The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aug 30, 2010: Pizza Oven (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23456)

xoxoxoBruce 08-29-2010 11:20 PM

Aug 30, 2010: Pizza Oven

Not just any pizza oven, the most badass pizza oven on the planet.

http://cellar.org/2010/MarcelloOven.jpg

link

via

Antimatter 08-30-2010 02:27 AM

Quote:

Adam Lindsley of the blog This Is Pizza snapped this shot when he visited Marcello Pizzeria & Ristorante in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Assuming Adam Lindslet visited during opening hours it seems Marcello Pizzeria & Ristorante serves pizza made in an electric oven. Or at least there's no hint of a fire burning in their head-shaped wood-fired oven, nor are there any pizzas in there...

xoxoxoBruce 08-30-2010 03:16 AM

Marcello's
Quote:

An enormous Neapolitan style wood-burning oven in the shape of the sun, the Sun God is the Mediterranean symbol of prosperity, is the showpiece to the entire room. It makes some of the best pizza in the city, churning out heavenly Naples-style thin crust creations available in over 20 varieties. The oven maintains a consistent temperature of 500°, baking the crust to a crisp golden brown that glistens with extra virgin olive oil.
Your right in that the oven isn't working in the picture, but I don't see any reference to alternatives for pizza. They must have other ovens though, for the rest of the menu. Maybe when the oven is working the Sun God is in residence, and doesn't like his picture taken (assuming the Sun God is a his);)

Griff 08-30-2010 05:41 AM

Some dude on Science Friday said you can get the same results at home using the auto-cleaning cycle on your oven and disabling the door lock. He also said he shattered the door window glass and would prefer no one burn their house down using this method. He cooked a pizza in 45 seconds.

Trilby 08-30-2010 06:43 AM

I'm against anthropomorphic pizza ovens.

Sundae 08-30-2010 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 679329)
I'm against anthropomorphic pizza ovens.

I see your point there.
You poke something into someone's mouth with a stick.
Then they sick it up. Then you eat it while it's still hot.

Appetising...

sweetwater 08-30-2010 11:18 AM

I want to see that in RL! But how - indeed, why - would anyone resist giant ruby-red glass irises, or smoky tendrils braiding ceiling-ward from the nostrils?

xoxoxoBruce 08-30-2010 03:21 PM

It's not an angry god.;)

Gravdigr 08-30-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antimatter (Post 679300)
...serves pizza made in an electric oven..

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 679305)
Your right in that the oven isn't working in the picture...

At the lower left corner of the mouth, is that something red-hot, or is that slobber?

xoxoxoBruce 08-30-2010 03:42 PM

Looks like the reflection of the light inside the oven.

spudcon 08-30-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 679427)
At the lower left corner of the mouth, is that something red-hot, or is that slobber?

Pizza oven has mouth herpes.

Slight 08-31-2010 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 679315)
Some dude on Science Friday said you can get the same results at home using the auto-cleaning cycle on your oven and disabling the door lock. He also said he shattered the door window glass and would prefer no one burn their house down using this method. He cooked a pizza in 45 seconds.

"Mr. POTTER: I replicated Jeff Varasano's work and find, in fact, it does make fantastic pizza. I broke my oven door in the process, and I now have, instead of glass, what's called PyroCeram. It's what the military used in the 1950s for missile nose cones. That's now what I've got for my oven door. It's a sheet of the stuff that is temperature-rated to much higher temperatures, but definitely not a thing to try at home."

Why do I really want to try that now? Thanks for the idea Griff :D

Griff 08-31-2010 05:35 AM

I'd say its because you're not supposed to.:) If I had an old stove...