The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   So how was YOUR week? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28906)

elSicomoro 04-18-2013 10:06 PM

So how was YOUR week?

From Gawker:

Quote:

Joe Berti ran the Boston Marathon on Monday to support a charity that helps children who have rare or undiagnosed disorders. He crossed the finish line around 30 seconds before the first of the two bombs exploded, and his wife, who was taking pictures of him finishing, was hit by shrapnel (she was unhurt).

On Tuesday, they went back home to Austin to be with their two young daughters. On Wednesday, Joe went back to work and as he was heading home, saw black smoke billowing from the fertilizer plant. Then it exploded.
Clearly Joe Berti is wanted down here on Earth for a bit longer...

ZenGum 04-19-2013 01:22 AM

He probably just walks away without looking back, now.

And he has cool sunglasses.

Lamplighter 04-19-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Clearly Joe Berti is wanted down here on Earth for a bit longer...
Or not.

Just tell him, Thanks, but you'll take the next cab.

xoxoxoBruce 04-19-2013 07:23 AM

That type of bomb sends out shrapnel at 15,000 ft/sec, for 12 to 15 blocks, unless it hits something first. Walking away with your back to it, all cool and shit, is not a smart move.

Clodfobble 04-19-2013 07:26 AM

Just imagine if Joe Berti were Middle Eastern, the dude would be in for all sorts of questioning right about now...

infinite monkey 04-19-2013 07:27 AM

You bring up a good point. I wonder what the protocol is if you hear an explosion. I mean, it would all be happening so fast and it's not like you could get away.

I guess duck and cover, as fast as you can?

Gravdigr 04-19-2013 11:29 AM

You run on top of their heads is what ya do.

Gravdigr 04-19-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 861516)
I wonder what the protocol is if you hear an explosion.

Quote:

Explosion: Protocol: 1. Shit. 2. Run. 3. If you cannot wait to shit before running, running at full speed, while shitting, is entirely acceptable.
Excerpted from 'The Shit/Run Protocol Playbook' Chapter 5, Subsection 4.1, Paragraph 3.

Revised Kingsbury Edition.

ZenGum 04-19-2013 07:18 PM

Heck, we call that "Afterburner rocket booster" here. ;)

Duck and cover? Well, it's probably best to try it, but if there is shrapnel doing 15,000 feet per second, by the time you've heard the boom and started to react, the shrapnel has already done it's damage.

Try it, though, because the blast might be a lot slower, there might be bigger projectiles on (longer) high parabolic trajectories, there could be ricochets, and there might be a slower moving blast/fireball. So I suppose duck and cover is a good thing to do.

However, I have no intention of living my cozy civilian life with a paramilitary state of mind. I refuse to walk around with a constant duck-and-cover reflex in my mind. If I hear a BANG I'll probably jump three feet, then look around to see what it was, and (I hope) go towards it to see if I can help anyone.

regular.joe 04-19-2013 07:25 PM

We have guys like that in the Army, sometimes I ride in the same vehicle as they do. Just to show my support. :)

ZenGum 04-19-2013 09:05 PM

Well, in the army, BOOOOM is often followed by pow! pow! pow! so ducking at BOOOM is probably a good idea.