The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   October 6, 2006: Moose chases conservation officer (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11952)

Undertoad 10-06-2006 11:40 AM

October 6, 2006: Moose chases conservation officer

http://cellar.org/2006/moosechase.jpg

Why is it a Thursday image if the beast chases another beast, but a Friday image if the beast chases a human? I doubt the guy got hurt in this xoB/WaPo image, which apparently took place in Ogden, Utah. The caption says they were trying to hit it with a tranquilizer gun but the moose got the better of them somehow.

Spexxvet 10-06-2006 11:52 AM

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat"

glatt 10-06-2006 11:54 AM

I read something about this in the paper. IIRC the guy was actually trying to get the moose to chase him to lead it to a better location. Either to shoot it with a dart or maybe catch it somehow.

Run, Forrest, run.

headsplice 10-06-2006 11:55 AM

A moose once bit my sister.

Griff 10-06-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
Run, Forrest, run.

You beat me to the punch. Something about his footwear screams Gump.

SteveDallas 10-06-2006 12:42 PM

But somebody must have had a camera at the ready... the window of opportunity for a shot like this must be pretty small.

glatt 10-06-2006 12:56 PM

A nice camera with a good telephoto lens.

jinx 10-06-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headsplice
A moose once bit my sister.

:lol2:

Mynd you... moose bites kan be pretty nasty...

Emrikol 10-06-2006 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
:lol2:

Mynd you... moose bites kan be pretty nasty...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the moose with the sharpened end of an interspace toothbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian movies: "The Hot Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Molars of Horst Nordfink"...

:footpyth:

LabRat 10-06-2006 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
... The caption says they were trying to hit it with a tranquilizer gun but the moose got the better of them somehow.

Maybe they should have tried shooting him with it. You don't have to be so close that way... :shotgun:

Griff 10-06-2006 01:29 PM

*cough*

dar512 10-06-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LabRat
Maybe they should have tried shooting him with it. You don't have to be so close that way... :shotgun:

:lol:

Spexxvet 10-06-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff

Quote:

Moose Nose in Jelly
- 1 Upper jawbone of a moose
- 1 Onion; sliced
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 tb mixed pickling spice
- 1 ts salt
- 1/2 ts pepper
- 1/4 c vinegar
Cut the upper jaw bone of the moose just below the eyes. Place in a large kettle of scalding water and boil for 45 minutes. Remove and chill in cold water. Pull out all the hairs - these will have been loosened by the boiling and should come out easily ( like plucking a duck). Wash thoroughly until no hairs remain. Place the nose in a kettle and cover with fresh water. Add onion, garlic, spices and vinegar Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the meat is tender. Let cool overnight in the liquid. When cool, take the meat out of the broth, and remove and discard the bones and the cartilage. You will have two kinds of meat, white meat from the bulb of the nose, and thin strips of dark meat from along the bones and jowls. Slice the meat thinly and alternate layers of white and dark meat in a loaf pan. Reheat the broth to boiling, then pour the broth over the meat in the loaf pan. Let cool until jelly has set. Slice and serve cold.
Serve cold? You gotta be kidding!

footfootfoot 10-06-2006 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff

:D :thumbsup:

Trilby 10-06-2006 01:58 PM

See the look on that Moose's face? That is a benign, friendly look. It is NOT the look of pure evil glee like we saw on the rhino.