The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Politics is the new Religion (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32132)

tw 08-06-2016 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elSicomoro (Post 965642)
For those that don't know, this place is across the street from WBC.

Upwind or downwind?

Apparently upwind. That paint has not pealed from the walls.

elSicomoro 08-08-2016 03:24 PM

Depends on the wind...the houses are east of the church.

El Veto-Voter 08-24-2016 11:01 PM

Supreme Religion - bow down by voting

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 965568)
Seems to me, to be a political atheist is to say 'I don't believe in politics', which is dumb cuz politics is just a kind of human interaction, and humans interacting is demonstrably real.

I like 'heretic' better but that carries (to me) a sense of active rebellion, and I just ain't the time, energy, or interest for that.

Non serviam, as declaration, works, but isn't easy to label.

Indifferent (with a clinched fist)?

Apolitical (but knowing)?

*shrug*

What is the supreme religion on this planet?

Catholicism, Protestantism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Communism, Agnosticism, Liberal, Conservative, and all the others are just subsets of the one supreme religion: The Cult of the Omnipotent State!

"Infidel" seems to be an appropriate, if negatively charged, label for one who refuses to accept the precepts of any "faith". It literally means, "one without faith", and infidels were actively hunted down and killed in the dark ages (because they tended to shed light on things that the authorities preferred to keep in the dark).

I don't take offense at being called an "infidel" because I know its real meaning. Likewise with a lot of other good words that have developed negative stereotypes over the years.

One such term is "apathetic". It literally means "not pathetic". Now, how can it be better to be "pathetic" than to be "not pathetic"?

El Veto-Voter
www.HaltVote.com

tw 08-25-2016 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967460)

Science. Science explains god's laws better than anything else. Even terrorists worship it 'teachings' - ie big guns and bombs. God did not stop sending disciples after Christ died. We all know them as Einstein, Gandhi, Newton, Mandella, Higgs, Gauss, Bardeen and Brattain.

BigV 08-25-2016 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967460)
snip-- l
One such term is "apathetic". It literally means "not pathetic". Now, how can it be better to be "pathetic" than to be "not pathetic"?

El Veto-Voter
www.HaltVote.com

Welcome to the cellar, El Veto-Voter!

I'll answer your question. It's better when the correct understanding of the word in your context is used, meaning feeling or passion or motivation. Being apathetic is to be without those qualities. And you don't strike me as apathetic. :)

love-sites 08-25-2016 09:30 PM

Show your feeling to others.

regular.joe 08-26-2016 11:59 PM

Greek pathos meaning suffering. Greek Pathetikos meaning sensitive. Pathetic means affecting the emotions. Apathetic means not affecting the emotions. But, really, who cares?

infinite monkey 08-27-2016 01:55 AM

I like those theater masks: pathos and laughos.

glatt 08-27-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

But, really, who cares?

I like what you did there.

classicman 08-27-2016 10:01 AM

ditto

BigV 08-27-2016 11:59 AM

regular-freakin-joe is back!

LAUGHOS, from pure happiness! Welcome back!!!!!

tw 08-28-2016 10:09 AM

Apathetic Joe says, "But, really, who cares?"

Now he is gone. Since we are all apathetic (adults who are not children), then we also do not care?

El Veto-Voter 08-28-2016 06:00 PM

Catholicism, Protestantism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Communism, Agnosticism, Liberal, Conservative, and all the others are just subsets of the one supreme religion: The Cult of the Omnipotent State!

tw 08-29-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Veto-Voter (Post 967782)

Science. Also explains why organized religion have a long history of trying to subvert all science - the competition. Even in early 1950s when first organ transplants were attempted. And with stem cell research today. Worst case examples include wahhabism that hates and attacks the advancement of mankind - in the name of their religious beliefs.

An ironic exception is astronomy performed by the Catholic Church in, I believe, New Mexico or Arizona.

You would think great religions were searching for the God Particle. Only science went looking for it.

Einstein once believed "God does not play dice with the universe." One would think religious leaders would have chimed in or at least do research. Nope. Only science keeps addressing that religious question.

Griff 08-30-2016 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 967624)
I like those theater masks: pathos and laughos.

I see what you're doing.