The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Politics is the new Religion (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32132)

Undertoad 07-30-2016 09:52 AM

Politics is the new Religion

Promising two alternate realities, one heaven the other hell, based on whom you worship

True believers hanging on long speeches from on high explaining what they should think

Supporters spreading the good word and writing checks for the collection plate

sexobon 07-30-2016 10:03 AM

Does that make an abstaining voter a political atheist or agnostic?

BigV 07-30-2016 10:32 AM

there's not enough information to determine. some abstain because they don't believe, your atheists. henry quirk is a good example we both "know". some believe, yet still abstain because they believe, but know better. Griff's an example of this kind of believer, he believes in the reality of the system, but not in one, true, path.

Undertoad 07-30-2016 10:41 AM

Whom you worship is almost always a product of your friends and family, and where you live, and what culture you grew up in.

Undertoad 07-30-2016 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 965543)
Does that make an abstaining voter a political atheist or agnostic?

Or, one can be quite spiritual and still dislike Religion, or the official Religions, for what they have done to systems of belief.

sexobon 07-30-2016 10:46 AM

Maybe those who abstain are mostly the agnostics and those who mock the system by casting a protest vote (e.g. writing in "Mickey Mouse") are the atheists. Possibly more parallels there.

fargon 07-30-2016 11:49 AM

I am a believer, for me it was a physical experience. I cannot deny it

henry quirk 07-30-2016 01:10 PM

Seems to me, to be a political atheist is to say 'I don't believe in politics', which is dumb cuz politics is just a kind of human interaction, and humans interacting is demonstrably real.

I like 'heretic' better but that carries (to me) a sense of active rebellion, and I just ain't the time, energy, or interest for that.

Non serviam, as declaration, works, but isn't easy to label.

Indifferent (with a clinched fist)?

Apolitical (but knowing)?

*shrug*

sexobon 07-30-2016 02:15 PM

In the OP scenario of politics is the new religion promising two alternate realities, one heaven the other hell, based on whom you worship, I'll go with the political atheists being the ones who don't worship anyone and demonstrate it by casting protest votes as opposed to the agnostics who don't vote 'cause they don't think they have reach.

Just another way of looking at it.

elSicomoro 07-30-2016 10:03 PM

New? You're behind, UT. ;)

There are always people that are going to blindly worship at the altar of the donkey or the elephant. Me? I hang with the donkeys, but I have my glasses or contacts on. Fortunately, my state Democratic party seems cool with that.

tw 07-31-2016 10:20 AM

Faith.

Have faith. We will tell you what to believe. Have faith that we are informed and honest.

Westboro Baptist Church also has faith. Do I really want what they have?

elSicomoro 07-31-2016 04:08 PM

Speaking as someone to whom WBC is local...I don't think they are offering faith.

BigV 07-31-2016 04:38 PM

WBC has faith. Faith that if they keep walking around talking in public like they do, they'll be rewarded by an assault, an act like a mustard seed which would let them move mountains of lawsuits.

elSicomoro 07-31-2016 04:48 PM

For those that don't know, this place is across the street from WBC. Good people.

http://www.plantingpeace.org/equality/

BigV 07-31-2016 04:59 PM

Outstanding.

tw 08-06-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elSicomoro (Post 965642)
For those that don't know, this place is across the street from WBC.

Upwind or downwind?

Apparently upwind. That paint has not pealed from the walls.

elSicomoro 08-08-2016 03:24 PM

Depends on the wind...the houses are east of the church.

El Veto-Voter 08-24-2016 11:01 PM

Supreme Religion - bow down by voting

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 965568)
Seems to me, to be a political atheist is to say 'I don't believe in politics', which is dumb cuz politics is just a kind of human interaction, and humans interacting is demonstrably real.

I like 'heretic' better but that carries (to me) a sense of active rebellion, and I just ain't the time, energy, or interest for that.

Non serviam, as declaration, works, but isn't easy to label.

Indifferent (with a clinched fist)?

Apolitical (but knowing)?

*shrug*

What is the supreme religion on this planet?

Catholicism, Protestantism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Communism, Agnosticism, Liberal, Conservative, and all the others are just subsets of the one supreme religion: The Cult of the Omnipotent State!

"Infidel" seems to be an appropriate, if negatively charged, label for one who refuses to accept the precepts of any "faith". It literally means, "one without faith", and infidels were actively hunted down and killed in the dark ages (because they tended to shed light on things that the authorities preferred to keep in the dark).

I don't take offense at being called an "infidel" because I know its real meaning. Likewise with a lot of other good words that have developed negative stereotypes over the years.

One such term is "apathetic". It literally means "not pathetic". Now, how can it be better to be "pathetic" than to be "not pathetic"?

El Veto-Voter
www.HaltVote.com

tw 08-25-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967460)

Science. Science explains god's laws better than anything else. Even terrorists worship it 'teachings' - ie big guns and bombs. God did not stop sending disciples after Christ died. We all know them as Einstein, Gandhi, Newton, Mandella, Higgs, Gauss, Bardeen and Brattain.

