The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Bad News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24738)

Big Sarge 09-07-2011 10:18 AM

ok. my followup was scheduled for the 14th. They just called and want me in tomorrow due to test results. im worried

classicman 09-07-2011 11:36 AM

Good luck.

monster 09-07-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 754799)
ok. my followup was scheduled for the 14th. They just called and want me in tomorrow due to test results. im worried

But at least you're not being ignored. I wish you all the best for tomorrow.

Gravdigr 09-07-2011 04:28 PM

Positive thoughts, man. They're just staying on top of things.

Griff 09-07-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 754869)
But at least you're not being ignored. I wish you all the best for tomorrow.

This.

Good luck man.

DanaC 09-07-2011 05:05 PM

What they all said *hugs*

Big Sarge 09-08-2011 04:37 AM

Pain is pretty rough. I'm trying to find someone to drive me.

DanaC 09-08-2011 06:12 AM

Ack. Any luck finding a lift?

Big Sarge 09-08-2011 08:03 PM

Here's the word from the VA. My tumor has grown, but they will be able to remove it without damaging the optic nerve. If I can build my resistance up enough, hopefully I will have surgery next month. I have begun cortisone therapy.

Had one of my officers drive me up.

Griff 09-08-2011 08:07 PM

Stay positive Sarge. We're rooting for you.

classicman 09-08-2011 08:39 PM

Well that was better news than expected, no? At least they can operate and hopefully remove the source of your problems.
Wishing you all the best through this.

Big Sarge 09-10-2011 11:24 PM

I screwed up big time. I took a flu shot.

Lola Bunny 09-11-2011 12:36 PM

I hope you won't feel too crappy.

Big Sarge 09-19-2011 10:49 AM

I'm doing fairly well. I can fell the difference the axiron & cortisone are making. My prolactin levels are still hovering around 17. I'm a little run down from making Guard Drills on back to back weekends, but I really needed the money. Plus I had 3 days of Grand Jury and one of my cases was the rape of a 12 year old (carries life sentence).

Spexxvet 09-19-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 755685)
I screwed up big time. I took a flu shot.

Stick to tequila

Big Sarge 09-19-2011 02:20 PM

Can't drink tequila straight. I'm too much of a wuss. I love margaritas, but I'm more of a rum fan. I love mojitos!! Plus, I'll take a shot of shine (quality not made in a radiator)

Plus I'm getting a little worried about mixing alcohol with my valuim and xanax. I did that earlier in this episode and I guess I'm lucky I didn't kill myself.

BigV 09-19-2011 03:32 PM

tis clear as a cloudless sky ye jes need bettr tay-keel-lar.

Big Sarge 10-05-2011 06:10 AM

Spent the day at the VA in Memphis. Guess what?? Another possible diagnosis. I have appointments on the 13th, 14th, and 17th. I'll fill you in more after this because this is getting so very confusing. BTW, my cortisol is almost in normal ranges, but my human growth hormone is high. Testosterone is doing well with the Axiron

Gravdigr 10-05-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 757025)
...one of my cases was the rape of a 12 year old (carries life sentence).

It should.

Big Sarge 10-06-2011 05:56 PM

Sometimes I think my illness would be cured by a good jug of shine & a beautiful Brit. If not, at least I would go with a smile on my face

BigV 10-06-2011 07:01 PM

Big Sarge:

You should watch this video. It's about a guy who's been in the news recently, Steve Jobs. He definitely had his shit together, and this is an excerpt of what he said to some young people recently.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Jobs
snip--

My third story is about death.

When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: "If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right." It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?" And whenever the answer has been "No" for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.

Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with cancer. I had a scan at 7:30 in the morning, and it clearly showed a tumor on my pancreas.

This was the closest I've been to facing death, and I hope it's the closest I get for a few more decades. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you with a bit more certainty than when death was a useful but purely intellectual concept:

No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

There's a lot more and it's all very good, please do read it. The stuff I believe, I *KNOW* on this subject sounds like a fucking Hallmark card. I won't drown you in my treacle. Jobs makes my point. This is the life you have *now*. Live it, don't just wish it.

Big Sarge 10-14-2011 08:29 PM

Nive post BigV. Here's what I know as of today. Possible Neurosarcadosis (6mm) affecting the pituitary, however everything is within norm taking the Axiron gel except for elevated HGH levels. They have just identified a 1cm mass in my right temporal lobe. I still don't know what this will mean until the doctor visit on the 17th.

