The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

Undertoad 05-01-2014 10:22 PM

Every time you take a leak? That's overkill!

SteveDallas 05-05-2014 04:31 PM

I can't be too safe.

glatt 05-08-2014 10:06 AM

Oxytocin. Holy shit. Do we even have any control over what we do?

Saw this MIT student video on FB this morning.

This hormone controls so much of our behavior. It has a lot of female physical stuff it does around childbirth, but the interesting thing is the emotional trust, bonding, and generosity it causes in both men and women. And the hormone is produced when we witness others bonding or we are among friends or are physically touched. It totally manipulates our behavior, for example, it's probably responsible for us being monogamous. It increases our generosity and ability to interact with others. It even aids in wound healing by reducing inflammation. So having someone emotionally supporting you as you heal really does make a difference.

It's even a dessert topping and a floor polish.

How have I never heard of this hormone before?

xoxoxoBruce 05-08-2014 11:23 AM

Oxycontin is the antidote. ;)

Clodfobble 05-08-2014 01:26 PM

Minifobette took prescription oxytocin for about three years. Made a massive difference for her in both sociability and speech.

Griff 05-08-2014 06:21 PM

Today I learned that if you go to a pretty involved kid's CPSE meeting clean-shaven and prepared, people around the table will start asking you to apply for positions that are not posted yet so they can staff the room the kid needs...

Clodfobble 05-08-2014 07:21 PM

Nice! (Assuming you want one of these positions?)

Griff 05-09-2014 05:28 AM

I'm not sure. I really like what I'm doing now and my current administrator is very hands-off. A district job is mo money and they do have kids that need my skill set but I'd be jumping into a bit of an unknown administratively and it is a troubled district so who knows what kinds of shake-ups are coming... so bottom line, I don't know. I need to find out what the retirement implications would be as well.

xoxoxoBruce 05-09-2014 06:08 AM

Heads, you're part of an earnest attempt at improving the district system.
Tails, you're the sacrificial lamb to protect cronies when the shit hits the fan.

It sounded before like you don't have much job security where you are now.
Mo money is nice.
Will the district let you wear a cape? :cool:

Gravdigr 05-12-2014 05:06 PM

And after that, I saw this next one in the 'Related Videos':

Griff 05-12-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 898763)
Heads, you're part of an earnest attempt at improving the district system. Could be. They have a long way to go against the tide. It looks like the top down Common Core approach stands in opposition to the education of children, especially urban kids who start out behind.
Tails, you're the sacrificial lamb to protect cronies when the shit hits the fan. Last hired first fired.

It sounded before like you don't have much job security where you are now. I smell a strike in the district's future as well. Right now, I'm part of the only highly functional classroom team in the department, so I have more security than most. Our "business model is sketchy though.
Mo money is nice. Not being bothered by administrators is nice as well. Right now I have that but it could change.
Will the district let you wear a cape? You're thinking of the English Department.:cool:

fargon 05-14-2014 08:53 PM

Today I learned that beavers teeth are strengthened with iron, and I wondered how. So Keryx found this: http://learnsomethingneweachday.word...ted-with-iron/

DanaC 05-15-2014 02:39 AM

Oxytocin is fascinating.

Gravdigr 05-15-2014 12:17 PM

Today I learned that the jackalope is not a mythical creature.

from Wired:

Fantastically Wrong: The Disturbing Reality That Spawned the Mythical Jackalope

I know!:eek:

glatt 05-15-2014 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That picture of the bunny infected with the shopes papilloma virus reminds me of the guy in India with the weird growth on his hands.

Attachment 47679

And then reading through that thread of the guy with the hands, I see Kitsune made the same connection.

Both are caused by a papilloma virus. One is shopes papilloma and the other is human papilloma. And there's a vaccine for the human kind.