The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aug 3, 2010: No Yellow for You (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23286)

xoxoxoBruce 08-02-2010 11:05 PM

Aug 3, 2010: No Yellow for You

Since Yellow is a registered trademark of Whiffle Ball Inc., you can't have any.:rolleyes:

http://cellar.org/2010/yellow.jpg

Oh, and you people with yellow cars, houses, and clothes, better call Whiffle to arrange royalty payments.

Razzmatazz13 08-02-2010 11:16 PM

No see, yellow's ok, but YELLOW is strictly forbidden.

SPUCK 08-03-2010 05:23 AM

Another jackass job well done by bureaucrats, like half the patents issued.

Gravdigr 08-03-2010 06:27 AM

Those cab people are in such deep shit.

Adak 08-03-2010 06:49 AM

I can't WAIT until those bureaucrats are running our healthcare in the US! :eek: :eek:

We will witness SO much shit, hitting the fan, the blades will stop! ;)

But at least those fans won't be YELLOW! :p::p:

glatt 08-03-2010 07:18 AM

It only applies to wiffle ball bats (and possibly other crappy plastic sporting equipment in the Whiffle Ball family). For example, I believe Hertz has also trademarked the color yellow for truck rentals.

Pink is a registered trademark for Owens Corning insulation.

Brown is a registered trademark for UPS for delivery services.

You can trademark a color if you have worked hard to make that color recognizable as belonging to your product and nobody elses competing product, and as long as the color contributes nothing to the actual effectiveness of the product. In other words, you can't trademark yellow or orange for a life jacket.

Edit: Amusingly, this thread is making the Whiffle Ball trademark on yellow even stronger by publicizing it.

Spexxvet 08-03-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 674149)
It only applies to wiffle ball bats (and possibly other crappy plastic sporting equipment in the Whiffle Ball family). For example, I believe Hertz has also trademarked the color yellow for truck rentals.

Pink is a registered trademark for Owens Corning insulation.

Brown is a registered trademark for UPS for delivery services.

You can trademark a color if you have worked hard to make that color recognizable as belonging to your product and nobody elses competing product, and as long as the color contributes nothing to the actual effectiveness of the product. In other words, you can't trademark yellow or orange for a life jacket.

Edit: Amusingly, this thread is making the Whiffle Ball trademark on yellow even stronger by publicizing it.

You mean it's not just the big bad gubmint trying to ruin our lives again? Damn!:rolleyes:

ZenGum 08-03-2010 07:58 AM

How quickly certain individuals find a way to blame this on the government. Is it not the doing of the Whiffle corporation? And if the government did make it possible by legislation, was that not because corporation lobbied for this? And if that sell-out is a failure of government, it is a failure so systematic that the fault lies with the citizens who are overseeing that government. And why? Because they were too busy playing with their damn Whiffle balls.

newtimer 08-03-2010 08:21 AM

Forget the color. I'm shocked by the phrase"Made in U.S.A." on a plastic toy. The Chinese have exclusive manufacturing rights to plastic toys.

Griff 08-03-2010 08:30 AM

We could take Glatt's sensible route or blame the Constitution. Article 1 Section 8 Clause 8

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries.

Sheldonrs 08-03-2010 08:37 AM

From now on, I'm pissing magenta!

Spexxvet 08-03-2010 09:05 AM

I've patented magenta. Pay up or piss off. In a different color.

glatt 08-03-2010 09:34 AM

Well, actually patenting is a whole different story. You can only patent a color if it does something. In theory you could possibly patent yellow on a life jacket because it makes you more visible and more likely to be rescued. But patents eventually expire and then other companies can use the idea for free.

Trademarks never expire as long as you are still in business and still using and enforcing your trademark.

Copyrights are supposed to expire, but every time Mickey Mouse is about to go into the public domain, Disney bribes Congress to extend the expiration date of copyrights. So in effect, copyrights never expire either.

Sheldonrs 08-03-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spexxvet (Post 674172)
I've patented magenta. Pay up or piss off. In a different color.

Amber Alert!!!!

Diaphone Jim 08-03-2010 11:18 AM

Whoops!
I'm afraid I owe both Whiffle and UPS a little something this morning.