If anyone knows anything about temporal lobe massses, please fill me in. I admit I am a little scared

Big Sarge 10-15-2011 08:29 AM

well reading about temporal lobe tumors have scared the shit out of me!!! has anyone on here had one??

classicman 10-15-2011 10:20 AM

Try reading this page. I have a caringbridge account for my son. There are many who use carepages as well. Depending upon your situation, you may want to set one up. You can also find others who may be in a similar situation who can offer guidance and/or support.
I ran a search and got this page. (dunno if you can see it or if you have to register first)
Found: 55 CarePages website results; 213 Profile results; 185 Discussion forum results

Wishing you the best.
IF you want more info, PM me.

DanaC 10-15-2011 10:44 AM

I went looking online and found quite a few people with less scary stories Sarge. Lots of people seemingly have surgery and treatment and make good recoveries.

monster 10-15-2011 04:15 PM

Of course you're scared. But to be honest, I'm seeing mostly good stories too. Mostly involving almost immediate improvement in symptoms and very few side effects -and most of those manageable with a little cognitive reprogramming. Chin up, dude. :)

Gravdigr 10-15-2011 04:31 PM

Good vibes to ya, ya big ol' Sargey thing you.

Lola Bunny 10-15-2011 10:15 PM

Sarge, doing research will only freak you out. Take a few deep breaths and try not to think about it. Go out and do something fun to keep your mind off of things.

Sundae 10-16-2011 01:49 PM

In the end, all I can honestly say is Bloody Hell.
Haven't you been through enough?

I can't suggest anything, or make anything better.
Just to say hang in there and lots of love.

BrilliantDisguise 10-16-2011 02:17 PM

Wishing you the best Sarge.

Big Sarge 10-17-2011 03:59 PM

Well had more tests today & didn't even get to talk to the doctor. They seem more concerned about the abnormal HGH than these hings growing in my head!! Arghhh. Anyway, I get to see the doctor next Monday. Another week of friggin worry.

The only thing that might brighten my outlook is if some of the female dwellars posted some NSFW pics. Hint -hint. (Pity??)

monster 10-17-2011 05:13 PM

Did you spell out to them that that is what you were worried about?

Big Sarge 10-17-2011 05:23 PM

I keep seeing residents & lab personnel. I have to wait to see the attending at the VA.
Today was private pay. I saw a nurse & she was very nice but couldn't discuss anything. The doctor wants these lab results before he talks to me.

monster 10-17-2011 05:32 PM

That sucks so much :(

Big Sarge 10-25-2011 01:28 PM

I can't handle this anymore. The VA doctors are nice to me, but the waiting list for appointments is ridiculous. So now I either have 2 microadenomas or neurosacrcadosis, but I am responding to treatment. I have to private pay for one of the meds because the VA won't cover it (Axiron). The endo clinic can't do anything about the 1 cm mass in my right temporal lobe. They are referring me to neurology in April. BTW, They had found the 1cm mass in May but just told me about it this month.

Psych meds: They had upped me to 80 mgm of celexa and it was working good. Then they let my prescription run out forcing me into serotonin withdrawl. They had cancelled my prescription without telling me the FDA says the max dose can only be 40mgm. So I finally got a 30 day supply & now the VA has decided the max dose can only be 20 mgm. Now they've ordered a different med for me to start hopefully next week.

I'm so frustrated!! Different departments don't talk to eachother in the VA. When I was there 2 weeks ago and told them I was out of psych meds, endo couldn't give me a refill. Also, they didn't tell me about the temporal lobe mass. I only found out when I requested a copy of my records & then the resident told me they have to send me to neuro in 6 months.

Yes it is poor pitiful me. I have something causing masses in my head. My going on & off psych meds is affecting my personal life. My job is going to hell and I expect to be fired at anytime! I can't handle this. I am past my breaking point.

Thank you for letting me vent

monster 10-25-2011 02:21 PM

ugh. Move to UK, marry Sundae, get NHS.

sorry, sarge, it all sounds so horribly, horribly compex at a time when that is nearly the last thing you need.

Does the ?army have any non-medical counsellors to help with legal things and the like, who you could get to advocate for you?

limey 10-25-2011 02:47 PM

Oh Sarge. I'm sending you a big ole pile of British hugs. I have no practical advice to offer, but maybe Monster is on the money? Can you get an advocate/counsellor/care -worker of some sort to help you beat the medical profession into submission?

SamIam 10-25-2011 02:53 PM

The VA absolutely sucks. Sorry you are having to go through all this Sarge. :(

Gravdigr 10-25-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 766615)
BTW, They had found the 1cm mass in May but just told me about it this month.

I'd have went to jail. As God as my witness, I'd've bounced off the ceiling. Even I can't believe how mad that makes me. There just can not be a reason to have withheld that type of information from you. For five fucking months!!

