The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   August 29, 2008: Crucifrog (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17982)

ZenGum 08-29-2008 05:45 AM

August 29, 2008: Crucifrog

http://cellar.org/2008/zuerst.jpg

Story from here.

Quote:

An Italian museum has defied Pope Benedict and refused to remove a modern art sculpture portraying a crucified green frog holding a beer mug and an egg that the Vatican had condemned as blasphemous.

The board of the Museion museum in the northern city of Bolzano decided by a majority vote that the frog was a work of art and would stay in place for the remainder of an exhibition.

The wooden sculpture by the late German artist Martin Kippenberger depicts a frog about one metre 30 centimetres high nailed to brown cross and holding a beer mug in one outstretched hand and an egg in another.

SNIP

Museum officials said the artist, who died in 1997, considered it a self-portrait illustrating human angst.
More story at the link if you want.

Sundae 08-29-2008 05:56 AM

Having grown up Catholic myself and having family who still are, I fail to see how this is offensive.

I wish some Christians would stop trying to take ownership of a historical form of capital punishment. If they stop trying to make graven images representative of god then artists would no longer see them as valid images to be used in art.

DanaC 08-29-2008 06:44 AM

Yebbut, we're talkin' about the Vatican. Is there anything that doesn't trigger offence?

HungLikeJesus 08-29-2008 09:18 AM

I've been expecting a letter from them for the last year and a half.

Griff 08-29-2008 09:34 AM

Sorry HLJ, I can't seem to get the first draft through comittee.

dar512 08-29-2008 09:59 AM

The article doesn't say what the beer and egg are supposed to mean (if anything). Something German, maybe?

barefoot serpent 08-29-2008 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 479152)
The article doesn't say what the beer and egg are supposed to mean (if anything). Something German, maybe?

hangover cure... as long as the frog is raw.:headshake

dar512 08-29-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barefoot serpent (Post 479168)
as long as the frog is raw.:headshake

Well it's got that loincloth on, so I guess not. ;)

Sundae 08-29-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 479152)

Beer = yeast = fertility = life (and gets you laid)
Egg = fertility = life (nom nom nom, breakfast in bed)

It all comes down to sex in the end.
The Pope should feel grateful it's not the Crazy Frog with his little frog pecker on display.

WillieO 08-29-2008 10:55 AM

This could be a perfect plot for a new Muppet Movie. Fozie Bear could play John, the beloved. Miss Piggy would be Mary Magdelene of course. Someone call Hollywood!

lookout123 08-29-2008 11:17 AM

I don't care about the blashemy angle here, but i do have a problem with this being considered art. come on, at some point we need to step up and say, "no this stupid half assed attempt at wit is not art, now go get a fucking job and quit applying for grants!"

Juniper 08-29-2008 11:32 AM

SG, I agree with you on one point - Jesus was not the only guy who was crucified, duh. I guess it's all about the *intention* - did he intend to be blasphemous? Was it symbolically referring to Jesus or to some generic other fellow who got nailed up there?

In other words, would it have the same meaning if it was a frog strapped to an electric chair?

My guess is no...so maybe I don't agree with you entirely, I still think it's blasphemous. Still kind of funny though.

Lookout: Agree with you too. It's like something you'd find in a cheesy souvenir shop, with the tourist trap's name screenprinted on the cross.

"I got nailed in...[insert location]" :D

I bet it'd sell!

HungLikeJesus 08-29-2008 11:40 AM

I'm not really sure what blasphemous means, and I'm not about to go looking it up, just in case they're watching me.

barefoot serpent 08-29-2008 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it means you can't crucifry a Hindu frog:3eye:

Griff 08-29-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 479235)
I don't care about the blashemy angle here, but i do have a problem with this being considered art. come on, at some point we need to step up and say, "no this stupid half assed attempt at wit is not art, now go get a fucking job and quit applying for grants!"

ditto

[thread]
I get the idea that the church/state (secular) conflict is getting more intense in Italy. Mix in the cultural clash with Islam and you've got some difficult choices to make and some serious side-swapping going on.[/jack]