The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   June 28, 2007: Trash shadow (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14694)

freshnesschronic 06-30-2007 10:16 AM

Totally not reading the main thread, but I almost can't believe those shadows are generated by inanimate objects like trash and metal circles or whatever.

Cool stuff. But continue on with whatever the mud slinging was here.

Happy Monkey 06-30-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 360154)
. You seem to be morphing the illustrations into some concept you have in your head.

Almost- the diagram created the concept in my head. That's what diagrams are for.
Quote:

I said what he drew won't work, and it won't.
And if you follow blueprints incorrectly, you end up with weird, quarter-cylinder-shaped "doors" you can't walk through.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 360151)
I certainly don't have anything negative to say about the piece in the original post here, I think it's very clever. That the artist actually carried through with the idea, past the conception phase and into the execution (with real, stinky garbage, no less!) is incredible.

Agreed. I did find it off-putting that this discussion with Bruce almost made it seem as if I were putting the original artist down in some way.

Happy Monkey 06-30-2007 05:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quick and dirty demo of the first diagram.

xoxoxoBruce 06-30-2007 10:34 PM

Very nice, except it's not what's shown in the first diagram. Profiles A and B don't intersect.

Happy Monkey 07-01-2007 07:59 AM

Whatever that means. It's exactly what was portrayed by the diagram. If it is not what you thought the diagram meant, you were mistaken. The profiles "intersect" insomuch as any two different 2D projections of a 3D object "intersect".

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2007 12:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
intersect

• verb 1 divide (something) by passing or lying across it. 2 (of lines, roads, etc.) cross or cut each other.

— ORIGIN Latin intersecare ‘cut, intersect’.

Flint 07-01-2007 12:45 PM

I thought you said they don't intersect ???

Happy Monkey 07-01-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 360367)
The profiles "intersect" insomuch as any two different 2D projections of a 3D object "intersect".

I'm not sure what it is you think the word "profile" on the diagram means, but that word seems to be what is preventing you from understanding the diagrams, which is why I tried a few other words.

What I understand it to mean is "the 2D pattern that the object appears as when viewed from the designated angle". As such, any two of them, as long as they aren't colinear, will "intersect", though I'm not sure the word is completely relevant.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2007 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 360400)
I thought you said they don't intersect ???

Yours do, his don't. Yours are impossible, his are possible.

xoxoxoBruce 07-01-2007 02:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 360408)
I'm not sure what it is you think the word "profile" on the diagram means, but that word seems to be what is preventing you from understanding the diagrams, which is why I tried a few other words.

What I understand it to mean is "the 2D pattern that the object appears as when viewed from the designated angle". As such, any two of them, as long as they aren't colinear, will "intersect", though I'm not sure the word is completely relevant.

You've demonstrated your interpretation of what he diagrammed. It would be an interesting World if every craftsman was allowed to interpret the plans.

Happy Monkey 07-01-2007 09:33 PM

My interpretation works, yours apparently doesn't.

If you look at blueprints, you don't interpret the

http://www.ehouseplans.com/blueprint...ueprint-12.gif

as a quarter-cylinder.

Ah, well. We seem to be repeating ourselves.

Flint 07-02-2007 09:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

skysidhe 07-02-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 360043)
I'd say this is definitely a case of someone suffering for their art!

I don't have any pics; but as soon as I get a chance (whenever I go to my friend's house next) I will take some from the normal standing-next-to-the-wall-looking-at-a-painting range, and then from the distance-that-the-image-starts-to-make-sense range.

So, I sketched up some diagrams...
..the first two involving casting shadows on 2-D and then 3-D surfaces, while the 3-D surfaces retain their information...
..the third involving projected, visible light images, reproduced on 3-D surfaces, so that different images become visible depending on the angle:

*thinks to self*

oh..my...f'king gawd,,,give me a break

way to dissect childs play

....it's shadow play Flint! http://www.w1k.com/entries/9500/9904_w.jpg

ok don't get mad. I am not attacking you...just saying.

Flint 07-02-2007 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 360408)
I'm not sure what it is you think the word "profile" on the diagram means...

Maybe this will help? From dictionary.com:

Quote:

pro•file
4. an outline of an object, as a molding,
formed on a vertical plane passed through the object at right angles to one of its principal horizontal dimensions.
5. a drawing or the like representing this.
10. The look, configuration, or lines of something: cars with a modern profile.
13.Theater. a flat stage property or scenic piece cut from a firm, thin material, as of beaverboard or plywood, and having an irregular edge resembling the silhouette of a natural object.
16. to draw a profile of.

pro•file
1. a. A side view of an object or structure, especially of the human head.
b. A representation of an object or structure seen from the side.
2. An outline of an object.

1656, "a drawing of the outline of anything," from It. profilo "a drawing in outline," from profilare "to draw in outline," from pro- "forth" + filare "draw out, spin," from L.L. filare "to spin, draw out a line," from filum "thread."

2. an outline of something (especially a human face as seen from one side)

the view of a face, head etc from the side; a side view

pro•file
1. A side view of an object or a structure, especially of the human head.

In other words, exactly what my diagram illustrated.

The "vertical plane" that a profile is formed on can intersect with a "vertical plane" upon which a different profile is formed. If these profiles are made to represent two different objects, then, from the viewer's persepctive, the first object casts the shadow of the second, different, object.

xoxoxoBruce 07-02-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 360491)
My interpretation works, yours apparently doesn't.

If you look at blueprints, you don't interpret the

http://www.ehouseplans.com/blueprint...ueprint-12.gif

as a quarter-cylinder.

Ah, well. We seem to be repeating ourselves.

Your doorway is a standard symbol and universally understood. Obviously we'll never agree on this. I believe the divergent point was, "insert sculpture here".