JFC.:facepalm:

Big Sarge 10-25-2011 03:29 PM

my oldest daughter left school early to come over and stay with me. my ex-wife is even ging to bring me some dinner and talk to me. she is a psych counselor. i just let the crap get the best of me today

Big Sarge 10-26-2011 05:40 PM

Sorry for the poor pitiful me shit last night. Family stayed with me and then I had Addie today. So I'm in better spirits. Job pressure is tremendous but a 4 year old dancing around the PD in different color tutus really seemed to put everyone in a good mood

limey 10-27-2011 09:06 AM

Do not apologise for letting off steam/ranting here. If not here, then where can you Sarge? Huh?

Sundae 10-27-2011 11:21 AM

Sarge that's not poor pitiful me stuff at all.
That's dealing with a serious condition and the authorities that should be helping you but aren't.

I'm so glad you have people who love you around.

Big Sarge 11-03-2011 09:08 AM

Home with my oldest girl for awhile. She has missed school 3 days this week. As far as me, I'm taking 9 different meds a day (some multiplr doses). I am feeling a little better, but Dr Palmer noted the weakness on my left side has worsened. Paying out of pocket sucks, but it sure beats waiting for VA openings

monster 11-03-2011 11:41 AM

I think you can claim it on your taxes?

Clodfobble 11-03-2011 02:21 PM

If it's above 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, yes.

BigV 11-03-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 769863)
If it's above 7.5% of your adjusted gross income, yes.

AND you itemize your deductions. That means you can't just take the standard deduction. It means more complicated tax filing, and much more complicated document control.

Clodfobble 11-03-2011 03:02 PM

Yes, the documentation is a nightmare. But it can be worth it.

wolf 11-03-2011 03:03 PM

Sarge, do you have CHAMPUS/Tricare? Are you still able to use that for private hospitals, physicians, and meds, or is that another benefit the military has lost?

Sending hugs and hope to you, buddy.

monster 11-03-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 769868)
AND you itemize your deductions. That means you can't just take the standard deduction. It means more complicated tax filing, and much more complicated document control.

It's not that complex. the road to hell is paved with easy. they make stuff easy because it's in their best interest, not yours.

Big Sarge 11-03-2011 07:44 PM

My Tricare coverage ran out & I am under VA. I always itemize, so I can expect to claim it on taxes

Big Sarge 01-13-2012 11:03 AM

Well yesterday had both an MRI and a CT scan done. The VA puzzles me sometimes with their procedures. Anyway, the neurosurgeon says my adenoma has reduced 4.3mm or it could just be the way the "slice" was filmed. So no surgery right now. I meet with the neurologist on the 24th. Hopefully, I will get some new answers. So far I have the following diagnosis for the same problems:

Doctor 1 - adenoma
Doctor 2 - scar tissue from brain injury
Doctor 3 - Neurosarcoidosis
Doctor 4 - cyst

To save money, I've gone off of the gel & I'm back on shots for testosterone. The increase in propanolol has really helped with my tremors in addition to helping with blood pressure.

Overall good news, but still confusing.......

Sundae 01-13-2012 11:09 AM

Sounds like some good news like you say.
How very frustrating not to have a definite diagnosis.

I worry about you having to balance health and money...
Although it seems to be working.

Big Sarge 01-13-2012 11:38 AM

Money is a lot better since I downsized to the camper. Plus the kids love it. LOL, but they start to missing their cable TV, etc. after a day or so when they visit.

Sundae 01-13-2012 11:41 AM

Of course they do - you miss what you're used to.
But they will have far more valuable memories of their childhood/ teen years with you because of it.

Big Sarge 01-24-2012 07:03 PM

Well another typical VA visit. I saw a non-native speaking UT Resident. He has ordered another MRI and EEG. No diagnosis, no change in meds

SamIam 01-26-2012 09:42 AM

Typical VA. You might as well go to your local herbal healer. At least they would pay attention to what you're telling them and honestly try to come up with a cure - unscientific though it might be. But who ever said the VA based its treatments on medicine or science? :right:

SO wrong for our brave military who gave it their all for their country and the country just flicks them off like lint on a sweater. :mad:

Big Sarge 02-07-2012 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another fun day of testing at the VA. I hope I'll get the results next month.

HungLikeJesus 02-07-2012 08:34 PM

Is that how they re-program you?

Big Sarge 02-07-2012 10:38 PM

I wish they could reprogram me!! LOL. I've seriously considered seeking ECT therapy if the amnesia would last longer. There are so many times I wish I could start with a clean "slate".