The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Win 8 first impression (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27637)

Undertoad 07-06-2012 08:11 PM

Win 8 first impression

Well I'm running the Win8 preview on an old lappytop here and let me just say...

fucking thing sucks

That is my first impression. Of course things could change.

Flint 07-06-2012 11:36 PM

A good friend of mine--I've known him for 20 years and trust his judgment more than almost anyone I can think of--this guy is currently a developer for Windows phone apps (I know...). Well anyway he went to a conference in Florida and apparently 'drank the Windows 8 kool-aid'

He is goddang obsessed with it and oh goodness gracious it is / will be the greatest thing that ever happened.

Undertoad 07-07-2012 12:25 AM

Of course. Win8 is Microsoft hoping that their concept of how tablets and phones should operate succeeds, and so they are now demanding that you use it with a mouse. If you are one of the 2% of phone owners rocking a Windows Phone, Win8 will be just what you like. And if you're not:

Is everyone comfortable with how you've launched programs since 1995? You hit the Start button and a list of programs came up. If the one you wanted wasn't on the list, you just asked for the bigger list, and selected it from that. Been like that for 17 years now.

Well it's changing. There's nothing wrong with it, but that method isn't good for people trying to use it with their finger. So now, you will be forced to launch things using the tablet interface... with your mouse.

You say you have a big 24" monitor? You say they're getting really cheap now? Enh. Hope you like big 3" buttons to press to get your email, just so we can have the same interface work on a 5" screen.

Fucking thing sucks. Office users are going to shit themselves when told they have to use this. You heard it here first.

jimhelm 07-07-2012 10:59 AM

I will not shit myself.

Gravdigr 07-07-2012 01:40 PM

Ya gonna shit somebody else?

jimhelm 07-07-2012 02:07 PM

possibly

Sperlock 07-07-2012 09:32 PM

Yes, well Microsoft also changed the very familiar Office user interface with that ribbon stuff, which I still don't care for.

Ibby 07-07-2012 10:05 PM

I read the title as, windows 8 [part] one

BrianR 07-08-2012 04:10 PM

How come Microsoft keeps reinventing the wheel?

Why not just stick with 7, say, and make it WORK!??? Fix the stupid security holes for once without installing more than they fixed? Make a Firewall worthy of the name! Make it so that Flash doesn't crash every ten minutes. Organize things so that normal, non-geek users can find and USE the utilities that make Windows worth having? Write an actually useful email program!

New ain't necessarily better!

Just my opinion, of course.

Gravdigr 07-08-2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianR (Post 819030)
...Make it so that Flash doesn't crash every ten minutes...

Are we using Firefox 12 by any chance? I just updated to FF 12, and ever since, I get the "Adobe Flash Player has crashed..." message. Often. Never seen that message before FF 12.

BrianR 07-08-2012 11:28 PM

Me too!

What's all that about?
I hope they fix it soon! I send in crash reports every time, which is every few minutes.

Cyber Wolf 07-09-2012 12:36 PM

I was hoping Win8 would give users the option to revert the screen back to a desktop. But it seems that's not the case... yet. Guess I'll have to do with Win7 what I did with WinXP... use it until they just don't support it anymore.

be-bop 07-18-2012 06:37 PM

I have XP on my desktop, Vista on my laptop and Win 7 on my gaming PC, I'll be Buggered if I'm going to start to work out how to tackle another OS.
Oh and my phone is Android, my head is now at burstin' point
:thepain:

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2012 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyber Wolf (Post 819151)
Guess I'll have to do with Win7 what I did with WinXP... use it until they just don't support it anymore.

I use xp in a virtual on win7. They still send xp updates.

Cyber Wolf 07-19-2012 10:29 AM

Support for XP Service Pack 2 ended two years ago. That's what I had. XP with Service Pack 3 is still on though.