The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   6/5/2004: Strange cassettes found in downtown Philly (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5989)

Undertoad 06-05-2004 10:04 AM

6/5/2004: Strange cassettes found in downtown Philly

http://cellar.org/2004/phillytapes.jpg

Wednesday morning, a patrolling cop finds a cassette tape, taped with a paper airplane, attached to a pole near city hall. A street cleaner tells him there was another one that he took down nearby.

The tapes were enclosed in plastic sandwich bags and paper airplanes were taped alongside. The officer played one tape in his patrol car and says it contained "a Middle Eastern language." The area was cordoned off. Federal investigators and bomb-sniffing dogs were brought in.

And that's where this story ends so far. Hoax? Confusion? Game? Innocent communique between friends? Or the evidence of a more serious plot? Well, who the hell knows. No further information.

So many of these things turn out to be nothing that it's hard to know whether to pay attention to them. A storage locker full of C4 plastic explosive at the bus station. An empty rocket launcher found at the bottom of the river.

For a long time in 2002-2003 it really felt like the shit was going to hit the fan, but it was the same feeling in some ways as we had in an earlier era, when there was always a chance of a nuclear bomb being dropped. In some ways it still feels like that.

But I'm still going downtown today.

full story

wolf 06-05-2004 10:28 AM

The adventure continues ... in a story which is not confirmed to be related ...

Piles of white powder were found in front of several buildings in Center City yesterday including Police Headquarters and the Philadelphia Mint. The reports indicated that an "Indian looking man" was seen placing the powder at one or more of the locations.

The substance was tested and is supposed to be "mostly corn starch".

xoxoxoBruce 06-05-2004 12:18 PM

Maybe Ridge's boys are testing local response.:confused:

jaguar 06-05-2004 01:02 PM

I know if I was planning a major terrorist attack the first thing I would do would be to put tapes of my ideas in plastic bags and tape them to nearby poles.

wolf 06-05-2004 01:14 PM

The testing was actually done in Early to Mid May. There were drills for a biological attacks carried out in Montgomery County (at King of Prussia Mall) and in Philadelphia (at the National Constitution Center and at the Linc ... activities at the Linc included a SWAT assault.)

I was in the Emergency Operations Center for Montgomery County during the drill. Interesting to see how the response gets coordinated.

Last year I attended a similar drill at Willow Grove Mall ... the scenario was an explosion of a dirty bomb in the food court, but the first responders didn't have that piece of information and so became victims themselves ...

They are playing these games with some very realistic scenarios.

chrisinhouston 06-05-2004 10:33 PM

The article says in part:
"Around 8:15 a.m. a patrol officer spotted an audio cassette taped to a utility pole outside the Masonic Temple "

Always knew those Masons were up to something...

Bunglerocks 06-07-2004 10:32 AM

Can anyone enlighten me on what the significance of Philadelphia may or may not be?

jaguar 06-07-2004 10:38 AM

Well, if you let off a nuke in philly, it'd hit areas that actually do matter.
*ducks and rolls*

russotto 06-07-2004 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bunglerocks
Can anyone enlighten me on what the significance of Philadelphia may or may not be?
Philadelphia: A relatively small and unimportant city located between Washington D.C. and New York. Of some minor historical interest due to the Declaration of Independence being signed there.

Griff 06-07-2004 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by russotto

Philadelphia: A relatively small and unimportant city located between Washington D.C. and New York. Of some minor historical interest due to the Declaration of Independence being signed there.

If bin Laden's war were about freedom it would be a logical target. It isn't. That said if they* want to maintain terror spending 2 bucks on a cassette is pretty cost effective.

*choose a group that gains from terror

Beestie 06-07-2004 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bunglerocks
New York was an attempt to bring the world economy to a grinding halt. Washington was an attempt to decapitate the world's lone superpower. Philly is the cheesesteak capital of Planet Earth.

wolf 06-07-2004 12:37 PM

And hoagies. Don't forget hoagies.

You really CAN'T get those anywhere else.

chrisinhouston 06-07-2004 12:46 PM

Hey look at the guy just to the rignt of the pole, I think he's talking into his cuff, must be with the Secret Service. Check out the sunglasses and the lapel pin.

Uh you don't think it was Travis Bickle who put it there?

xoxoxoBruce 06-07-2004 01:05 PM

I'm sure they know what the tape says by now. Wonder If we'll ever know?:confused:

lookout123 06-07-2004 10:23 PM

uh, you guys forgot the famous philly blunt. if all of those burned in a single day... oh wait, you would probably be laughing your ass off in a sort of relaxed way, while watching news reports about a run on all of the vending machines in the city.