The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Getting Old Sucks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33146)

Elspode 11-03-2017 09:36 PM

Getting Old Sucks

I've probably mentioned over the years that I am sort of a walking science experiment...no colon, bypass surgery...not a big deal, cuz it is me.

My wife has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She's been struggling with fibromyalgia for a decade or so already, and probably has some cumulative cognitive/expressive issues related to at least three concussions in her life.

Existence, survival...even the littlest things one used to take for granted...like grocery shopping or walking to the bathroom from the other side of the room...is harder now.

xoxoxoBruce 11-03-2017 10:57 PM

Really? Getting old makes life harder?
Well, I'll be damned. :smack:

Drugs used to be fun, meds are not, even though half promise blurred vision and dizziness. Most say avoid alcohol, some avoid Nitrates, and one even avoid real or artificial sunlight.
Next summer I have to get my battery changed, and I don't have a Tesla.

Undertoad 11-04-2017 07:43 AM

Spode you did say in the other thread that you don't know age... except in this way we all do

I feel the same way; I don't want to act old, except that parts of me have started failing.

Yesterday night a band I love played downtown, and the only reason I didn't go is that it was standing only, and I don't think I can really do that for 3-4 hours. Being the only old person there was not really a factor.

But yeah the hardest part is that people around us have also started failing, and have started dying. That's the part that really sucks, that a lot of our loved ones are starting to feel pain and death.

Griff 11-04-2017 08:22 AM

There doesn't seem to be an easy glide path to the grave. Death I embrace, all the little humiliating cuts between here and there not so much.

sexobon 11-04-2017 10:23 AM

You guys had your chance to avoid all this by joining the military. Die young, go out looking good, that's why men have wars. Of course, if you don't do it right, you eventually end up being around a bunch of old people complaining about their aches and pains anyway. I had a chance to be a dead hero but messed it up. Now I'm paying the price. Not complaining though mind you. :D

Griff 11-04-2017 10:44 AM

Damnit, now you tell me.

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2017 12:23 PM

As if you hadn't tried with that mountain biking. :rolleyes:

lumberjim 11-04-2017 01:39 PM

so fix it!

lumberjim 11-04-2017 02:07 PM

the next video might be more on point

sexobon 11-04-2017 03:09 PM

Oh boy, videos! Just the thing to take old people's minds off their ailments.

Good thinking. ;)

Griff 11-04-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 998156)
As if you hadn't tried with that mountain biking. :rolleyes:

My riding partner and I have informal instructions regarding dnr.

xoxoxoBruce 11-04-2017 11:23 PM

Ha ha ha, good move, Griff. :thumb:

Do I want the to extend my life another 40 or 50 years? Hell no, not in this condition. If they could restore me to when I was 40 or 50, yes go for it.

Gravdigr 11-27-2017 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thinking 'bout Bruce:

Attachment 62469

:crone:

chrisinhouston 12-02-2017 02:27 PM

I never feel any older although when I look in the mirror I notice more grey hair and a few more pounds. But I mainly notice the body takes longer to heal after injuries.

I tripped a few weeks ago and bruised my left knee, the joint was stiff but has been improving. So, Wednesday I decide to get back into my walking workout, about a 4 mile loop from my home mostly on asphalt trails through the forest. The last 1/2 mile my left knee joint starts hurting and by the time I get inside the house I can barely walk. Now I am on crutches and hardly able to put weight on it, I think I really irritated the tissue in and around the joint. Sucks.

Griff 12-02-2017 03:10 PM

Are you sure you didn’t tear something?