The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Built To Spill (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=15174)

piercehawkeye45 08-24-2007 07:45 AM

Built To Spill

This is probably one of my favorite indie bands and it seems to have an older audience so I was wondering if any of you listened to them?

My favorite song "Carry The Zero" (no video, just song):

Griff 08-24-2007 11:52 AM

I know I've heard his voice before but I don't recognize the earlier bands... Nice sound anyway, thanks.

Cicero 08-24-2007 01:51 PM

Aaaah! Aaaah! MY BAND!!!! Piercing- you are now a friend. My husband wrote them on myspace and told them to come play where we were for my wedding present.....they never wrote back. But they did come. Best present ever. Doug said Hi back to me and I clammed up. Couldn't speak.....

It was a very small show at a small venue that time. It was perfect (from now on). I hope you got that.

Thank you for bringing them up. Long overdue. Everyone will probably remember them by the lyrics- singing sores make perfect swords. Maybe not. I don't know.*Popular song at one time.*

piercehawkeye45 08-24-2007 06:57 PM

Haha, that would be really cool to have them play at a wedding. I'm really glad that worked out for you. My friends saw them this summer but I had to come back to Wisconsin for work, disappointing.

My band plays a cover of that song as well and it is probably our favorite to play.

Cicero 08-25-2007 11:01 AM

Now I wouldn't say they came to my wedding....they came to a small club where we lived.....probably because of my husband's request and maybe many others. They were going through there and not stopping anyway....Why not stop and play...right? Of course I did travel all over the state for their shows. But my husband decided that maybe during that tour they could come to us. Awesome.
I'm sure playing at a wedding would come with a very large price tag that I, nor my husband, could afford. They aren't obscure and fanless anymore. They are making a lot more money because of the new record and lable.

lumberjim 08-25-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 378023)
Aaaah! Aaaah! MY BAND!!!! Piercing- you are now a friend.

Isn't it interesting that we reevaluate people when they ratify our own tastes in music?

There are other things like that.....

maybe I won't hijack this thread. I'll go make a new one and link it in a minute.

Cicero 08-27-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 378481)
Isn't it interesting that we reevaluate people when they ratify our own tastes in music?

There are other things like that.....

maybe I won't hijack this thread. I'll go make a new one and link it in a minute.

Someone I know thought Built to Spill was a hippy jam band. I made her go see a show. I still don't like her. She loves the band now- I still can't stand her. She likes a lot of bands I like. But I think she is still an incredibly ridiculous person that follows everything just to be trendy and has no genuine affection for the music she listens to. You are right. I did re-evaluate her based on finding out we liked some of the same music. It's too bad she's still a complete moron without substance. She goes to shows because "everyone" goes to those shows. Makes me more digusted than if we had opposing tastes but she still had genuine interests in her life. That would be alright. Now I just have to think- well at least she contributes enough to buy the cd's. Even if she doesn't get it or have a clue. What is this terrible person doing listening to some of the music I like? I dunno. It can go different ways here I think LJ.

I'm glad you brought that up though. It's become a bit of a paradox.

minnmirman 08-27-2007 08:37 PM

I think built to spill is pretty 'hip' or even (dare i say) 'hot to trot?' To me they sound like they took a pretty hefty inspiration from modest mouse, and I wouldnt hesitate to recommend one to anyone who likes the other.

My favs are strange and The Plan

piercehawkeye45 08-27-2007 08:59 PM

I've heard the Modest Mouse comparison many times before but I don't see it. Was Modest Mouse different before "Good News for People Who Love Bad News" because that is the only album I've listened to from them and I don't think they sound anything alike. Modest Mouse, on Good News, has the poppy sound driven by vocals and the beat while Built to Spill is more guitar driven sound.

minnmirman 08-29-2007 08:51 AM

Yeah Modest Mouse's sound has definitely evolved over time, and no certain album is a good indicator of what they sound like. I like to think of Built to Spill as more like early Modest Mouse, maybe Lonesome Crowded West or The Moon & Antarctica. The similarities I see have a bit to do with the tunes, but maybe more with the vocal style of the singers

Cicero 08-30-2007 02:29 PM

Those are actually my 2 favorite bands (right now and have been for a long time). I don't think they sound alike. I think they are equally great for different reasons. They might be in the same genre but I think that's where the comparison really ends.

Well- I'm too biased here to give a go at comparisons. And I will openly admit it.

Fine: I like a dirty guitar sound backed up with penetrating voices spouting disjuncted classical philosophy and abstractions. And when it all then breaks into an unexpected ethereal interlude....well that just sends me.There I said it. I am easy to please....and if this sounds like any other bands that you know.....tell me.....I will listen.:)

minnmirman 08-31-2007 06:29 PM

How do you feel about Ugly Casanova?

EatitHarvey 09-12-2007 08:59 AM

I absolutely love seeing Built To Spill live. Line up those guitars across the front and wail!

Cicero 09-12-2007 05:01 PM

Yea...I like Ugly Cassanova as well-though short-lived. I really am getting worn out (for the time being only) on all the previous bands mentioned and need a new band.
They don't just fall off or grow on trees...I'm incredibly picky.

xoxoxoBruce 09-13-2007 03:13 PM

Welcome to the Cellar, EatitHarvey. :D