The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Post your food absolutes here (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29475)

infinite monkey 10-01-2013 07:04 PM

Post your food absolutes here

I just saw a commercial for some sort of breakfast sandwich that had a piece of unrecognizable folded egg substance, it looked like a small yellow blanket, between the questionable bread and what i hoped was some delicious sausage.

Eggs should have their own little venue. they can be the star, or a calming sidedish...but please don't lump them with bread and meats and gravies. a little touch of salt is sufficient.

what combos make no sense to you?

Griff 10-01-2013 07:20 PM

Bell peppers when combined with actual foods are right out.

lumberjim 10-01-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 878021)
Bell peppers when combined with actual foods are right out.

Try them grilled with onions, mushrooms, cheese and chicken. But put the peppers in last... once they go drab, it's over. Bright green.

limegreenc 10-01-2013 09:45 PM

My BIL eats mashed potatoes with Hellman's mayo every day of his life. Honestly it looks like curdled milk. barf

BigV 10-01-2013 10:21 PM

Cilantro and my mouth are two things that should never, ever be in the same place at the same time. Ever.

Blech.

lumberjim 10-01-2013 11:19 PM

Word.

Ruins guacamole. Tastes like metal.

Griff 10-02-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 878030)
Try them grilled with onions, mushrooms, cheese and chicken. But put the peppers in last... once they go drab, it's over. Bright green.

I said right out! I can't taste anything but nasty peppers when they're introduced to food. They ruin sauces and sides alike.

Now cilantro is awesome with anything.

footfootfoot 10-02-2013 06:07 AM

Yes to cilantro
No to Goat cheese

(sorry Griff)

monster 10-02-2013 06:23 AM

cilantro and peppers are both out for me

DanaC 10-02-2013 06:40 AM

I'm not big on peppers.

glatt 10-02-2013 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 878018)
Eggs should have their own little venue. they can be the star, or a calming sidedish...but please don't lump them with bread and meats and gravies. a little touch of salt is sufficient.

what combos make no sense to you?

Eggs are outstanding mixed with other foods. Stirred into a wonton soup, mixed with other stuff into a quiche or casserole. Thrown in a salad.

The only bad egg dish I can think of is in Germany where they have a pizza where they crack a raw egg on top when the pizza is almost done and they put it back in the oven for a minute to just firm up the edges of the egg a little bit.

Attachment 45557

Sundae 10-02-2013 08:12 AM

Bananas
Peanut butter
Fennel/ star anise/ anything licorice or aniseed flavoured really
Celery/ celeriac
Cucumber

I'm not fussy (don't listen to Limey) and will try anything.
But once I don't like a taste it ruins a dish or sandwich for me.
Luckily the swankier the menu, the more likely I am to find said ingredients; their loss.

Although the Chinese are far too fond of nuts (probably a major source of protien during one of their many periods of starvation.)After they wiped out whole bird populations.

Still it means it's the local Harvester for me.
Cheap n cheerful.

limegreenc 10-02-2013 10:30 AM

I'm with u, V on Cilantro. What is the point, other than it sounds exotic.

orthodoc 10-02-2013 11:02 AM

yes to cilantro
yes to aged Manchego (sheep's milk cheese)
no no no no no to okra

Pete Zicato 10-02-2013 11:51 AM

Okra is a weed. It should be plowed under and something useful planted.