The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What am I doing? I'm totally insane. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24268)

Clodfobble 12-29-2010 03:11 PM

What am I doing? I'm totally insane.

I keep moving forward with this plan, even though part of me is screaming that I'm a moron. But that's kind of how I've done everything in my life. I always figure, I'll just get it started, and I can always quit tomorrow if I want. But like the Red Queen says, today is never any other day...

I have registered as a student. I have laid out a tentative schedule of the prerequisites I need before the "intensive year" of the program starts. I have found an excellent special needs inclusion preschool, and worked out the total cost for both kids over the summer, and one kid half-time going into the school year. If I can't get a loan, we'll pull it out of the IRA under the non-penalizing heading of medical costs.

If all goes According To Plan, 3 years from now I will have my master's degree and my nurse practioner's license. WTF am I thinking?

skysidhe 12-29-2010 04:01 PM

All great ideas have to start at the beginning. lol ~skysidhe quote

You'll make a great nurse practitioner.

Nirvana 12-29-2010 04:02 PM

Hooray for you and everyone you will help! :)

Griff 12-29-2010 04:03 PM

You are thinking wisely. It is a PIA but we all need to set a course once in a while. Good luck, the world needs NPs with your background.

Lamplighter 12-29-2010 04:43 PM

Heading for a NP is heavy duty, especially for Moms.
My daughter just finished her MS in Nursing, and is planning,
but a tad apprehensive, her NP courses starting early next year.
She feels she has ~20 years more of nursing employment, and the NP will be of real value.

But, what would the dreams be if you were not reaching for the more difficult goals ?
Some Moms just know no barriers.

So, best of wishes to your progress.

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2010 06:06 PM

Yeah you're nuts, what's new? :haha:
As long as you are willing to let go of the goal, if it makes a major undesirable impact on the kids/family/you. Goals that must be completed at all costs, usually cost all.

footfootfoot 12-29-2010 11:03 PM

Add 2 more years and become a doctor. Why? because chicken thigh, that's why.

Clodfobble 12-29-2010 11:08 PM

That's funny, that's what my dad said. He tried to sort of talk around it, but he considers nursing to be a rather un-intellectual career. He outright refused to believe that nurse practitioners have prescription pads with their own names on them, kept telling me that I had them confused with Physician's Assistants.

plthijinx 12-29-2010 11:16 PM

unintellectual? really?

xoxoxoBruce 12-29-2010 11:22 PM

Tell Dad the Veteran's hospitals will pay you $80 to $100k. ;)

wolf 12-30-2010 12:15 AM

Physician Assistants don't have their own prescription pads ... they have the one belonging to the doctor they work under who has to countersign every prescription they write.

Nurse practitioners do have their own.

It is unusual to hear of someone who is not already an RN entering an RN-P program, but hey, if it's what you want to shoot for, go for it.

xoxoxoBruce 12-30-2010 08:50 AM

I don't know why she would give up the life of luxury as a stay at home mom, with nothing but Bonbons and soap operas. :lol2:

Trilby 12-30-2010 08:57 AM

good luck Clodfobble! you can do it, woman!!

TheMercenary 12-30-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 702312)
That's funny, that's what my dad said. He tried to sort of talk around it, but he considers nursing to be a rather un-intellectual career. He outright refused to believe that nurse practitioners have prescription pads with their own names on them, kept telling me that I had them confused with Physician's Assistants.

Depends on the state. Prescriptive authority is different in each of them. If I returned to my home state I could get it. In GA it is based on your area of specialty. And besides doctors are married to their jobs, becoming a NP ensures you will remain married to your husband. And besides, it is more than 2 more years, a lot more.

TheMercenary 12-30-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 702328)
Physician Assistants don't have their own prescription pads ... they have the one belonging to the doctor they work under who has to countersign every prescription they write.

Nurse practitioners do have their own.

That is the beauty of not becoming a PA IMHO. PA programs do not require you to have a medical background to enter them.