The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   The Internet (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   how did you decide on your super-hero.. oops internet name? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6317)

cowhead 07-13-2004 08:58 PM

how did you decide on your super-hero.. oops internet name?

just something I was thinking about today.. (too much time on my hands today :)) ) why people pick what names and to some extent their 'net' personalities..

In my case, cowhead
I live in Kansas
it's the title of one of my favorite songs
I think cows look funny (and they look at you funny)
and those nasty critters from Time Bandits always scared the crap out of me as a kid..

I dunno, just curious

Happy Monkey 07-13-2004 09:15 PM

Freshman year in college, we were discussing the deep philosophical point of the precice amount of fun represented by a barrel of monkeys. I attempted to add to the discussion through illustration, coming up with a character which has become my mascot (see my profile homepage).

elSicomoro 07-13-2004 09:34 PM

The origin of my name is revealed here (our first thread on names; here is the second one).

cowhead 07-13-2004 09:39 PM

oops.. heh sorry to be redundant..I didn't see that thread..

elSicomoro 07-13-2004 09:47 PM

It's all good...it's been quite a while since we've discussed names.

Sun_Sparkz 07-13-2004 10:08 PM

Sun_Sparkz comes from my beliefs, hence my line - aren't we all? We are all just a spark from the sun. (BIG BANG)

also the nick sparkie is kinda cute as well ;)

Beestie 07-13-2004 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun_Sparkz
Sun_Sparkz comes from my beliefs, hence my line - aren't we all? We are all just a spark from the sun. (BIG BANG)

God, I'm such a dork - all this time, I figured you worked with UNIX boxes (one line is called the Sun Spark). :blush:

Mine is a combination of the Beastie Boys and my college affiliation - Georgia Tech (Yellow Jackets - Bees (Clodfobble alert :-)).

Catwoman 07-14-2004 03:39 AM

I'm a woman. I like cats. I feel a strong affiliation towards the superheroine. Also lack of imagination on the day of registering.

Cyber Wolf 07-14-2004 07:48 AM

This name is one of the first online handles I've had. I first used it on a local BBS several years ago. The wolf is my totem and my favorite animal and I've been a technology junkie for most of my life.

glatt 07-14-2004 08:08 AM

"glatt" is german for "smooth," and I am anything but.

Silent 07-14-2004 08:17 AM

The paintball team I'm a member of (since '89) is called Black Company, after the Glenn Cook books. We all took names from the characters that kinda fit our playing style. I got Silent.

Clodfobble 07-14-2004 08:54 AM

Clodfobble McRubius IV was a notorious prank name among my high school friends. We got it printed in yearbooks, theatre programs, registered as a fake candidate for student council--anywhere we could think of. I've always had a fondness for it, it just rolls off the tongue.

BrianR 07-14-2004 09:39 AM

Mine is my name. No imagination anymore in my old age.

I used to use handles, back in my halcyon BBS days, I used Keymaster (Master of Keys, as on keyboards...get it? well, *I* thought it was clever back in 1984) and never found another one, but I did run into an occasional Gatekeeper. I just wanted to be different than all the political figures, superheroes, sci-fi references, comic book characters and D&D references that were so popular in that age. Eventually, I got tired of it and went to my name...love me or hate me, here I am!

Brian

wolf 07-14-2004 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catwoman
I'm a woman. I like cats. I feel a strong affiliation towards the superheroine. Also lack of imagination on the day of registering.

She is a supervillianess.

And yes, watching that cursor blink is quite a thing ... imagine having to watch it blink and decide who/what you were going to announce yourself as when you were calling a dialup board for the first time ... no peeking before registering.

I've been wolf ever since.

Troubleshooter 07-14-2004 11:05 AM

Mine comes from a couple of different places. I've been troubleshooting (problem solving) for a long time now. Computers, electronics, people, etc all fall under the blanket term of troubleshooting. In a pen and paper RPG we play it was also the secret ID that I (we played outselves turned in metahumans) used.

In time it morphed into an overarching concept about how I approach the problems around me.

In latin it's "facilator", a fixer, it's where we came up with the word facilitator.