The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   scam ... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30203)

wolf 06-18-2014 11:02 AM

scam ...

Evil Indian hackers ... got a call today from one.

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-s...-and-trash-pc/

DanaC 06-18-2014 11:04 AM

They call me most weeks at the moment :p

BigV 06-18-2014 11:15 AM

very interesting, thanks for posting this wolf. I like how the person who answered the call gave them all the rope they needed to hang themselves, and then suffered no damage himself. "The old fire-up-the-virtual-machine-during-the-phone-call trick" gets 'em every time.

DanaC 06-18-2014 11:18 AM

if you ask them lots of questions then tell them how the scam works they start swearing at you and threatening to 'send some men round'.

Undertoad 06-18-2014 11:27 AM

If you get a mobile call from a number you don't recognize, and it only rings once, don't call it back. Scammers.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2014 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 902051)
if you ask them lots of questions then tell them how the scam works they start swearing at you and threatening to 'send some men round'.

Tell them, 'Oh goody, I could use a couple, hope they're handsome'. ;)

DanaC 06-18-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 902061)
Tell them, 'Oh goody, I could use a couple, hope they're handsome'. ;)

The last time that happened Carrot was doing his terribly fierce guard dog bark, so I just said I'd let them play with the dog.

xoxoxoBruce 06-18-2014 12:41 PM

Touche. :thumb2:

Clodfobble 06-18-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC

This particular scam seems to be full of very angry men. The first time I got one of these calls a few years ago, he politely told me that there was a problem with my PC, and when I replied, "No, there's not," more in confusion than anything else, he suddenly screamed, "YES THERE FUCKING IS!"

Gravdigr 06-18-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 902051)

Send as many as you like, you'll find their bodies by the backdoor, stacked like cordwood.

Yeah, that might be a bit extreme, but, I get angry when I'm getting scammed. They've called here I don't know how many times. If it's the Indian folks (several have been perfectly Merkin-sounding folk), I get a little racist on they asses. As soon as I recognize what the call is, I interrupt with "Tenk yoo, come again.", and hang up. I really hope it upsets them enough that it ruins their entire day.

wolf 06-18-2014 03:25 PM

Okay, so if I'm sending viruses everywhere, what is my ip address?

Nope. You're wrong. And that's a bullshit license number you just rattled off ...

*click*

Big Sarge 06-18-2014 06:51 PM

do they send hobos to your house?

tw 06-18-2014 08:54 PM

Got the same call. Except the girl immediately handed me off to a "Microsoft Supervisor" after I told her I am viewing event viewer. Then gave the guy some bogus information from event viewer that both intrigued and bothered him. So he immediately wanted me to load TeamViewer. I did not without an internet connection. Then played with him for a while even intentionally reading back wrong letters. Eventually stated we are on a special secure network he cannot access. Then invented so fictional high tech jargon to further define this secret network function. He asked who I worked for. I told him I cannot say and he need not know. Then that this network has not tracked him. Then asked him to wait a second while we can recover his home address.

Then told him we are the people he works for. That he did not do his job properly. And this I was required to give him his only warning. I told him this group also has a staff in India. And that because he was doing his job so badly, management will dispatch the appropriate people. He should watch his back. Since part of our game only exonerates those who use sufficient caution. Click.

They never called back.

Hopefully I wasted enough time just having him reread each letter again and again. T as in Tangle. E as in Echo. A as Sun. Constantly followed by "Oh you meant A ... This line is not that clear." Actually encouraging him to feel I could not understand his accent - to keep him even more confused.

mbpark 06-21-2014 05:08 AM

Warnings

I have had to issue advisories at work due to one of these calls going to a department.

Between the "Microsoft" calls, the toner scammers, telecom scams, phishing, spear phishing, payroll scams, the phone calls from the Caribbean, and Heartbleed, I have significantly improved my communication skills over the past year.

tw 06-22-2014 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbpark (Post 902444)
I have significantly improved my communication skills over the past year.

You mean you stopped using profanity because it does not help?