The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   HappyMonkey/HMD WOODSHOP (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4993)

Happy Monkey 05-25-2004 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are all of the parts, relocated to my bedroom.

Happy Monkey 05-25-2004 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here, at long last, is the
completed bookcase!

Happy Monkey 05-25-2004 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And, finally, here are the proud woodworkers.

lumberjim 05-25-2004 08:48 PM

oh, man. and you already started your teddy bear collection. You've been around bruce too long, it would seem.

[big round of applause]

excellent! it looks just like the computer generated image you posted. I am seriously impressed. how cool to see it go from start to finish. thank you very much, Hmonkey.

Happy Monkey 05-25-2004 09:07 PM

Thanks. That teddy's been around for quite a while, though. I expect he lost hope for a collection long ago.

zippyt 05-25-2004 09:41 PM

Well done DUDE !!!!!!!!!

wolf 05-25-2004 11:12 PM

That is a most wonderful achievement. It is a beautiful piece of furniture! I wish I could do stuff like that. I can barely assemble Ikea furniture.

Clodfobble 05-25-2004 11:29 PM

Man that thing's gorgeous. I'm such a sucker for shimmery wood grain. You've definitely earned the right to be extremely proud of yourselves.

xoxoxoBruce 05-26-2004 05:47 AM

Wow, you think it's bad to lose an Ikea piece in a divorce. What do you do when the judge gives her that.:mad:
Kudo's to you and your Dad!!

BrianR 05-26-2004 08:19 AM

Excellent work! I'm jealous. But then again, I use power tools mostly... I do not have the tools OR the skill to do it the old-fashioned way like you do!

Salud! :beer:

Griff 05-26-2004 08:56 AM

Awesome HM!

Happy Monkey 05-26-2004 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BrianR
I do not have the tools OR the skill to do it the old-fashioned way like you do!
Heh. We don't have the space for all the power tools we'd like, or we'd have more. But there is satisfaction from doing it the old fashioned way.

It is sometimes funny watching "The New Yankee Workshop". If someone played a drinking game where you chug a bottle every time Norm uses a hand tool, that someone would never get drunk.

On the other hand, I think I need more power tools than they use in "The Woodwright's Shop".

glatt 05-26-2004 12:02 PM

The Woodwright's shop is awesome. That guy kick's Norm's ass.

What I would really like to see is a show where the woodworkers from Colonial Williamsburg make stuff with hand tools. Fine quality projects made the old fashioned way.

The Woodwright's Shop was a little too rustic (sloppy) for my tastes, but I liked the idea of doing things with hand tools.

One of the things I like most about hand tools is that they are quiet and dust free. You don't need the earplugs, fogged up goggles, and dust mask. You just pick up the tool and work.

Happy Monkey 05-26-2004 12:20 PM

I wouldn't skip the earplugs when using a mallet and chisel, but otherwise I agree.

On the other hand, power tools have a satisfaction of their own. :D

xoxoxoBruce 05-27-2004 08:45 PM

One of my ex-girlfriends does color matching and finishing for a shop that makes 18th century style furniture to order. This is the breakfront she's starting now.;)