The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boston Bomb Scare (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13220)

Kitsune 01-31-2007 02:42 PM

Boston Bomb Scare

2 Attachment(s)
Someone gets some circuit boards, solders some LEDs to them, attaches a battery and magnets and puts them around Boston in a bit of creative prank/graffiti fun.

...and then everyone freaks out.

Quote:

A source close to the investigation told WBZ it was a "sophisticated electronic device" that somebody placed there for a reason. It was not an explosive device and police say it did not pose any danger to anyone.

The device, a large circuit board with wires and batteries, was found attached to a beam with magnets about 15-to-20 feet above a busway that runs below an elevated section of the highway.

A bomb squad officer removed it and authorities blasted it with a water cannon around 10 a.m. to render it useless. The highway and T station re-opened a short time later.
On CNN they're calling the placing of the light-up Adult Swim character Ignignokt a "potential terrorist dry run" and that the devices were "engineered to look like real bombs".

My, my, we're a twitchy and nervous lot these days.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 02:50 PM

Boston, eh?

It seems a bit banal for an MIT hack, but I suppose a freshman's gotta start somewhere...

Flint 01-31-2007 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mooninite Quote Generator

Well for one thing, the moon has one third less gravity than your earth, I don't know if you can understand that, but our vertical leap is beyond all measurement. -Ignignokt

Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.' -Ignignokt

Here on the moon, our weekends are so advanced, they encompass the entire week. -Ignignokt

Bow your heads or I'll bow em for ya! -Err

Kitsune 01-31-2007 02:59 PM

Thank god it wasn't Mario blocks.

glatt 01-31-2007 03:00 PM

WTF? It's just an LED throwie on steroids.

Kitsune 01-31-2007 03:24 PM

For what they look like up close, along with pictures of what they look like lit up, check here.

Flint 01-31-2007 03:27 PM

It's a fuckin' Lite-Brite.

Kitsune 01-31-2007 03:30 PM

Pretty fancy lite-bright. The boards look professionally printed.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 04:05 PM

Hopping around the coverage of this, I gotta say- who do "the officials" think is menacing our country? A Batman villain? Do they seriously think that a bomb is going to be covered with blinky lights in the form of a cartoon character?

Flint 01-31-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 311905)
Do they seriously think that a bomb is going to be covered with blinky lights in the form of a cartoon character?

That's why they call it terrorism: they want you to know that it's a bomb, but you can't get to it (much less decide whether to clip the blue or the red wire, oh no! the red wire made it go faster!) because it's, like, ten feet up in the air and you don't have a ladder.

Oh my God has anybody got a ladde-BOOM!!! That's the terror part.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 04:59 PM

Apparently they're ads. I thought they were a bit boring for MIT.

Flint 01-31-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger."
Revised from: We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger, you fucking morons.

Quote:

...the objects had been in place for two to three weeks in
Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Austin, San Francisco, and Philadelphia.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 05:14 PM

On the plus side for Turner, they can now start selling them. Boston just made them the hot commodity on college campuses across the nation.

BigV 01-31-2007 05:41 PM

I liked (not) the part about
Quote:

...City and state officials tried to quell fears today at a press conference at about the time Turner Broadcasting took responsibility for the publicity stunt. Boston Mayor Thomas promised to prosecute those responsible for what was described at the time as a hoax.

"This is not playing around," said Menino, who added that each individual scare could be punishable by two to three years in prison.
Good grief. What if I thought the "lost dog" flyers stapled to telephone poles in my neighborhood were "scary"? 2-3 years per flyer? I'm going to jail because you're a ninny? What happens if the bad guys make a bomb that looks like, I dunno, say, A CAR?!?! Will I get 2-3 years for scaring people who see my car? Wait, I own two cars, that's 4-6 years.

:smack:

Am I the only one that thinks the "bad guys" are wetting their pants with laughter at the overreaction here? Don't get me wrong--Terrorists==bad. I know that. But prosecuting people for, um, advertising? You're joking, right? No, I didn't think so.

Happy Monkey 01-31-2007 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 311922)
Am I the only one that thinks the "bad guys" are wetting their pants with laughter at the overreaction here? Don't get me wrong--Terrorists==bad. I know that. But prosecuting people for, um, advertising? You're joking, right? No, I didn't think so.

I can support some littering fines, but that's about it.

Here's a first-person account.