The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   May 25th, 2016: Sleepbus (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31985)

xoxoxoBruce 05-24-2016 10:53 PM

May 25th, 2016: Sleepbus

There have been many long distance bus services with sleeping arrangements.
This is they latest to toss their hat in the ring, a Volvo truck with sleeping pods, between LA and 'Frisco for $48.

http://cellar.org/2016/sleepbus-1.jpg

Quote:

Each pod has an electric socket (so you can power and charge your devices while under way) and there's on-board wifi, desks should you prefer to sit up and work, coffee and tea, and room for three bags and even a bicycle in the luggage compartment. The whole trip takes about seven hours, which is a bit longer than the typical hour-and-twenty-minute flight between LAX and SFO, even once you take into account extra time for check-in, clearing security, and transit. But the SleepBus travels overnight, so you leave one city at 11 pm and arrive at the other end by 6 am.
Plus they'll even let you stay on board until 7:30 if you want to sleep in a little.
Weather and traffic permitting, but taking your bike is cool for people wanting to pedal their ass at the other end.
http://cellar.org/2016/sleepbus-2.jpg
Quote:

To get the word out, the company is offering one-way trips for $48. That's expected to go up to $65 once things are fully up and running, but that's still cheaper than the cheapest nonpromotional airfare you're going to find, even on a budget carrier like Southwest. Add in the convenience of its pickup and drop-off locations at the Caltrain station in San Francisco and the Santa Monica Pier in LA and the SleepBus strikes us as a viable alternative to air travel, and a far better option than the Greyhound – at least until the high-speed train is complete.
I wonder how much longer is really is when you don't have to deal with the TSA, or check your bike?
I don't see any seatbelts or drug dogs... yet.
The two guys starting this venture say they think it's viable system for cities under 400 miles apart, and they are pursuing a new
suspension system by BOSE.

link

burns334 05-25-2016 06:04 AM

I like it but it sounds to cheap, you get a room for the night and end up at destination. Heck, gas from LA to SF by car has to be $40

glatt 05-25-2016 10:23 AM

I also think it sounds a little too cheap. Are they going to hire someone to clean the bus in between trips and change the sheets and pillowcases? Fuel costs, driver wages, housekeeping. The margins seem really narrow even at $65/ticket.

I have to assume they have done the math and have thought of all this, but I dunno. Looks like the bus only sleeps 12, but hard to tell from the pictures.

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2016 11:08 AM

I'm sure if it becomes popular there will be people willing to sit at the table or share a bunk with a "buddy". I guess there would some sort of steward to keep everyone honest and quiet. This could develop a hundred different ways.

Gravdigr 05-25-2016 11:23 AM

I bet that thing is an absolute bitch to drive anywhere but in a straight line.

glatt 05-25-2016 11:55 AM

And likely to bottom out in the rear if it is driving up a curb cut into a gas station or similar.

xoxoxoBruce 05-25-2016 01:14 PM

Shouldn't be harder than a big bus to maneuver. Not a city rig, carefully chosen routes and terminations.

Clodfobble 05-25-2016 07:39 PM

Looks like it's just a tour bus that they've figured out how to rent out. What do you think all of the rock stars sleep on when they're criss-crossing the country on tour?

SPUCK 06-09-2016 02:35 AM

Great idea! I truly hope it works out.
Personally I think $65 one way is a steal for that miserable trip.

I shan't hold my breath for the $70B farm screwing rat-hole of a train-to-nowhere either.

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2016 02:57 AM

I think the $65 is the rate they set to attract enough riders for them to become a word of mouth network. I'm sure it'll go up, but if they can make money at less than $100, it should be a hit.
One site mentioned it's not a long wheelbase bus, but a close coupled truck and trailer. They may have been talking out their ass, but if that's true, there are all kinds of state laws about people riding in trailers. I don't know where CA stands on that. I can't imagine them starting this venture without looking into it.

Clodfobble 06-09-2016 05:48 AM

If it's a trailer, wouldn't that mean the end swings a lot more on turns and lane changes? I bet it's not a quiet ride.

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2016 11:13 AM

A trailer with the center of mass forward of the axle doesn't wander, it will follow a predictable path. The trailer axle will follow a shorter radius on sharp turns like intersections, and closer to that of the tractor anywhere else.
I know an empty uhaul behind a car sometimes looks like a balloon pulled by a string, but heavy rigs don't behave that way. The rig would have to be driven aggressively/recklessly, for that to happen.

Gravdigr 06-09-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 961921)
One site mentioned it's not a long wheelbase bus, but a close coupled truck and trailer.

If it is indeed a "close coupled truck and trailer" there's some amazing technology going on there, because the truck part only has one axle.:yelsick:

xoxoxoBruce 06-09-2016 12:01 PM

That's what made me think they were talking out their ass.

BigV 06-18-2016 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 961958)
If it is indeed a "close coupled truck and trailer" there's some amazing technology going on there, because the truck part only has one axle.:yelsick:

We have articulated busses here with three axles, and it's the single axle "trailer" that has the motor, rear drive, pushing the bus.

Freaky.