The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Optical illusion - images (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9047)

Sundae 12-05-2011 12:16 PM

I have to admit I saw it immediately.
Not boasting, that's the way it is sometimes.

Although I do have a vague memory of seeing it before, which would have helped enormously.

Gravdigr 12-05-2011 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Accidental optical illusion...
Attachment 35689

Sundae 12-05-2011 05:05 PM

Nope.
This one I don't get at all :)

BigV 12-05-2011 08:56 PM

it doesn't appear to you that the woman's standing on a floating / flying platform with the shadow cruising along underneath? That's what I see.

Sundae 12-06-2011 08:20 AM

It does now!
Cheers :)

infinite monkey 12-06-2011 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

glatt 12-06-2011 01:16 PM

That's an excellent one.

HungLikeJesus 12-08-2011 06:07 PM

Perfectly round?

classicman 12-09-2011 11:54 AM

Explanation from the Doctor ...

Quote:

Perception is not reality - it is perception. Reality remains reality and our perception simply attempts to represent it, but fails to do so accurately. In this case our eyes (ie retina) receive the actual image perfectly. Photoreceptors have overlapping fields of vision and these overlapping fields of raw data (i see light) travel through several levels of "processing" (ie perception). This starts in the ganglia within the retina and continues and is completed in the visual cortex and occipital lobes. For a variety of reasons this processing may actually distort the reality as is seen here. Sometimes it is merely a physiologic limitation, sometimes our brain is attempting to accomplish another goal other than the pure representation of reality and we get the situation we see here. I believe the presence of perfect squares arranged into perfect circles is the problem - our brain "wants" those squares to travel in a linear fashion, but they don't, and it creates a perceptual tension. It would be interesting to see if the phenomenon is eliminated by using small circles rather than squares

Gravdigr 12-09-2011 03:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not so much an optical illusion, but, it makes ya look twice...
Attachment 35800

ZenGum 12-09-2011 07:05 PM

Love the zebra shadows.

Infimonki's picture has an effect on us similar to when a person goes on TV with a shirt with thin contrasting stripes. The cameras are usually good at accurately representing what is in front of them, but certain patterns hit the hardware in just the wrong way and produce strobing effects. Likewise, our usually (moderately) accurate sensors aren't ready to cope with inputs like that.

I suspect the angles of the squares is critical, because they trick the brain into thinking the circle at that point is aligned with the edge of the squares, which makes us project the circle in the wrong direction, causing the circles to look overlapping and entangled.

classicman 12-09-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 779194)

I suspect the angles of the squares is critical, because they trick the brain into thinking the circle at that point is aligned with the edge of the squares, which makes us project the circle in the wrong direction, causing the circles to look overlapping and entangled.

Wow - you said that SO much better than I ... Gonna send that to him.

infinite monkey 12-10-2011 06:29 PM

I think my brain asploded.

I like the zebras too, made it my background.

footfootfoot 12-10-2011 07:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an old one:

footfootfoot 12-10-2011 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hmm