The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Different Versions of the Same Song (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5268)

richlevy 03-07-2004 09:15 PM

Different Versions of the Same Song

A few weeks ago I picked up a used copy of 'Songs in the Key of X', an X-Files tribute album. On it was "Red Right Hand" by NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS.

Last week I picked up a used copy of the Scream II soundtrack. It had the same song by the same group.

Listening to them, I was struck by how different the two versions were. It almost appeared as if they were done by two different groups.

Usually, when the same artist has two significantly different versions its because -

1) S/He purposely creates an unplugged version to concentrate on melody and lyrics.

2) The concert version cannot duplicate the effects of the studio version.

3) Years later the artist reinvents the song to reflect a new vision.

None of these cases appear to be true. My guess is that the movie required the song to be toned down for use in the soundtrack. The X-Files version is more dramatic.

Of course the only way to see which is closer to the original would be to listen to the original version.

BTYW, I recommend the X-Files album for anyone who likes odd music. One track titled "Star Me Kitten" which is actually F**K Me Kitten, is a poem about Marlene Dietrich by William S. Burroughs with music by R.E.M. It's the most unusual thing I've heard in a while.

wolf 03-07-2004 09:26 PM

I think I have that album ... and I like that Red Right Hand song a lot.

In a way, this discussion links to yours in more ways than one, because of the William S. Burroughs Connection.

One of my favorite version variations is "Excellent Birds/This is the Picture"

I first heard it on Laurie Anderson's album, "Mr. Heartbreak". She sings it along with Peter Gabriel.

It also appears on his album "So". Different version. She sings it along with him.

There is a yet again different version in Laurie's Concert film "Home of the Brave."

I saw Peter Gabriel perform it live on his So tour, both the inbound and outbound legs.

And I saw Laurie's live version on her Strange Angels tour.

Each version was unique, some subtlely, some strikingly.

elSicomoro 03-07-2004 09:46 PM

One song comes to mind that falls into the same vein as the Nick Cave song Rich mentioned.

In the spring of '94, the soundtrack to "The Crow" featured a new Helmet song, "Milktoast." It was standard Helmet fare, though it featured a bunch of electronic effects and a white noise-like ending.

When Helmet's CD Betty was released later that spring, the name of the song became "Milquetoast," it was devoid of the electronic effects and had a fade ending.

Both versions of the song kick all kinds of ass.

kerosene 03-07-2004 09:50 PM

Radiohead's Pablo Honey album had 2 versions of "Creep." One that used the phrase "So very special" (like on the radio) and another that used "so fucking special." I always thought it was funny that they made a whole different version of the song just for the word "fuck."

elSicomoro 03-07-2004 09:55 PM

Shit...completely forgot...

There are 2 versions of Soundgarden's "Fell on Black Days": The album version and the video version (that also got radio airplay)...the only real difference between the two are the vocal effects on the album version.

elSicomoro 03-07-2004 10:00 PM

Damnit...now I remember more:

--Poe, "Hello" (single version has more guitars in it than the album version)
--Alanis Morissette, "You Oughta Know" (the bass is more prominent in the single version...which is also a hidden track at the end of the CD Jagged Little Pill)

kerosene 03-07-2004 10:13 PM

Didn't Sublime have 2 versions of "What I got" on their album?

elSicomoro 03-07-2004 10:34 PM

Yep...one was a bit more dancehall than the other.

JeepNGeorge 03-07-2004 10:42 PM

BTYW, I recommend the X-Files album for anyone who likes odd music. One track titled "Star Me Kitten" which is actually F**K Me Kitten, is a poem about Marlene Dietrich by William S. Burroughs with music by R.E.M. It's the most unusual thing I've heard in a while.

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but have you ever heard Burroughs CD 'Spare-Ass Annie & Other Tales'? I am a big fan of his written word, but hearing his texts read with some 'blinging beats' is quite odd. I think the Disposable Heroes Of Hiphoprisy did the beats. To hear somebody that sounds like the typical grandfather telling storys about a junky looking for a score on christmas is quite different.

elSicomoro 03-07-2004 10:49 PM

He was also featured in the video and remix of Ministry's "Just One Fix."

Elspode 03-07-2004 11:21 PM

Something that has become popular these days is for box sets and other re-releases of older material to have remixes using newer and better technology.

I've been hearing a version of The Who's "I Can See for Miles" that I am virtually certain must have been remixed after their last greatest hits release. It has a strikingly louder, boomier bass part than I remember, and I've heard this song *a lot* since I was a kid.

I'm betting you can find a lot of similar situations with other groups.