The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   PMS - the ultimate relationship killer? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10941)

cableguy 06-09-2006 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Ok, I took the statement differently.
We are fortunate to have excellent communication.
If she takes it wrong and "starts" I just leave, lock myself in the study until she has had some time to think about it. It usually takes about five min. Then we both apologize for "being short", unless it was just one of us, and move on.

When I'm at work, she call me on the cell. If we're talking and tempers flare, I recognize that she needs to cool off and tell her a have to go (I'm usually driving). Did this over the last few days, and didn't call her back. The last time, SHE called back about an hour later and appologized for snapping at me. That felt really good. :blush:

Ibby 06-09-2006 12:23 PM

wow, an 11truple post...

Iggy 06-09-2006 03:30 PM

11 posts is a lot of posts in one go.... that could have been condenced... no?

MaggieL 06-09-2006 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibram
wow, an 11truple post...

He wasn't kidding about bipolar....that's the manic phase.

BigV 06-09-2006 07:11 PM

Give him a break, this is new turf outside of What are we listening to, y'know?

BigV 06-09-2006 07:42 PM

But as to the topic of the thread, this news item captured my attention recently.

Continuous Contraception.

The voice in the article said something interesting, that the number of periods women have "these days" is far greater than what our ancestors (well the women) had. Today's number is approximately 420 (no connection AFAIK). The reason it used to be less is that a young woman would become pregnant upon reaching sexual maturity (menarche) and then spend much more time either pregnant or lactating, both of which inhibit the cycle.

They further said that the current contraceptive hormonal dosing schedule is an entirely artificial and arbitrary decision made in the days before instant pregnancy checks. One reason was so that a woman might know she was not pregnant by the monthly bleeding. One point I didn't get very clearly was that the current situation, of a woman on oral contraceptives, is that she's not expelling an egg, she's only bleeding. I'll have to check up on that.

The point about continuous contraception was to have a regular dose of estrogen and progestron (?? from memory, sorry) over the whole thirty days, instead of the earlier schedule of 21 on and 7 off. This regulates the levels and guess what else is thereby regulated? PMS. It sounds good to me.

cableguy 06-09-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iggy
11 posts is a lot of posts in one go.... that could have been condenced... no?

Yeah, I could have, but I like to address each point on it's own, and I think I'm becoming a post whore ;)

zippyt 06-09-2006 11:29 PM

Dude its REAL simple , chicks are Verry CRASY for about a week out of a month , us Dudes are just slightly Weird Most of the time , it is a hormonal thing .
And befor you ask ,NO I have NOT read ANY of this thread .

Iggy 06-10-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
But as to the topic of the thread, this news item captured my attention recently.

Continuous Contraception.

The voice in the article said something interesting, that the number of periods women have "these days" is far greater than what our ancestors (well the women) had. Today's number is approximately 420 (no connection AFAIK). The reason it used to be less is that a young woman would become pregnant upon reaching sexual maturity (menarche) and then spend much more time either pregnant or lactating, both of which inhibit the cycle.

They further said that the current contraceptive hormonal dosing schedule is an entirely artificial and arbitrary decision made in the days before instant pregnancy checks. One reason was so that a woman might know she was not pregnant by the monthly bleeding. One point I didn't get very clearly was that the current situation, of a woman on oral contraceptives, is that she's not expelling an egg, she's only bleeding. I'll have to check up on that.

The point about continuous contraception was to have a regular dose of estrogen and progestron (?? from memory, sorry) over the whole thirty days, instead of the earlier schedule of 21 on and 7 off. This regulates the levels and guess what else is thereby regulated? PMS. It sounds good to me.

That is kind of what I was getting at when I said women should try birth control. A lack of PMS sounds magnificent to me. :D One of the things I don't think a lot of people consider is women usually hate PMS just as much as men. No one wants to feel crabby and whatnot.

xoxoxoBruce 06-11-2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cableguy
Yeah, I could have, but I like to address each point on it's own, and I think I'm becoming a post whore ;)

Sometimes it's easier to respond to each person individually, especially if they are making different points. Then if people want to respond to you they don't have to separate out that point. It's all good.:thumb:

cableguy 06-11-2006 11:51 AM

;)

MaggieL 06-11-2006 12:09 PM

If you think cycling estrogen is hard on relationships, try constant testosterone. That's why there's the saying that PMS is a few days when women act like guys do all the time. :-)

And I know both sides of *that* coin. ;-)

Zippy calls it only "slightly wierd" because he doesn't know any better.

Literally.

rkzenrage 06-12-2006 01:22 AM

I'm getting a LOCK for my T-SHIRTS!!!!

What is WITH you chicks?! Get your own clothes.

Ok, PMS sucks.

You know... it would not be so bad if, every time you had your period, you came to me twice a day and asked "were you planning on wearing this, this week", or, "do you mind if I wear this"? But, noooooo.... you just show-up in a favorite shirt and when I say something about it I get pouted at, no matter how many times I ask you to let me know first.
Hell, at least it's not when I was dating and they just stole them!
It makes no damn sense, you have five times as many clothes as we do and they cost five times as much... if you like wearing ours so much, just buy em'!

Ibby 06-12-2006 04:58 AM

Psh, my girlfriend stole both my favorite jacket and my favorite sweatshirt.

The jacket was my dad's jacket when he was in the Army, in Germany, in Winter. Warmest damn thing I've ever worn. Oh well, it's hers now - I finally stopped wondering if i'd get it back and just gave it to her for christmas.

The sweatshirt was an awesome DSOTM sweatshirt. She doesn't even like Pink Floyd.

jaguar 06-12-2006 09:13 AM

My gf steals my tshirts & stole my army jacket so I stole her fisherman pants. touché. My jacket re-appeared. Fire with fire boys, fire with fire.