The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Today I Learned (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29898)

Gravdigr 02-19-2014 06:16 PM

Today I learned about tiny Palmerston Island in the Pacific.

I would almost leave America to visit. If it wasn't for the flying. And the nine days in a boat from Tahiti. And the lack of damn near everything I enjoy. By that, I mean weed.

BigV 02-20-2014 10:01 AM

That was delightful, thanks grav.

glatt 02-20-2014 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Bob is the mayor of Palmerston and lives at one end of the main street. It is a strip of sand no more than 100 meters long and is home to just half a dozen buildings. “This is the main road, no bus stops here, no buses to wait for in Palmerston,” says Bob with a hearty chuckle
Good thing they have tires.
Attachment 46849

slang 02-20-2014 11:36 AM

Wonder if they leave the door locked on that hut over night. Those tires in the background look interesting.

glatt 02-20-2014 12:16 PM

I pulled it up in Google Earth and the farthest you could drive on the island without doubling back on yourself is about half a mile. It looks like it's all sand, and forested, so an ATV would be the best vehicle if you are unable to walk half a mile. I see no reason for those tires. Sometimes old tires are used as bumpers on a boat to keep them rubbing against a pier or dock, but it looks like they have no pier or dock, and those tires look new. It's just a little interesting seeing them stacked up there.

Spexxvet 02-21-2014 08:21 AM

When tires fall off the ship and wash up on your beach, you can't just throw them back. You have to stack them real nice - they may come in handy some day ... and ... well ... they were FREE!

orthodoc 02-21-2014 09:39 AM

According to the CDC, tomorrow (Feb. 22, 2014) is World Encephalitis Day.

Now you have a reason to get out of bed on Saturday morning.

sexobon 02-21-2014 10:21 AM

:yesnod:

xoxoxoBruce 02-26-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 892939)
That scientists are trying to actually quantify this stuff, which is good, since the lawyers and politicians come next, and you want them setting policy based on actual data and not folklore.

35ish years ago U of Michigan did a study showing that commuters drove better after 1 drink, than stone sober. That makes sense in that they chilled out a little. Of course from drinks two on, things went to hell in a hurry.

But anyway, this report was quickly forgotten in the made rush to lower the legal BAC to a ridiculous level because a couple of people can't handle any alcohol. The politicians cave to the million busybody howling, facts be damned. If the stats were reported honestly they would most likely find those people can't even drive sober. But we all have to put up with rules for the lowest denominator, certainly not the common one.

Gravdigr 02-26-2014 02:16 PM

Word.

LabRat 02-27-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 892939)
That scientists are trying to actually quantify this stuff...

One way is through driving simulation.

I have been a study subject there in the past. Currently they are recruiting for people to "drive" under the influence of THC, Adderall, or Xanex. For that one, you have to be a previous marijuana user to fill the THC slots. Here is a 2013 brochure that describes some of the medically related research they have been doing recently. Has some nice pics too.

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2014 07:20 AM

But when it gets to the legislature...

Back, back I say!
You are scientists, you have no power here.
Now be gone, you're in the way of the lobbyists.

BigV 02-27-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 893445)
But when it gets to the legislature...

Back, back I say!
You are scientists, you have no power here.
Now be gone, you're in the way of the lobbyists.

Way to harsh my mellow, man. :(

xoxoxoBruce 02-27-2014 07:45 AM

But am I wrong? I don't think so.

Sundae 02-27-2014 09:45 AM

Over here there is a zero alcohol/ driving lobby, but the general reason given is that too many people don't understand how much is too much. Tell people they can't drink AT ALL and and it's all much simpler. You drink, you drive, you've chosen to break the law.

I doubt it will get anywhere in this country though. We don't have a religious Right or a moral majority. Many many people drink and the Government earns £££s from it, thank you very much.

PS hello very quietly Labs.