The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   5/1: Blue lobster (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=213)

Undertoad 05-01-2001 03:49 PM

http://cellar.org/pictures/bluelobster.jpg

Caught off the coast, this crusty old lad is a well-understood mutation... one in 2,000,000 lobsters come out of the water this color.

Anyone hear George Carlin's old "there's no blue food" routine? Well here it is, blue food.

adamzion 05-02-2001 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Tony Shepps
http://cellar.org/pictures/bluelobster.jpg

Caught off the coast, this crusty old lad is a well-understood mutation... one in 2,000,000 lobsters come out of the water this color.

Anyone hear George Carlin's old "there's no blue food" routine? Well here it is, blue food.

Blueberries? Plums? Grapes?

Plenty o' blue food.

Myself, I don't consider something that looks, to me at leasst, like a great big blue bug to be especially appetizing.

But, there I go, being kosher again,
Z

jaguar 05-03-2001 02:30 AM

i've hard of cows producing purple milk after eating tons of blackberries but this is crazy, hmmm still looks tasty...

richlevy 05-03-2001 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jaguar
i've hard of cows producing purple milk after eating tons of blackberries but this is crazy, hmmm still looks tasty...
Yes, but what is the color after you steam/boil it?

jaguar 05-04-2001 02:50 AM

don't ask me, i haven't had the oppotunity to try, what color is the lobster here after you steam it?

alphageek31337 05-04-2001 11:42 PM

Post-Cooking

After you boil them, they turn a vibrant red, just like you'd expect normal lobster to be colored. I remember this because it threw off the color scheme of this meal i was preparing (still delicious, but eh). Apparently the blood vessels flowing to the carapace burst when you boil it. That, and they scream, which is really eery, especially if you're only used to cooking stuff that's extrmemly dead

jaguar 05-05-2001 01:27 AM

yes, it woudl be, i prefer it when my food dosne't scream at me oddly enough.
Pretty cruel way to kill it, i say kill it first, i wouldn't mind(ok i would but if i was a lobster), if some1 ate me after i was dead but i'd rather they let me die b4 i was boiledm what a painful way to go, i hate too hot baths as it is.

zeolite 05-11-2001 12:00 PM

If you kill the lobster first, the toxins in the blood react differently than when you boil it and make it taste bad and/or make you sick. There is also a debate on the screaming thing. Many think that it is just steam hissing out from inside the lobster as it boils.

Whatever the case, it's cruel any way you slice it. But, mmmmm boy, thems a tasty lobster by!

shipwreckdan 11-10-2003 07:03 PM

Dead lobsters aren't bad.... and they dont make u sick. I'm a commercial lobsterboat deckhand, and when they die in transport (pots in ocean to tanks on land) we eat'em. We just break the tail and claws off, and throw the body in the channel. Sometimes u get a lobster that has just molt, and if their shell is still "soft" (crunchy..not firm to the squeeze) there's not much meat in them, mostly runny juice. This happens in some that have "cancer" too(some wierd shell condition that affects a small percentage of lobsters. Shells look kinda like there rusted, and very fragile). Never seen a blue one yet, but i've only been doing this for 2 years.

So in conclusing, u can eat them when they're broken, even after they've died, and u wont get sick. I should know, cause i get a third of the dead ones from each trip. When they're bad they smell bad, thats a pretty safe rule with all seafood.

Well i'm gonna grab a nap, heading back out tonight 11pm. 8 hr steam to the grounds.
Dan
Commercial fisherman

xoxoxoBruce 11-10-2003 08:16 PM

Welcome to the Cellar Dan. Be carefull of the sharks out there.....and in here.:D

Uryoces 11-10-2003 08:55 PM

Welcome Dan! I think you can stick the lobster in the fridge, and it will lose consiousness and slip into a coma. You drop it in the pot and cook it up. It's probably steam escaping from the shell.

Never cooked one myself, but I helped my inlaws eat a mess of mudbugs last 4th of july.

xoxoxoBruce 11-10-2003 10:44 PM

Hey !! How come that skinny little guy Tony Shepps started this thread. Where's Undertoad?? :D

Elspode 11-10-2003 11:02 PM

WTFAYTA?

quzah 11-11-2003 12:13 AM

It's amusing that people will eat lobsters, but freak out if a bug gets in their food. They're just bugs of the sea. Very cool to watch though. I can't picture eating one. That's what gets me. It's so damn cool to watch all kinds of life wander around, why would I want to bring an end to it?

What did you expect, it's a "food" thread. I had to make some comment. Plus I needed an excuse to test my tag line.

Quzah.

xoxoxoBruce 11-11-2003 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Elspode
WTFAYTA?
look. How many Tony Shepps do you see?