The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Andrew Wakefield found to have faked research on vaccines/autism. Murder? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19564)

TGRR 02-17-2009 08:30 PM

Andrew Wakefield found to have faked research on vaccines/autism. Murder?

You know those annoying crazes and hysterias populations go through? Like the measles vaccination/autism scare? Well, it turns out that the World's Biggest Scumbag, Andrew Wakefield, has basically brought measles back from the realm of depression-baby scare stories, single-handedly, for a little personal fame.

Quote:

THE doctor who sparked the scare over the safety of the MMR vaccine for children changed and misreported results in his research, creating the appearance of a possible link with autism, a Sunday Times investigation has found.

Confidential medical documents and interviews with witnesses have established that Andrew Wakefield manipulated patients’ data, which triggered fears that the MMR triple vaccine to protect against measles, mumps and rubella was linked to the condition.

The research was published in February 1998 in an article in The Lancet medical journal. It claimed that the families of eight out of 12 children attending a routine clinic at the hospital had blamed MMR for their autism, and said that problems came on within days of the jab. The team also claimed to have discovered a new inflammatory bowel disease underlying the children’s conditions.

The results of "Doctor" Wakefield's precious little shennanigans?

Quote:

Despite involving just a dozen children, the 1998 paper’s impact was extraordinary. After its publication, rates of inoculation fell from 92% to below 80%. Populations acquire “herd immunity” from measles when more than 95% of people have been vaccinated.

Last week official figures showed that 1,348 confirmed cases of measles in England and Wales were reported last year, compared with 56 in 1998. Two children have died of the disease.
Hahaha stupid fucking humans.

So, anyway, I'd like to suggest that the British government haul Wakefield up on two counts of murder, 1290 cases of attempted murder, and one case of being a gigantic douchebag.

Am I out of line, here? I mean, his malicious acts led to two deaths and 1290 additional life-threatening situations, right? And this wasn't a MISTAKE in research, it was outright fraud.

EDIT: Forgot to add the link:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5683671.ece

xoxoxoBruce 02-17-2009 08:36 PM

Doesn't sound like he had any good intentions.:(

TheMercenary 02-17-2009 08:37 PM

Definate douchebag.

TGRR 02-17-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 535756)
Definate douchebag.

Murderer?

classicman 02-17-2009 08:59 PM

Inject him with the measles.

TGRR 02-17-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 535762)
Inject him with the measles.

Oh, something tells me HE'S had the vaccination. You know, before his horrific "discoveries".

footfootfoot 02-17-2009 10:02 PM

I'll take "Kick him in the cunt" for $500.

smoothmoniker 02-17-2009 10:48 PM

I have friends who have bought into this wholesale.

Sundae 02-18-2009 03:15 AM

There are people on this board who are anti-immunisation, MMR scare or not.

And I have heard many, many mothers on TV, in radio interviews and in person who swear blind that their children changed completely, the day after receiving the injection. And who claim that the Government pushing the GPs to use MMR as opposed to separate injections was along the lines of the Nazis experimenting with concentration camp prisoners.

He didn't really need to push people very hard.

Pie 02-18-2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGRR (Post 535760)
Murderer?

Yep.

tw 02-18-2009 05:09 PM

Saddam has WMDs. Nothing has changed. One can think logical or one can entertain emotions. Childhood leukemia created by electric wires? Same people easily deceived by Rush Limbaugh also believed that leukemia myth. It’s not hard to think logically. And yet so many so hate their computer as to plug it into a surge protector. So many automatically believe myths rather than first asking 'why'.

Pico and ME 02-18-2009 08:04 PM

Quote:

And yet so many so :question:hate:question: their computer as to plug it into a surge protector.
:unsure:

lumberjim 02-18-2009 08:27 PM

2 deaths from measels?

how many less from SIDS?

Beestie 02-18-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 536015)
Saddam has WMDs.

I'm going to start calling you "the six degrees of WMDs."

No subject - no, make that no subject is more than six degrees from WMDs.

Not saying you are wrong, mind you, just saying.

classicman 02-18-2009 09:15 PM

Why? do I keep reading them.