The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   April 13, 2010: Hiding Faces (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=22499)

xoxoxoBruce 04-13-2010 12:01 AM

April 13, 2010: Hiding Faces

Big Brother is everywhere. :unsure:
With modern technology, he can have machines watch you with the unblinking eye, 24/7.
But unlike humans, the machine has to identify where your face is, in order to compare it to data base.

Adam Harvey's Blog shows this test of the machine's ability to find faces that are painted.

http://cellar.org/2010/testPatterns.jpg

Quote:

Images with a red square tested positive, a face was found
Images without a red square tested negative, no face was found
Images under the section “TEST PATTERNS” are made according to results of the Haar deconstruction
Images under “RANDOM PATTERNS” are random doodles made without the anti-face detection patterns in mind
Images underneath the “NO PATTERNS” heading are left untouched to show that the face detection works well on simple line drawings
So maybe KISS was just paranoid.;)

lumberjim 04-13-2010 12:09 AM

If I was going to get a tattoo, I think it would be a facial tattoo.

.....which is to say, I won't be getting a tattoo.

Sheldonrs 04-13-2010 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 648181)
If I was going to get a tattoo, I think it would be a facial tattoo.

.....which is to say, I won't be getting a tattoo.

How about a facial that's not permanent? ;)

glatt 04-13-2010 08:44 AM

If you smear some grease paint on your face, cops are going deem you suspicious, and ask to see identification.

Also this is a technology race and would only work for a little while. If it catches on and becomes a problem, then big brother will just use laser scanning or radar or sonar or something like that to take a picture of the shape of your head.

squirell nutkin 04-13-2010 09:06 AM

Not if there's a big festival/party going on or you are wearing a football jersey and have something like #2 on.

newtimer 04-13-2010 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 648228)
If you smear some grease paint on your face, cops are going deem you suspicious, and ask to see identification.

Digital cameras can 'see' infrared light but the Gestapo agents do not. (If you look at your TV's remote controller through your camcorder, you'll see the infrared LED light up each time you push a button.)
Solution: smear random patterns on your face with an infrared paint. The recognition software won't be able to lock on to you and the cops will only see some vaseline-like smudges if they get close.
Problem: Who sells infrared paint?

glatt 04-13-2010 09:39 AM

Excellent point.

Nirvana 04-13-2010 10:23 AM

Why are "we' hiding from cops? :eyebrow:

Coign 04-13-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 648242)
Why are "we' hiding from cops? :eyebrow:

Why aren't we?

It is my own damn business if I would like to walk down a street in front of a bank without having Big Brother watching my every move.

I don't want, need, or should have a babysitter looking over my shoulder every time I want to leave the house.

Diaphone Jim 04-13-2010 02:30 PM

OK, some help here. The article glibly tosses out "the Haar deconstruction."
Google turns up 178,000 hits plain and 150 or so in quotations.
All of the latter seem to refer to, guess what? This study on faces. What seems to be lacking is any discussion about WTF is "Haar deconstruction."
Anybody have a clue?

Shawnee123 04-13-2010 02:32 PM

Haardy-haar.

glatt 04-13-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 648290)
OK, some help here. The article glibly tosses out "the Haar deconstruction."
Google turns up 178,000 hits plain and 150 or so in quotations.
All of the latter seem to refer to, guess what? This study on faces. What seems to be lacking is any discussion about WTF is "Haar deconstruction."
Anybody have a clue?

try a Google search for "Haar face recognition" without quotes. You should have some more luck there.

xoxoxoBruce 04-14-2010 12:08 AM

If you go to the link ,and click on the Adam Harvey (AH) symbol in the upper right, it will take you to his home page. Scroll down for posts on Haar.

ZenGum 04-14-2010 06:10 AM

So, Goth chicks will be invisible to big brother?

xoxoxoBruce 04-14-2010 06:14 AM

Only if they're asymmetrical, it appears.