BigV 08-25-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967460)
snip-- l
One such term is "apathetic". It literally means "not pathetic". Now, how can it be better to be "pathetic" than to be "not pathetic"?

El Veto-Voter
www.HaltVote.com

Welcome to the cellar, El Veto-Voter!

I'll answer your question. It's better when the correct understanding of the word in your context is used, meaning feeling or passion or motivation. Being apathetic is to be without those qualities. And you don't strike me as apathetic. :)

love-sites 08-25-2016 09:30 PM

Show your feeling to others.

regular.joe 08-26-2016 11:59 PM

Greek pathos meaning suffering. Greek Pathetikos meaning sensitive. Pathetic means affecting the emotions. Apathetic means not affecting the emotions. But, really, who cares?

infinite monkey 08-27-2016 01:55 AM

I like those theater masks: pathos and laughos.

glatt 08-27-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

But, really, who cares?

I like what you did there.

classicman 08-27-2016 10:01 AM

ditto

BigV 08-27-2016 11:59 AM

regular-freakin-joe is back!

LAUGHOS, from pure happiness! Welcome back!!!!!

tw 08-28-2016 10:09 AM

Apathetic Joe says, "But, really, who cares?"

Now he is gone. Since we are all apathetic (adults who are not children), then we also do not care?

El Veto-Voter 08-28-2016 06:00 PM

Catholicism, Protestantism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Communism, Agnosticism, Liberal, Conservative, and all the others are just subsets of the one supreme religion: The Cult of the Omnipotent State!

tw 08-29-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967782)

Science. Also explains why organized religion have a long history of trying to subvert all science - the competition. Even in early 1950s when first organ transplants were attempted. And with stem cell research today. Worst case examples include wahhabism that hates and attacks the advancement of mankind - in the name of their religious beliefs.

An ironic exception is astronomy performed by the Catholic Church in, I believe, New Mexico or Arizona.

You would think great religions were searching for the God Particle. Only science went looking for it.

Einstein once believed "God does not play dice with the universe." One would think religious leaders would have chimed in or at least do research. Nope. Only science keeps addressing that religious question.

Griff 08-30-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 967624)
I like those theater masks: pathos and laughos.

I see what you're doing.

Flint 10-12-2016 12:10 PM

Isn't this why Totalitarian governments seek to abolish religion? Or so "they" say.

Undertoad 10-12-2016 12:44 PM

That's the North Korean approach: "Your God is the State now, and I am its Lord and Savior."

But there's also the "authority derived from God" approach, as in all the kingdoms... "No need to vote or anything, our family was already hand-picked by God! Lucky for us! Bless His Wonderment! And by Wonderment I mean ME!"

Griff 10-12-2016 07:13 PM

Have you noticed how the politically religious ignore information contrary to their chosen narrative from sources once trustworthy like say Wikileaks.

xoxoxoBruce 11-01-2016 02:23 PM

Republican, evangelical, women secretly voting for Hillary.

tw 11-01-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 971038)
Have you noticed how the politically religious ignore information contrary to their chosen narrative from sources once trustworthy like say Wikileaks.

Examples?

Griff 07-08-2020 03:24 PM

Maybe politics is the new religion because it is religion?

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/08/88410...nder-obamacare

Because we all want more unwanted children and or abortions.

sexobon 07-09-2020 08:52 PM

Religions want as many children created as possible because they all believe those children will eventually support their religion. The Republican party has jumped onto that bandwagon.

Religions also want as many existing children imported as possible because they all believe those children will eventually support their religion. The Democratic party has jumped onto that bandwagon.

Religions have to go after both to get enough since there are many religions. There are fewer political parties; so, they don't have to go after both to get enough, only one or the other.

tw 07-09-2020 08:56 PM

So the purpose is to dominate mankind; not advance it?

sexobon 07-09-2020 09:25 PM

Advancement is in the eye of the beholder. Different accomplishments make different people happy.

xoxoxoBruce 07-09-2020 10:58 PM

Not dominate just firmly control.

tw 07-10-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055046)
Advancement is in the eye of the beholder.

So Hitler advanced mankind? Where did mankind advance to?

Griff 07-10-2020 07:46 AM

Across France and part-way through Russia?

Luce 07-10-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1055045)

That's always been obvious.

Religion is and has always been a means of gathering secular power. Only this and nothing more.

sexobon 07-10-2020 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1055072)
So Hitler advanced mankind? ...

You can think that if you want to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luce (Post 1055076)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1055045)

That's always been obvious. ...

Tw misses the obvious.

tw 07-11-2020 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055091)
You can think that if you want to.

Purpose of mankind was to dominate others only when one is, for example, a slave trader, a despot, Donald Trump, or others who crave power for egotistical or pathological reasons. Sexobon has just admitred he agrees with them.

sexobon 07-11-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1055072)
So Hitler advanced mankind? ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055091)
You can think that if you want to. ..

You're the one who introduced the concept. I'm only acknowledging that you are free think that if you want to. You wouldn't be speculating about it unless you believed in it. That's not a reflection on what I believe. Reading comprehension tw.

tw 07-11-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055106)
I'm only acknowledging that you are free think that if you want to.

