The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No Men?!!!! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20083)

Sheldonrs 04-16-2009 10:25 AM

No Men?!!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...ical-ants.html

Females get along fine without males - in the world of tropical ants
A type of tropical ant has dispensed with males altogether, according to scientists, and only the female of the species exists.

By Alastair Jamieson
Last Updated: 3:04PM BST 16 Apr 2009

The Mycocepurus smithii ant is the first known to be a male-free species
Experts have discovered a South American species that is exclusively female and reproduces asexually by cloning the queen.

Reproduction without sex is fairly common in the ant world, but the Mycocepurus smithii is the first known to be a male-free species. The phenomenon takes the stress out of finding a mate and may help keep the peace in colonies, the scientists believe.

Researchers were first drawn to Mycocepurus smithii by its skill at cultivating various different fungal crops for food but closer inspection raised questions about the ants' sex life.

Six separate tests on the ants failed to uncover any males, researchers led by Anna Himler at the University of Texas at Austin wrote in the British journal Proceedings of the Royal Society.

The findings run counter to scientific theories that say asexuality is an evolutionary disadvantage because it eliminates mutations and generates genetic diversity more slowly than sexual reproduction.

The researchers carried out half a dozen tests, including field surveys of colonies from Panama to Argentina, examining the reproductive system of queen ants, and testing the genes of clones and their mothers.

They also tested whether bacteria could be the cause of the ants' asexuality and whether treating females with antibiotics or changing the fungus they fed on would stimulate the production of males.

One possible advantage of asexual reproduction is that it avoids the need to find a mate and the efforts associated with mating, according to the researchers.

SteveDallas 04-16-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 556843)
One possible advantage of asexual reproduction is that it avoids the need to find a mate and the efforts associated with mating, according to the researchers.

Hard to argue with that one . . ..

Shawnee123 04-16-2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 556843)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 556853)
Hard to argue with that one . . ..

Well yeah, but it sure can't be much fun. I can just imagine their little tiny ant strap-ons.

I'm sorry, did I type that out loud?

sweetwater 04-16-2009 11:55 AM

Some types of whiptail lizards reproduce without males, though I think an occasional dude lizard shows up. There's more info in one of my several books are weird animal facts. Meanwhile, I love that for ants
Quote:

changing the fungus they fed on would stimulate the production of males

Trilby 04-16-2009 12:18 PM

a woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle, right Gloria?

The Teapot 04-17-2009 03:02 AM

To be fair ants have never been big on gender differences. More into the whole one girl, five guys and a army of slaves thing.

Ants are into S&M?...

Trilby 04-17-2009 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Teapot (Post 557150)
Ants are into S&M?...

Spainards and Mexicans?

SteveDallas 04-17-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 556865)
Well yeah, but it sure can't be much fun. I can just imagine their little tiny ant strap-ons.

I'm sorry, did I type that out loud?

That's quite an imagination you have there.

xoxoxoBruce 04-18-2009 05:28 AM

Imagination hell, that's from her diary. :haha:

Shawnee123 04-18-2009 06:20 AM

Actually, it is part of a book I am working on: The Ants Go Munching One By One

toranokaze 04-22-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna (Post 557161)
Spainards and Mexicans?

Who isn't in to that?

spudcon 04-22-2009 08:55 PM

Actually, ants around here keep aphids as cattle, and harvest their honeydew. Aphids reproduce asexually, so maybe it's diet, or they use aphids as role models?

The Teapot 04-23-2009 07:58 AM

Even an ant should feel superior to an Aphid.
They're like miniture sheep, exept the excrement tastes even better.

Shawnee123 04-23-2009 08:15 AM

Yeah, but ant wool is a bitch to remove.

xoxoxoBruce 04-23-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Teapot (Post 559365)
Even an ant should feel superior to an Aphid.
They're like miniture sheep, exept the excrement tastes even better.

I don't think I want to know how you know this. :eyebrow: