The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Orlando (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32031)

Griff 06-12-2016 11:47 AM

Orlando

Fuck.

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2016 11:50 AM

This will put the haters in a tizzy. It was a Raghead... but they were fags... but it was a Raghead... but they were fags... Hopefully their heads will explode. :(

Undertoad 06-12-2016 12:31 PM

The haters are thinking the non-haters are in a tizzy! I read this on a comments section:

"They love LGBTs and Islam, this truly a PC dilemma"

Griff 06-12-2016 01:13 PM

Seems like hate will win the day either way. Hate the gun, hate the gunman, hate the religion, hate the West, hate the East, hate the desert, hate all religion, hate the humans.

Gravdigr 06-12-2016 01:28 PM

The solution is simple, Griff.

Don't let hate rule the day. You only hear bad news. And there's more than bad news out there. There's tons of good news. But good news doesn't sell papers or airtime.

We shouldn't let the bastards wear us down.

Griff 06-12-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 962195)

Don't let hate rule the day.

amen

sexobon 06-12-2016 02:15 PM

Now Orlando will have to pass a city ordinance requiring bouncers to have counterterrorist training.

Dr. Zaius 06-12-2016 04:41 PM

This had nothing to do with religion,” the gunman’s father said. However, he also claimed his son got very angry when he saw two men kissing in downtown Miami recently.

Act of terror and a hate crime rolled into one. Not that there is much difference to the victims.

The real frustration in these horrible events is that you know there's virtually zero you can do about it after the fact, and probably precious little you could have done before it. The shooter is dead. The people he committed this atrocity in the name of are amorphous, international, and to the extent you can identify them, distant and fungible. Kill one ISIS social media recruiter and two more mindless zealots take his place.

sexobon 06-12-2016 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius (Post 962205)
... The real frustration in these horrible events is that you know there's virtually zero you can do about it after the fact, and probably precious little you could have done before it. ...

That's why the time for people to do something about it is as it's happening; but, the indications are that all they would do was run.

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2016 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Zaius (Post 962205)
Act of terror and a hate crime rolled into one. Not that there is much difference to the victims.

I don't want to get into semantics, but
isn't terrorism a hate crime, hate motivated?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 962206)
That's why the time for people to do something about it is as it's happening; but, the indications are that all they would do was run.

Unarmed, untrained, unprepared, best to GTFO.

sexobon 06-12-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 962209)
... Unarmed, untrained, unprepared, best to GTFO.

If you're not already concealed; or, behind cover when the shit goes down, it's best to close and destroy. If you have no route of egress, it's best to attack before discovered. You can't outrun the bullets. Just because you're shot doesn't mean you're going to die. Just because you're going to die doesn't mean you can't take the attacker out with you and save others. Where there's no such mindset, casualties are maximized. When that happens I feel it's a shame; but, I don't dwell on it.

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2016 06:54 PM

"... take the attacker out with you..." I don't think a stern look, with crossed arms and a tapping toe would be an effective deterrent. There's a difference between making a sacrifice and being a damn fool. There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier. YMMV. :o

sexobon 06-12-2016 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 962215)
... There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier. YMMV.

You bet your bippy it does. That's because I hang out with people of another mindset, people who can act in consonance.

Gravdigr 06-12-2016 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 962215)
There's no way I can stop this guy, so making a banzai charge just makes his job easier.

But, if all of you, or ten of you, or even five of you charge him yelling "Banzai!!!".......

xoxoxoBruce 06-12-2016 09:14 PM

Exactly, you're trained, you hang with trained people. When you look at a problem, you have a completely different set of tools in your bag you can use for a solution. Most people don't have those tools so they have a shorter list of reasonable options. I know my limitations, and they're not mental, they're physical.