The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sayings from the Old Country (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=25343)

monster 06-09-2011 09:49 PM

Sayings from the Old Country

These are some of the manners epithets I heard time and time again as a child in England. I seriously suspect they did not travel well:

Want will be your master -when a kids says "I want...."

She's the cat's mother (rude to refer to a female person as "she", should use her name, but "he" is ok)

feel free to add peculiar sayings you learned in your childhood that really don't work/make sense in your current life.....

footfootfoot 06-09-2011 10:01 PM

My dad would say, "Who's she, the cat's mother?"

My buddy says, "How does it feel to want?"

monster 06-09-2011 10:03 PM

so some of the old country made it across the Atlantic! That's comforting. They look at me like I just birthed a three-headed communist when these slip out here....

casimendocina 06-10-2011 06:50 AM

The cat's mother one is used commonly in Oz too.

Sibling used to hold his cutlery standing on its end so that the sharp bits pointed at the ceiling. My folks used to tell him that there was a little man in the roof that would fall and impale himself.

footfootfoot 06-10-2011 09:42 AM

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Comparisons are odious.

Jesus, Mary, and Joseph...

Nirvana 06-10-2011 09:53 AM

Never heard of the "cat's mother" funny

You don't know shit from shinola!

infinite monkey 06-10-2011 09:53 AM

finer than frog hair

monster 06-10-2011 09:56 AM

Went for a Burton.

(fell/tumbled)

Pico and ME 06-10-2011 10:06 AM

"Where there muck, there's brass." is what Mom would say to any of us kids who complained about doing a shitty job (like cleaning out the cat box). Sort of along the same lines as when my husbands grandfather would say "Smells like money" whenever they would drive past a pig farm.

footfootfoot 06-10-2011 10:53 AM

My mom's mum (from Rearsby, Leicestershire if that is, in fact, a real place) used to write in her diary "Fell off my bike" as a euphemism for getting drunk.

HungLikeJesus 06-10-2011 11:33 AM

Did she at least wear a helmet?

SamIam 06-10-2011 03:57 PM

"A kiss without a mustache is like a soup without salt" - what my Mom said to me when she met one of my boyfriends who had a mustache.

DanaC 06-10-2011 04:13 PM

'Where there's muck there's brass' is probably one of the most famously quintessential Yorkshire phrases. There was a brilliant tv programme years ago called 'Brass', centred on a wealthy Yorkshire family.

'Shaping wooden' is one I have inherited from Ma. If you're faffing about being ineffective: "Come on, you're shapin wooden lass."

Another is: 'stand locking up'. As in "If I don't sort out that bill before it goes red, I stand lockin' up" or, "If I don't get an early night tonight, I stand lockin' up."

I think my favourite though, was the phrase that both mum and dad used to signal bedtime: Come on then, they'd say, 'up tha dances'. For years my infant brain heard that as 'up the dances' and thought that somehow 'the dances' meant the stairs to bed.

limey 06-10-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamIam (Post 739509)
"A kiss without a mustache is like a soup without salt" - what my Mom said to me when she met one of my boyfriends who had a mustache.

Or "beef" (no jokes here, please) "without mustard", as my mum said.

footfootfoot 06-10-2011 08:30 PM

"You can give her the bullets, if you can give her the gun."