The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Crocodile hunter is dead? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11651)

Hagar 09-03-2006 11:38 PM

The Crocodile hunter is dead?

I've just heard reports that Steve Irwin - The Crocodile Hunter has died after being stung by a stingray in North Queensland, Australia.

Wow :(

Regardless of what you thought of him, his genuine dedication to wildlife conservation will be sorely missed.

Edit: it's true: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

Ibby 09-04-2006 12:06 AM

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/

Ow. He was lame yet awesome. 's a pity.

Hagar 09-04-2006 12:53 AM

Wow. I've just been listening to local radio in the car, and Steve's death is being compared to that of Princess Diana. His "Australia Zoo" ia about 90mins drive from Brisbane, in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.

I understand the comparision. I feel genuinely shocked and saddened, even though I wasn't particularly an Irwin fan, and he was pretty much bound to go in a way that would make the news.

Our local ABC radio had a trauma councillor on to talk about how to tell your kids the sad news. Irwin himself was very popular with children, and had a strong involvement with childrens' group "The Wiggles", together they had an enourmously popular kids' DVD.

There's a real outpouring of sadness and dismay amoungst talkback callers on the commercial networks as well. He did a lot for the local community, and was very popular in the Sunshine Coast region.

Radar 09-04-2006 02:53 AM

Krikey, it was bound to happen!

Ibby 09-04-2006 03:04 AM

Yeah, everyone knew he wouldn't die in a car crash or fire or some mundane thing like that... everyone knew he would die at the hands/paws/jaws/tail of some animal.

Radar 09-04-2006 03:06 AM

I wonder if they got it on tape? I always figured he'd get mauled by a large cat or a bear or bitten by a poisonous snake.

Sun_Sparkz 09-04-2006 03:52 AM

Sad too that his wife is the last to know - the whole WORLD knew about it before she even found out just a few hours ago.. she and kid were hiking in the tasmanian mountains.

he did amazing things for the wildlife in this country and around the world. An offbeat guy - but i think the world has lost a very precious energy today.

Griff 09-04-2006 07:27 AM

It is sad whenever kids loose their Dad. The interesting part to me is how television made this guy famous enough that folks in Australia, Taiwan, and the US are touched by his death. That means by avoiding the medium, I am losing a common connection worldwide rather than just countrywide. Did he impact environmentalism outside Austrailia or was that more national?

richlevy 09-04-2006 08:21 AM

From what I am reading here, it was a freak accident. Most peoples experiences with stingrays involve being stung in the foot or leg. I guess while diving, the odds of a hit to the chest are increased.

Also, like bee stings, different people can have different reactions.

It's a shame. The guy was a bit of a showman, but anything that kept the public's attention on nature and conservation was a good thing.

Trilby 09-04-2006 09:05 AM

Goodbye, Steve. You were taken too soon.

wolf 09-04-2006 09:08 AM

At least stingrays are relatively cool animals. This would have been a much different conversation had he been mauled by a koala.

grazzers 09-04-2006 09:42 AM

Very sad, seemed like truly good - if a little nuts - guy. Bye Steve.

rkzenrage 09-04-2006 10:15 AM

Quote:

SYDNEY (AFP) - World-renowned "crocodile hunter" and television environmentalist Steve Irwin has died following a stingray attack in northeastern Australia, local government sources said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Irwin, 44, known for his enthusiastic approach to even the deadliest of wildlife, was killed when a stingray barb punctured his chest during the filming and underwater documentary, the sources quoted by the Australian Associated Press said.

The larger-than-life Irwin, dubbed "The Crocodile Hunter" after the nature documentary series he hosted, was filming off the coast of Port Douglas in the state of Queensland when the accident took place.

I feel terrible for his family and loved ones, but he did this himself and has been taunting this for a long time.
As someone who has worked with dangerous & exotic animals, both large and small, for most of my life, he is reckless, irresponsible and boring (it was for television).
The reason for his "campaign" was to educate, but all he showed was animals going "oh shit, I'm being fucked with!" instead of just leaving them alone when he had great shots of them in their natural habitats.
I understand having to pull a python out of it's lair, but when you have a chameleon on a stick stalking a bug, leave it, let us watch it hunt... grabbing it and putting it on your hat it NOT educational. Endangering yourself with deadly snakes is NOT educational, showing us what they do in their natural habitat is, unless you are relocating them like Brady Barr...
Again, this is a tragedy for his family and friends and I do send loving and healing energy to them all.
I am very sorry for the painful death he suffered, but this was a long time coming and I hope that it helps to elevate the level of naturalist television.

Flint 09-04-2006 10:42 AM

Crikey !!! Stabbed in the heart !!!

Elspode 09-04-2006 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar
I wonder if they got it on tape? I always figured he'd get mauled by a large cat or a bear or bitten by a poisonous snake.

A couple of the news accounts I've read state that it was filmed.