The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   We have met the enemy and he is us! Poll (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23766)

SamIam 10-20-2010 01:37 PM

We have met the enemy and he is us! Poll

A while back the Politics forum was so filled with controversy and juvenile (but nasty) name calling that some folks wanted that forum to be removed from the Cellar. Many others simply stopped posting here.

I wonder if some of the enmity here is a reflection of the US political system as a whole - politicians call each other every name in the book, no real dialogue occurs between parties and factions. I am that close to "stopping posting" by refusing to vote in the national elections.

There seem to be a number of threads that pertain to this idea, but I was gone for a while with my computer to the Electronics Recovery Center - an excellent 12-step based outfit for recalcitrant machines.

I digress. My apology if this material has already been covered, but take the poll! I'm curious to see how you all would vote. :)

Oh yeah, you can make more than one choice if you want to confuse the issue even further!

classicman 10-20-2010 02:50 PM

Thanks - I took 2 choices. I probably shouldn't have taken the poll just now because I'm passed pissed off about it. They are all friggin liars, cheats and thieves.
Eff them all - D's R's I's T's WTFE.

Flint 10-20-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 689248)
I am that close to "stopping posting" by refusing to vote in the national elections.

Not voting communicates no message, but voting ONLY THIRD PARTY does.

glatt 10-20-2010 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The best way to send the message is to write in your vote.

SamIam 10-20-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 689261)
Thanks - I took 2 choices. I probably shouldn't have taken the poll just now because I'm passed pissed off about it. They are all friggin liars, cheats and thieves.
Eff them all - D's R's I's T's WTFE.

Yay, Classic! We actually voted for the same thing (OK, I didn't vote for the shiney thing).

Funny that we could come from such different viewpoints to finally find a common point of despair.

Wanna go get lots of guns and explosives and hide off the grid somewhere in the mountains while we plan our attack? :love:

Pssst! Don't worry. I'm just pulling your tail!

fargon 10-20-2010 06:53 PM

I voted for the shiny thing.

HungLikeJesus 10-20-2010 09:34 PM

Sometimes gridlock is the best option.

glatt 10-21-2010 07:15 AM

I was skimming a short article the other day, and it said that this congress has been more productive than any congress in something like 40 years at passing new laws. They have done a tremendous amount.

So the question about "effectiveness" is really phrased wrong. Congress is extremely effective this year. I think the question is whether they can work together in a bipartisan way to pass laws that are good for the country as a whole and not just some special interest.

Shawnee123 10-21-2010 07:22 AM

What he said.

I couldn't pick any of the options. I just think we are getting more and more negative, and more and more worried that someone else will pee in our spot. I hear bitching, but no ideas. I see discontent, but no action. As I said a couple years ago: we ain't gonna make it when it's more important to be right than to do what's good for the country. Too many would rather stand in breadlines saying "I told you so! HA!" than work together for the betterment of all of us. It's politics as usual, sure, but at some point we are supposed to grow out of the sandbox and get down to business. Meh.

Spexxvet 10-21-2010 07:41 AM

Part of the problem is that we tend to vote for our representatives when they do things that are good for us, not best for the entire country. The candidates say "I brought home the bacon". How did they get the bacon? By voting for someone else to get their bacon, which escalates overall spending.

TheMercenary 10-21-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 689371)
I was skimming a short article the other day, and it said that this congress has been more productive than any congress in something like 40 years at passing new laws. They have done a tremendous amount.

So the question about "effectiveness" is really phrased wrong. Congress is extremely effective this year. I think the question is whether they can work together in a bipartisan way to pass laws that are good for the country as a whole and not just some special interest.

Wasteful would be a better description. Big Government is not the answer. Sure they have been productive, productively destructive to our future. The latest scheme is to print more money and have the Federal Reserve feed it to the system to "stimulate" the economy, talk about weakening the dollar. Zimbabwe did the same thing.

Shawnee123 10-21-2010 09:16 AM

I hate that term: Big Government. What does it really mean? Under one party we have less governing entities? HUH? We live in a BIG country, with BIG corporations and BIG amounts of peoples and BIG states and BIG monies...

More rhetoric. As MTP says: working for government small enough to fit inside your bedroom.

When you say BIG GOVERNMENT and TAXES it pisses people off, and they don't even know why. Ragers against the machine but they know nothing about the machine. Sheep.

Meh meh meh. Rinse and repeat.

TheMercenary 10-21-2010 09:20 AM

Big Government means expanding and growing government and reaching past the edicts of their elected office beyond the powers given to them in our Constitution. More people understand it as they discuss it and read about it. I don't like it either, which is why I am against it.

Stormieweather 10-21-2010 10:45 AM

I think most people have short memories when it comes to politics. Everything that is right/wrong TODAY gets blamed on/credited to those in office TODAY.

It's a pretty thankless job to make changes now whose effects will only be felt years down the road.

If only there wasn't so much greed in the world. :yelgreedy

classicman 10-21-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 689371)
I was skimming a short article the other day, and it said that this congress has been more productive than any congress in something like 40 years at passing new laws.
So the question about "effectiveness" is really phrased wrong.

They have passed a large amount of legislation. Agreed. Effective or productive or good? That won't be know for some time.
Quote:

I think the question is whether they can work together in a bipartisan way to pass laws that are good for the country as a whole and not just some special interest.
Thats a whole different can of worms. If the R's gain as many seats as it appears they will, I think that will only embolden them even more.
I'm not seeing that future as bipartisan or productive.