The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Machines (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31838)

Flint 03-15-2019 12:34 PM

I've got a license plate, a registration sticker on the plate, and registration papers in the glove box. The registration is, like, filling out a piece of paper and paying them a small amount of money. They don't even *look* at the car.

About 10, 000 people live in my town.

Gravdigr 03-15-2019 12:40 PM

Cop: Driver's license, proof of insurance, proof of registration, please.

Gravdigr: Here's my driver's license, and proof of insurance. My proof of registration is on my license plate.

Cop: *blink-blink*

Flint 03-15-2019 01:38 PM

Same. I'm like, "Here's my license, insurance... . . . ...what was the other thing ??"

Clodfobble 03-17-2019 12:14 AM

I had no idea different states had so many different ways of doing it. We have one registration sticker on the glass, but they won't mail it to you unless the online database shows that you got an inspection done (and passed) in the last couple of months.

Happy Monkey 03-17-2019 08:51 AM

In DC you pay registration and inspection fees online to get a window sticker that also serves as a pass to ignore any 2 hour parking limits in your neighborhood, and actually go get the inspection whenever it expires.

For hybrids they don't even check emissions, just whether the "check engine" light is on and that the car isn't physically falling apart.

Glinda 03-17-2019 01:11 PM

I live in an odd little section of the county - roughly five square miles - that doesn't have to do emission checks. I have no idea why this particular area is exempt (neither did the lady at the licensing office last time I renewed my tags), but I'm not complaining. Of course, they don't TELL you this when you move here. I only found out after I mentioned to a neighbor that I just did the emissions test on my truck, and she asked, "Why would you do that?" I replied, "Because they sent me a paper that said I had to." She grinned and said, "They lie." :rolleyes:

The pain in the ass is, when emission testing time rolls around every few years, I can't renew online; I have to go in to the licensing office and personally tell them that I live in the exempt area. Why they can't put this info into their software is beyond me.

And what are these window stickers you people speak of? The only thing I get when I renew my licensing is a little sticker that goes on the rear license plate.

xoxoxoBruce 03-17-2019 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It doesn't show in the picture but the emissions sticker and safety inspection sticker both have a very colorful hologram on the face.

Glinda 03-17-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1028474)
It doesn't show in the picture but the emissions sticker and safety inspection sticker both have a very colorful hologram on the face.

Seems needlessly duplicative to me. Why have an emissions sticker at all? If you can't prove you got a clean emissions test, the DMV shouldn't give you new registration tags. Easy peasy.

:confused:

xoxoxoBruce 03-17-2019 11:40 PM

Not all of the state has emissions testing, that's why they were split.
Sometimes the expiration of the two doesn't coincide.
The safety sticker used to expire with the registration but now it's a year from issue.
People were bitching because if they buy a car it has to be inspected right away, but when the plates they transferred from their old car expire in a few months they had to get another full price inspection.
I'm supposed to have a third sticker on the windshield for a vehicle over 6,000 gvwr, but I don't.

xoxoxoBruce 03-19-2019 12:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Tire service truck for mines and oil fields.

Attachment 66782

A lot different from tire service of old.

Attachment 66781
That same location is a Firestone dealer today.

Gravdigr 03-19-2019 10:59 AM

I wonder how many tire changes to pay for the truck...

Diaphone Jim 03-19-2019 11:35 AM

Sort of related to the tire truck above (and the shop below it).

This guy is saying "I don't care, this is the one the book says fits."

http://theoldmotor.com/wp-content/up...e4-760x455.jpg

fargon 03-19-2019 12:56 PM

That is the right tire for that Scraper.

Gravdigr 03-19-2019 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1028598)

Attachment 66784

fargon 03-19-2019 02:23 PM

Might be time to change your Browser.