You again acquiesce to your belief: dominating others is the purpose of mankind. You cannot defend it. It is your belief - and Hitler's.

That misguided belief underlies extremist philosophies. To impose those beliefs on all others. To dominate. Also explains why extremists love Trump. And want to 'wreck shit'.

The good people (moderates), instead, advocate and work for the advancement of mankind. Examples include 'team play' and protecting the right of others.

It is your right to also harm others? You believe it; don't deny it; so it must be true. Now refuse to defend it. Or retract that mistake. Extremism says the purpose of life is to dominate others. It is the religion - as even demonstrated in Charlottesville. Sexobon does not deny it.

sexobon 07-11-2020 03:28 PM

You're delusional with fear. You see extremists everywhere. Your paranoia gives rise to Stockholm Syndrome and you become the extremist. Then you engage in psychological projection secondary to your emotional defects and accuse others of being what you've become.

It's so obvious; but, you never get the obvious and end up being the only one believing what you say. It's not your fault tw. You've articulated how your father tried to kill Americans and that messed up your mind. TW, YOU ARE NOT YOUR FATHER. Alas, the damage is done and you shall remain forever impaired. Be consoled by the fact that here you are understood and we appreciate the entertainment you provide.

PS: You'd be happier if you'd stop being so defensive. Defensiveness is for losers.

Luce 07-13-2020 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055108)
You're delusional with fear. You see extremists everywhere. Your paranoia gives rise to Stockholm Syndrome and you become the extremist. Then you engage in psychological projection secondary to your emotional defects and accuse others of being what you've become.

It's so obvious; but, you never get the obvious and end up being the only one believing what you say. It's not your fault tw. You've articulated how your father tried to kill Americans and that messed up your mind. TW, YOU ARE NOT YOUR FATHER. Alas, the damage is done and you shall remain forever impaired. Be consoled by the fact that here you are understood and we appreciate the entertainment you provide.

PS: You'd be happier if you'd stop being so defensive. Defensiveness is for losers.

Gas lighting ain't what it used to be.

sexobon 07-13-2020 04:39 PM

I know, right? It used to be all one word.

tw 07-13-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055108)
You see extremists everywhere.

You are not everywhere. Lying but again.

sexobon 07-14-2020 04:11 PM

Am not, I'm sitting up.

tw 07-15-2020 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1055237)
Am not, I'm sitting up.

Always up and moving? You must be a progressive.

Is that also a religion?

Griff 07-31-2020 07:11 AM

https://www.psypost.org/2020/07/new-...pandemic-57514

A little more surprising, we found that Americans who are more religious (attend service more often, pray more often, feel religion is more important) seemed to engage in precautionary behaviors more frequently. In fact, once we accounted for Christian nationalist ideology in our models, being more religious was the leading predictor that someone frequently engaged in precautionary behaviors.

This suggests to us that polls are getting it wrong if they show Americans who are “more religious” are behaving incautiously regarding COVID-19. It’s not “religiousness” per se that’s leading Americans to resist expert recommendations to curb the spread of disease. It’s Christian nationalist ideology and all that’s associated with it.

glatt 07-31-2020 03:01 PM

Christian nationalism was a new term to me. No idea what it meant.
From the article, "Christian nationalism by definition includes the idea that God has a special place in his heart for America, his New Israel."

So it's a patriotism, 'Merica, kind of attitude. USA, USA, USA, God bless the USA! kind of thing.

Not so much of a Christian "love your neighbor" kind of thing.

Griff 07-31-2020 03:21 PM

Yeah, it's tribal. That would explain why things we take for granted as Christian values are not represented by these folks. It must be particularly distressing for actual practicing Christians to share a pew with folks who seem to relish otherizing and hate.

It is maybe unfair to call out groups of Christians when it is a vocal minority who've lost their way.

tw 07-31-2020 04:02 PM

That tribal attitude is a threat to everyone else. Just like Jenny McCarthy types, their religion (or whatever that tribalism should be called) means they become a threat to all others.

If a vaccine is available, everyone must take it within a prescribed time; for that vaccine will be effective. Anyone using a tribal attitude (refusing vaccines due to some emotionally inspired belief) puts all others back at risk when the vaccine's protective features expire.

For the same reason Jenny McCarthy also advocated the killing of so many other children (and a few at risk adults). Her tribal like emotions also justified her contempt for others.

If we had real leaders, where necessary (not narcissists), then a discussion of how a vaccine will be 'distributed fast enough' should already be in planning.

Ironically much of this was already done and planned for in the National Security Council. The Pandemic Playbook was completed in 2018. And completely disbanded and trashed in 2018 by Trump people - using cost controls (actually a tribal mentality) as an excuse.

xoxoxoBruce 08-01-2020 12:19 PM

Why is this vaccine's protection going to expire?

Griff 08-01-2020 12:52 PM

I think tw is hoping enough folks get vaccinated to create the condition of herd immunity soon. If folks choose to vaccinate too slowly the body count goes up.

xoxoxoBruce 08-01-2020 12:57 PM

I get that, but he's making it sound like the protection will diminish for the vaccinated people.