The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Squirrel, anyone? (other than po' trailer trash) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24874)

monster 04-07-2011 09:53 PM

Squirrel, anyone? (other than po' trailer trash)

;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-12999919

squirell nutkin 04-08-2011 07:31 AM

:eyebrow:

infinite monkey 04-08-2011 08:55 AM

Sundae 04-08-2011 11:34 AM

I'd eat it.
I haven't yet, but if I could afford to eat at that level of restaurant (ironic, huh?) I would.

Yumyum.

Gravdigr 04-08-2011 02:07 PM

Quote:

Richard Alexander, from the Spoon Cafe, said the animals, which are subject to a cull, have low air miles and are completely free range.
WTF?

Gravdigr 04-08-2011 02:08 PM

Guess they ain't flying squirrels?

:lol2:

Gravdigr 04-08-2011 02:09 PM

I've et 'em. Tasty.

Late Grandmadigr's neighbor used to cook scrambled eggs with squirrel brains in 'em.:yum:

Sundae 04-08-2011 02:18 PM

If you genuinely mean WTF Grav, I'll elucidate.
Being a maritime temperate climate (cool, lots of rain), but having a taste for exotic food partly fuelled by Colonialism, a lot of food is imported into the UK. There is a push to encourage people to simply eat seasonally, and only have overseas food as a treat.

For example don't buy strawberries in February, as they have to be flown in from ?Guatemala? For sure have the occasional avocado, as they are not grown here, but try to wait for your asparagus and buy British when it's in season.

It's especially powerful when it comes to meat; we import a lot of lamb (for example) from New Zealand, as their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. But it comes halfway round the world. Instead, try some meat from your doorstep. Or the roadside :)

Of course free-range animals will always be more expensive than those caged and/ or cultivated. Hence squirrel not being a cheap choice. Not much on the little critters either. But I'd rather eat a squirrel than have it incinerated. Mmmmm, nutty goodness.

footfootfoot 04-08-2011 03:19 PM

A number of friends of mine who grew up in Vermont ate squirrel pretty regularly. Not now so much, especially since mom and dad aren't around to whup them if they don't clean their plates.

Rhianne 04-08-2011 08:35 PM

We call them 'tree rats'.

Glinda 04-09-2011 12:51 PM

MMmmmmm! Burgoo!

Quote:

Recipe for Burgoo Stew

8 squirrel brains (scrambled)
1 lb. venison
½ gallon chicken broth
1 ½ cups of sautéed peppers and onions
¾ cup of potatoes
Pinch of salt

Mix in pot and let simmer for 3 hours.
:repuke:

Gravdigr 04-10-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 722107)
If you genuinely mean WTF Grav, I'll elucidate.
Being a maritime temperate climate (cool, lots of rain), but having a taste for exotic food partly fuelled by Colonialism, a lot of food is imported into the UK. There is a push to encourage people to simply eat seasonally, and only have overseas food as a treat.

For example don't buy strawberries in February, as they have to be flown in from ?Guatemala? For sure have the occasional avocado, as they are not grown here, but try to wait for your asparagus and buy British when it's in season.

It's especially powerful when it comes to meat; we import a lot of lamb (for example) from New Zealand, as their seasons are the exact opposite of ours. But it comes halfway round the world. Instead, try some meat from your doorstep. Or the roadside :)

Of course free-range animals will always be more expensive than those caged and/ or cultivated. Hence squirrel not being a cheap choice. Not much on the little critters either. But I'd rather eat a squirrel than have it incinerated. Mmmmm, nutty goodness.

I'll buy that. I wanted to think "they don't mean airmiles literally", but, I see that they did. I overthunk it.

Kthxbai.

GunMaster357 04-11-2011 03:21 AM

I would give it a try. Like those wild squirrels, I'm game.

FishHook004 04-19-2011 03:49 PM

Coming from a true Cajun from Louisiana, the best thing you can do with a squirrel iis make squirrel & dumplin's... Delicious

squirell nutkin 04-25-2011 10:16 PM