The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How The Other [STRIKE] Half [/STRIKE] People Live (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30738)

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2015 08:31 PM

How The Other [STRIKE] Half [/STRIKE] People Live

1 Attachment(s)
After Lauren Bacall died the people who couldn't see assets going unused stripped everything from her three bedroom apartment at the Dakota (which you've surely heard of) and put it on the real estate market for $26 million. Her personal effects (the apartment's contents) are headed for a Bonham's auction.

I imagine the first thing they did was photograph the hell out of the place to prevent stuff from disappearing in the process, or assigning damage to anyone clumsy. They've included some of the Photos in the auction catalog so for the first time the public can see how it looked when she was living there.

Clodfobble 03-12-2015 10:49 PM

Who puts furniture in a doorway? Bitch was crazy.

Lamplighter 03-12-2015 10:49 PM

I'm intrigued by the number of female nudes ... and no whistles.

xoxoxoBruce 03-12-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 923445)
Who puts furniture in a doorway? Bitch was crazy.

Called "kiddie traps". Ladies are not pinballs, they walk a straight line, and need only hip sway width. :haha:

glatt 03-13-2015 10:19 AM

As you go through life, you accumulate a lot of clutter. She had good furniture for holding all that clutter. I need some of that furniture. It's amazing all the crap that accumulates in life.

Gravdigr 03-13-2015 02:06 PM

That apartment is a little on the "busy" side, for me. The first bedroom pic wasn't bad, but, those yellow walls would have to go.

xoxoxoBruce 03-13-2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 923482)
As you go through life, you accumulate a lot of clutter. She had good furniture for holding all that clutter. I need some of that furniture. It's amazing all the crap that accumulates in life.

I was having this discussion last weekend with a friend with two homes, one with 4 garages the other with two plus a carport. He also rents storage space but most... half... some of that is for business.

Ten years ago much of the stuff we had accumulated we gave to friends who needed it. Nothing real valuable, things like glass blocks to fill in a cellar window, or materials for doing projects. But would have stripped to the waist and knife fought anyone trying to take it. Now we're both trying to find homes for the stuff. He's gone so far as to forbid his family, friends and employees from giving him gifts, birthday, Christmas or otherwise. :lol2:

lawchong 03-13-2015 09:13 PM

Quote:

That apartment is a little on the "busy" side, for me. The first bedroom pic wasn't bad, but, those yellow walls would have to go
Speaking of yellow walls... anyone ever read that short story? (here)

Gravdigr 03-14-2015 06:01 PM

No, but, I probably will, now that I know it exists.

:D

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawchong (Post 923546)
Speaking of yellow walls... anyone ever read that short story? (here)

Jesus H Christ! :eek3:

Gravdigr 03-15-2015 12:12 PM

Damn. I read a couple of pages, and said "Meh, maybe later."

Now I'm rethinking.

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2015 01:15 PM

It's bizarre. Then reading how the author came to write it is even more chilling.

BigV 03-16-2015 12:41 PM

What a horrible great find, lawchong.

::shivers::