamped to the backstop or even screwed down to the plywood, or wedged for tricky angles. Anything it takes to keep my fingers away from the blade.

One habit I developed at Boeing, cutting aluminum extrusions on a 5 hp, direct drive, rolling table, pattern maker's saw, is keep the blade cranked all the way up. The safety people freaked, but It works well. The blade is trying to push the work down into the table instead of throwing it back at you. I always could see the blade and knew where it was. It's not coming to me, to get hurt I have to go to it, so I always want to know where it is. If I slip and hit the blade with a knuckle, it will most likely be on the side rather than the teeth, no harm, no foul. Your mileage may vary, it's a mental thing.

Gravdigr 04-26-2016 11:39 PM

Quite cool.

Griff 04-27-2016 06:07 AM

word

glatt 04-27-2016 08:02 AM

Yes! It's been on my list of things to make. A table saw sled. And really, there's no good reason not to make one. Except that it takes a little time and I could be using that time to make something else. But I know it's an investment in my tooling that will pay off in ease of use later.
I currently am making do with miter gauges that have plywood fences bolted to them. A sled would be much better.

xoxoxoBruce 04-27-2016 11:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Big tables, if you're going to the trouble to make something, it's an excuse to invite a lot of people to see it.

xoxoxoBruce 04-28-2016 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I wouldn't think twice about avoiding sitting on this stuff. :eyebrow:

xoxoxoBruce 05-03-2016 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For relaxing with leather straps...

xoxoxoBruce 05-04-2016 03:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It doesn't have to be serious...

xoxoxoBruce 05-07-2016 10:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A beautiful table or desk...