The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Dog lovers may not want to click here (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13082)

footfootfoot 01-14-2007 08:21 PM

Dog lovers may not want to click here

I was searching for hot dog making info and came across this flickr set. I'm just gonna leave it at that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/sets/1652923/

Beestie 01-14-2007 08:25 PM

He not kidding, folks.

DucksNuts 01-14-2007 08:31 PM

I'm scared to click, but I HAVE too now

Griff 01-14-2007 08:41 PM

If you are um... funny about butchering pets leave this one alone.

DucksNuts 01-14-2007 08:43 PM

Hmmm, ok, that didnt disturb me as much as I thought it would, but it was mainly his wording I guess.

Tis no worse than the others as mentioned, of course I think its awful, but why is it any different to cows etc?

Some of his other work is great tho :)

Hoof Hearted 01-14-2007 08:48 PM

On one of the horse discussion BBs I belong to, the subject of Horse Slaughter comes up regularly. IMO, I feel that horse slaughter is a necessary evil of the horse industry. We do not have a way to dispose of the unwanted horses (old, injured, lamed, maimed, de-saned, abused/starved, dangerous and can't-care-for-Dobbin-anymore). In many areas of the country, owners cannot bury their animal. Rendering plants are not always nearby. Landfills won't take such a large animal, cremation is extremely costly and sometimes, owners cannot afford veterinarian, euthanasia and disposal costs...so the sale barn and the killer buyer is a way out.
I am aware of our great cat/dog overpopulation, and I do my part to help change that by fostering and spaying/neutering our pets in addition to trap/spay-neuter/release for feral colonies I come in contact with at our property. ...most of the ferals are friendly now, and three are housecats with us...
I will admit that while I do view horses as livestock, and know that it happens...I would do my darndest to prevent one of MY horses from that end, though I would have no problem donating my horse's flesh to a zoo or animal rescue foundation to feed their dogs or large cats...I would hate to see our cat/dog overpopulation changed into a money venture by selling their flesh to foreign countries as food.
hh

rkzenrage 01-14-2007 09:35 PM

Got no problem with those who eat dog, meat is meat is meat.
I have pet dogs, but they are no better, smarter, more loving than pigs and I eat pork. To differentiate would be hypocritical, illogical and stupid.

Sundae 01-15-2007 05:53 AM

Interesting photos.

I'm a meat eater who would be vegetarian if I had to kill and prepare my own meat. Not because I would be incapable of killing an animal (I have always known where my meat comes from and try my hardest to buy humanely raised meat) but because I am so damn lazy. If I had to grind my own flour I'd probably give that up too....

If I was hungry enough I would eat anything - even my own cats. I'm talking national-disaster-it's-them-or-me situation though.

The fact that under normal circumstances I wouldn't feel comfortable eating cat or dog is cultural and I don't think there is anything hypocritical about that.

fargon 01-15-2007 06:25 AM

Kung Pao Puppy, Yummy :yum: :yum:

Wendalz 01-18-2007 05:36 AM

:eek:!!!
Hokay, I didn't expect that. But yes.
Jeez, I really gotta get my curiosity in line!:worried:
Even though I have witnessed a chicken and fish being prepared right from the moment that its spirit left its body. That wasn't as bad as seeing that!
But I can handle that we all gotta eat and we gotta make do with what we got. I guess if I had to eat dog/cat/horse/rabbit on a regular basis I would rather become a vegie.

xoxoxoBruce 01-18-2007 07:58 AM

There's also a link to some great Burning Man pictures at the bottom of that page. ;)

Trilby 01-18-2007 12:51 PM

I am NOT going to look. I have given up eating pork because of that Iotd we had a while back--the one where the piggies are diving into a barrel of water for the sheer fun of it and they looked so happy...

Phil 01-18-2007 02:03 PM

the thing that would bother me is how they were killed : humanely or inhumanely.

DucksNuts 01-18-2007 08:07 PM

It states - humanely :eyebrow:

Phil 01-19-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DucksNuts (Post 308561)
It states - humanely :eyebrow:

:D i'm usually stoned when i'm on the internet. :D