The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do U Self-Reflect EVER? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24975)

Trilby 04-21-2011 09:06 AM

Do U Self-Reflect EVER?

do you think self-reflection - or meditation - is a good thing or bullocks?

Do you ever question yourself and your reality or are you always *in the know and in the right* ?

Do you take in new information and consider it or reject it out of hand because your life view/philosophy is right and right don't need fixing.

Is your world view the only world view for sane, right thinking, moral individuals?

ZenGum 04-21-2011 09:14 AM

Doesn't the act of considering these questions constitute self-reflection?

BigV 04-21-2011 09:47 AM

(in my opinion) self reflection is a good thing. I know a lot of stuff, and one of the most prominent things I know is how much I don't know. I question myself, my views, my opinions, what I think I know. I incorporate into this reflection what I learn throughout my days, comparing what I hear and read to what I see and have seen. This is a continuous process and sometimes my beliefs are strengthened, sometimes not.

I very rarely reject new information out of hand, though in some cases I can evaluate the new information quickly.

My world view is not only not the only world view for sane, right thinking, moral individuals, my world view *today* is different from the world view of *this* sane, right thinking, moral individual as of yesterday.

Self reflection is more than just a good thing. It is a sign of life. To stop learning, even, no, especially about oneself, is to stop growing. When I stop growing, I will have started dying. And to paraphrase the great Peggy Lee, I'm not ready for that final disappointment.

footfootfoot 04-21-2011 09:56 AM

You left out the vampire option in your poll. Your query is invalid.

Sundae 04-21-2011 12:19 PM

Does self-reflecting connect in any way with self-berating?
If yes, then probably about three times an hour.

Did I say hour?
I meant minute.

That's why I have a cat.
He has a world-weary look that tells me not to sweat the small stuff; I'll never be as good as a cat so why beat myself up about it?
Then we snuggle and it's all okay.

jimhelm 04-21-2011 12:27 PM

I ride in silence in my car some days, just thinkin'

infinite monkey 04-21-2011 01:28 PM

I'm walking the halls and a cow orker says "what's wrong?" Nothing's wrong! I guess my brow is furrowed and I look deep in thought. Well, I am. I have pics of me as a little girl, crease between the eyes, gazing off. Probably reflecting on every little thing I did or said and making sure I did or said it right.

And I had a bit of echolalia as a kid. I remember I would say a sentence, then immediately whisper it to myself to make sure it sounded right.

To paraphrase Spinal Tap: a little TOO much fucking introspection, if you ask me. :lol:

Pico and ME 04-21-2011 01:49 PM

Palilalia, like Brick Heck on The Middle? I never realized that was a real condition until I started seaching for a video of him doing it.

infinite monkey 04-21-2011 01:54 PM

I'd never heard it called that, but yeah. I can't find any video so I don't know if it's the same thing I did or not.

I still do it from time to time (though more measured and conscious) but as a kid it came and went with frequency.

Weird.

Clodfobble 04-21-2011 03:32 PM

My brother and I both did that too. Technically though, echolalia is repeating something you heard someone else say.

infinite monkey 04-21-2011 03:38 PM

Yeah, I learned something new today. I thought echolalia was what I did...but it was palilalia.

I wonder how many kids did that? Just us uber-intelligent ones? ;)

Gravdigr 04-21-2011 04:19 PM

Do U Self-Reflect EVER?

Too much.

Undertoad 04-21-2011 04:20 PM

After being raised an only child without a father, one of my main problems in life is getting out of my own head.

wolf 04-21-2011 05:04 PM

Often, very often.

Even before the current crisis.

I try very hard to do so honestly. It's not worth my time, otherwise.

kerosene 04-21-2011 05:05 PM

I use to do that repeating what I said in a whisper thing, too. So does my son. Now, I don't do that, but I will sit and replay conversations in my head sometimes. I use to do that obsessively.