The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   jews: are we actually different? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26959)

it 02-28-2012 06:36 PM

jews: are we actually different?

as someone jewish who has broken the big ass cultural taboo of marrying a non-jew, i seem to get into the same argument a lot lately... and it always lead to one question:

are jews, particularly secular jews who have very little but bloodline to define themselves jewish and do not carry much jewish tradition, actually different from any other people?

intuitively it seems to me to be complete bullshit. almost every set of people has come up with stupid excuses to why they are special.

but then i always face arguments that look something like this: "look how much economical power jewish people have being able to gain, look at how many great scientists and philosophers came from us. sure, every people have these, but for such a small population we take a huge percentage. even our comedians tend to be the most successful".

and i have no idea of how to explain this.

in fact for every theory that i heard i came up with a dozen much more rational counter arguments:
  • it's not genetic - all the jewish groups pretty much look like the people from whatever country they came from, we barely constitute a race really... the only reason we stick together is because every century or so people come up with a reason to kill us.
  • sure, a tradition of being religiously literate might have given us an advantage in the past but that advantage would have died off with the arrival of public schools.
  • really t's not tradition at all, because it applies to people of second third or even fourth generation secularism that barely keep in touch with the traditions - personally i know more atheist and agnostic and even buddhist jews then actually religious jews.
  • it's not even the accumilation of wealth - most sucessful jews had to make their wealth on their own or in less then two or three generations, everyone i know of actually, from bill gates to my grandfather. apparently migrating a lot does that to people.
  • and i am certainly not willing to settle for the religious "chosen people" argument... if someone wants to chose me to anything they better send me a fax or an email.

so what the fuck is the statistical curve doing there? and why doesn't the jewish economical mojo apply itself to my bank account?

wolf 02-28-2012 07:26 PM

The diaspora has diluted the business acumen, apparently.

But Jews are different. You have a genetic predisposition to Tay-Sachs disease, and a higher incidence of depression, bipolar disorder, breast cancer, and stand up comedy.

ZenGum 02-28-2012 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course you're different. You're ALL different.

Attachment 37575

But you've got to work it out for yourselves.

footfootfoot 02-28-2012 07:53 PM

You can't win this one.

You're different.

You're all the same.

Either way, it's an attack on Jews.

Clodfobble 02-28-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur
the big ass cultural taboo of marrying a non-jew,

Here is one answer, anyway. Culturally, Jews are isolationist. Sure, you're happy to interact with other cultures, but as the wisdom goes, shiksas are for practice. This is both a cause and an effect of cultural pride, which is evolutionarily a very strong trait. Pride is associated with a strong work ethic, ambition, and self-sufficiency. Cultures that nurture that pride are going to produce a greater share of successful individuals.

it 02-29-2012 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 798355)
Here is one answer, anyway. Culturally, Jews are isolationist. Sure, you're happy to interact with other cultures, but as the wisdom goes, shiksas are for practice.

so are Gypsies, and Indians, and Chinese... there are many cultures that have a taboo against marrying people from other cultures.

if anything jews have more leeway - IMO the entire reason jewdaism is determined by the mother is so that when woman got raped in wars & prosecutions (as was pretty much the status qua throughout history), the resulting children wouldn't be pushed out of the community.

we also have david and solomon as cultural heroes, and they both married a shitload of non-jewish women, including the love story between solomon and queen shva that has become a staple of jewish folklore...

Sundae 02-29-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traceur (Post 798321)
Trac quoting another person, "Look at how many great scientists and philosophers came from us. sure, every people have these, but for such a small population we take a huge percentage. even our comedians tend to be the most successful".

A small island nation called Great Britain also gave the world a heck of a lot.
Doesn't mean we're special.

We are of course. I'm just sayin'.

Undertoad 02-29-2012 02:35 PM

All cultures carry with them the teachings of their ancestry, and this makes some cultures more productive than others.

"Emphasize education"

"Blame yourself, not others, for your success or failure"

"Treasure the children and raise them well"

"The future is not predetermined (by any deity)... you have free will"

Sundae 02-29-2012 02:41 PM

"I've got a flag."

regular.joe 02-29-2012 08:33 PM

I am the descendent of Polish and Russian Jews, only a couple of wich made it out of Europe. Good stock them. They were pretty smart too, some how we became Catholic somewhere along the line. I've never figured that one out. So besides a good nose, and an ok sense of humor I figure I got the best of both worlds.

After we all die will it really matter who was what?

HungLikeJesus 02-29-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regular.joe (Post 798601)
...After we all die will it really matter who was what?

Apparently, yes.

regular.joe 02-29-2012 09:49 PM

Well, yea, there is that. But since I'm not mormon or jewish I'm in the clear.

Sundae 03-01-2012 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regular.joe (Post 798601)
I am the descendent of Polish and Russian Jews, only a couple of wich made it out of Europe. Good stock them. They were pretty smart too, some how we became Catholic somewhere along the line. I've never figured that one out.

Lots of Polish Catholics around here. They probably converted to be less visible given the various pograms they escaped. Dying for your faith is still dying after all.

DanaC 03-01-2012 05:28 AM

I think local parish priests did a lot to support them day to day as well. De facto local social workers amongst poorer and migrant communities.

Happy Monkey 03-05-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regular.joe (Post 798621)
Well, yea, there is that. But since I'm not mormon or jewish I'm in the clear.

You may not be a Mormon yet, but when you die, you're fair game.