The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

Happy Monkey 05-18-2014 04:05 PM

I learned how many Energizer batteries the Energizer Bunny took to run.

Guess. (highlight below)

[44]

BigV 05-19-2014 08:27 AM

Today I learned more about the audience of Make magazine.

glatt 05-19-2014 08:33 AM

and...?

BigV 05-19-2014 11:41 AM

I believe HM is a reader.

Happy Monkey 05-19-2014 11:46 AM

Indeed.

Grant Imahara, of Mythbusters fame, had an article about various robots he designed. The Energizer Bunny was one, and for PR and truth in advertising purposes it had to actually run on consumer-grade batteries, which aren't ideal for the power needs of robots.

Gravdigr 06-04-2014 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Today I learned of grid waves.

I saw this pic over at BendBox with the filename 'grid waves off French coast'. Actually this pic shows what Wikipedia calls a cross swell, or Cross Sea, at Ile De Re.

It's weird, whatever it is:

Attachment 47937

Gravdigr 06-06-2014 08:23 AM

Today I learned that Denzel Washington has a movie coming out in September...'The Equalizer'. Remember the tv show from the eighties, starring Edward Woodward? This is a remake of that. I loved the tv show. I really like Denzel Washington.

The trailer looks good. It looks real good.

Sorry for the Russian movie review girl at the end, it's the best version of the trailer I could find.

BigV 06-06-2014 09:02 AM

mmmmmmYeah... that does look good. "...I'll make an exception." Yikes.

Denzel Washington is a very, very talented, handsome actor. I really enjoy his films.

Gravdigr 06-06-2014 10:13 AM

Yeah, I likes me some Denzel.

xoxoxoBruce 06-06-2014 12:52 PM

His cousin Ukee does the CBS news here in Philly.

footfootfoot 06-23-2014 11:01 AM

Today I learned that the good old wooden baseball bat has become irrationally expensive. Apparently, cheap wooden bats cost about $80 a pop. Inexplicably, (not really) people are choosing Maple over Ash (previously common) or Hickory (what the Babe used) because you get a bit more oomph for your swing with maple and that's what Barry Bonds used.

Maple tends to fail abruptly and violently, where Ash tends to flake and get shitty. Hickory is just heavy, but is still the best material for overall performance duralbility (in my opinion as a wood worker) After all, that's what the Babe used and look how long it took to break his record, He had to hit uphill, in the snow, in the dark, and there were wolves!

So there is a dude not far from me who makes bats and sells them for $150 a pop and up.

Not a bad way to earn some $. On further research, it turns out he makes them in his parent's basement. I'm guessing he may still live at home, that goes a long way to cutting your overhead down.

glatt 06-23-2014 11:31 AM

hmm

*eyes lathe sitting in the corner*

lumberjim 06-23-2014 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 899250)
I learned how many Energizer batteries the Energizer Bunny took to run.

Guess. (highlight below)

[44]

should have been 42

Happy Monkey 06-23-2014 02:08 PM

Yeah, Grant really dropped the ball on that one. Two extra batteries couldn't have affected runtime THAT much.

Gravdigr 06-23-2014 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 902697)
Today I learned that the good old wooden baseball bat has become irrationally expensive. Apparently, cheap wooden bats cost about $80 a pop. Inexplicably, (not really) people are choosing Maple over Ash (previously common) or Hickory (what the Babe used) because you get a bit more oomph for your swing with maple and that's what Barry Bonds used.

Maple tends to fail abruptly and violently, where Ash tends to flake and get shitty. Hickory is just heavy, but is still the best material for overall performance duralbility (in my opinion as a wood worker) After all, that's what the Babe used and look how long it took to break his record, He had to hit uphill, in the snow, in the dark, and there were wolves!

So there is a dude not far from me who makes bats and sells them for $150 a pop and up.

Not a bad way to earn some $. On further research, it turns out he makes them in his parent's basement. I'm guessing he may still live at home, that goes a long way to cutting your overhead down.

Bat snob.

From WallyWorld:

Attachment 48244

Just sayin'.