The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   November 23, 2011 Turkey Farm (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=26366)

CaliforniaMama 11-23-2011 09:06 AM

November 23, 2011 Turkey Farm

(Apologies to peoples of the world - here is yet another American holiday.)

http://cellar.org/2011/turkey farm 25.jpg

Before I was born, my aunt (my mother's oldest sister) and uncle owned a turkey farm. During the holidays, customers (pictured above) would come and pick out their turkey. My aunt, uncle, mom and other relatives would "dress" (pluck the feathers and all that) the turkeys and prepare them for the customers.

This photo was taken by the local newspaper photographer for a newspaper feature on the turkey farm. This was probably the mid 1950's.

My uncle immigrated from the Azores as a teenager. He had only a few dollars in his pocket. He obtained some kind of menial job. He saved what he could and used the money to buy a few turkey chicks. He raised the turkeys and sold them. He used the profit to buy twice as many chicks the next year, and so on, until he had a full-fledged farm.

When he felt he was making enough money, he went looking for a wife. People in the community told him about my grandmother, a young widow. He went calling. (Imagine having a man knock on your door to see if you would marry him when you'd never even met him before!)

She turned him down. She wasn't interested in marrying again. However, my aunt saw a good prospect and spoke up saying that she was available and interested. And so began a love story.

My uncle went looking for a widow with children and ended up with a much younger, beautiful, virgin bride. They lived happily together for more than 25 years.

He was my favorite uncle and my Godfather. I have his old-fashioned, hand-painted-on-curved-glass portrait hanging near my bed.

infinite monkey 11-23-2011 09:10 AM

:applause:

That is wonderful, CaliMama. What a neat piece of personal history. Thank you for sharing that!

glatt 11-23-2011 09:10 AM

Excellent IotD!

Spexxvet 11-23-2011 10:05 AM

Personal IOTDs are the best IOTDs. Thanks.

Nirvana 11-23-2011 10:10 AM

fabulous!

Griff 11-23-2011 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Harriet Jones PM the unflappable survivor.

classicman 11-23-2011 11:13 AM

Thats a great story and a wonderful piece of history. Thanks for sharing Calimama.

Clodfobble 11-23-2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliMama
When he felt he was making enough money, he went looking for a wife. People in the community told him about my grandmother, a young widow. He went calling. (Imagine having a man knock on your door to see if you would marry him when you'd never even met him before!)

She turned him down. She wasn't interested in marrying again. However, my aunt saw a good prospect and spoke up saying that she was available and interested.

Sometimes I think things would be better if it still worked this way. There's something to be said for viewing a marriage as an agreement for mutual benefit instead of expecting it to be an overwhelming rush of love every single moment for the next 60 years. Had a friend in high school whose very traditional Indian family had selected her future husband for her, but she hadn't been allowed to meet him yet. We had a lot of conversations about it, and she always said she was in favor of her culture's way of doing things. Never got to find out how the marriage is going now, though.

dmg1969 11-23-2011 11:20 AM

Very cool, CaliforniaMama! And love the pic.

glatt 11-23-2011 11:45 AM

When our firstborn was in daycare, she had an Indian lady taking care of her in her own home. We met the entire family, and they were very nice. Their marriage was an arranged one, and they genuinely loved each other. You could see it in the way they talked to one another and talked about themselves. They showed us their wedding pictures and talked about their arranged marriage about 15 years earlier. They said that they learned to love each other after being matched up by their parents. It was pretty neat.

infinite monkey 11-23-2011 11:46 AM

Griff, is that your turkey? It's really cool looking!

Ya know, I miss the Muscovy Duck that used to hang around the river. In fact, I miss all the white ducks too. I don't know where they all went, but one by one they disappeared. :(

Griff 11-23-2011 01:29 PM

Yeah, she's a Royal Palm. Nice bird.

BigV 11-23-2011 01:55 PM

Seems like it would be pretty easy to catch an unflappable bird. Drumsticks, baby!

hipshot 11-23-2011 09:10 PM

What a nice Thanksgiving tale (except for the turkeys...) Thanks for sharing.

Was the turkey farm in the Central Valley? I am in San Joaquin County, and we have quite a few turkey farms in the area.

aero geek 11-23-2011 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaMama (Post 775086)
My uncle went looking for a widow with children and ended up with a much younger, beautiful, virgin bride.

Am I the only one that finds that statement a bit creepy?