The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Movies you are ashamed of.... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=12813)

richlevy 12-16-2006 10:36 PM

Movies you are ashamed of....

We had a TV show thread but not one for movies. We all have enjoyed movies that we know have been critical flops, or that our friends considered lame.

I'll start with a few.

Doctor Detroit

Big Trouble in Little China

Quote:

Jack Burton: Okay, I get the picture White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of heaven shake, huh? Sure, okay, I see Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu and a hundred howlin' monkey temples, and that's just for starters, right? Fine! I'm back! I'm ready, goddammit let me at 'em!
The Last Starfighter

Lord help me, I even enjoyed parts of Battle Beyond the Stars, a second rate sci-fi version of The Magnificent Seven, both movies including Robert Vaughn in the same role.

SteveDallas 12-17-2006 09:46 AM

I've seen both of those last two. I'm still waiting for an explanation of the breasts on that spaceship.

The David Lynch version of Dune has grown on me over the years.

I'll still pop in The Cannonball Run when I'm in the mood for something completely mindless.

Empire Records gets an occasional showing too (back to back with Fellowship of the Ring for full Liv Tyler goodness).

Elspode 12-17-2006 12:04 PM

I'll definitely second BTILC and TLS...I love both those movies.

Enemy Mine
Any Bond film with Roger Moore as Bond
Smokey and the Bandit movies
Clint Eastwood with the organutan movies

Gleep 12-17-2006 12:31 PM

I saw this movie on TV once...I think it was called "Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell"...maybe? Anyway. It's awesome because it's so lame. It seriously looks like it was shot in somebody's backyard with the home video-camera. I haven't seen it in a while, but I still have to consider it my favorite bad movie.

Undertoad 12-17-2006 12:47 PM

Warriors of the Lost World? With the Mystery Science Theater treatment?

(Megaweapon! Megaweapon!)

Spexxvet 12-17-2006 01:36 PM

Student Bodies

SteveDallas 12-17-2006 02:12 PM

Oh, I forgot Cheerleader Ninjas.

keryx 12-17-2006 03:31 PM

Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Roddy Piper before 'They Live.'

JayMcGee 12-17-2006 07:26 PM

Love 'Big Trouble' and 'Battle Beyond'..... absolutly great pop-corn munchin movies. Turn on, Switch off..... who does'nt need to do that sometimes?

and I would add....

the 'Tremors' movies ....and

the 'Spy Kids' movies

Hagar 12-18-2006 01:06 AM

"Bloodbath in the House of Death" (no really) with Kenny Everett

freshnesschronic 12-18-2006 01:29 AM

White Noise was really bad in my opinion

funkykule 12-18-2006 05:35 AM

Has anyone seen Dog Soldiers? possibly the best and worst movie ever- about werewolves that look like Cher. fantastic stuff! We were halfway through the movie when we realsied it may be a piss-take.

I also love any Western..its my dad's (bad) influence on me.

DanaC 12-18-2006 11:32 AM

From Beyond.

Absolutely awful horror adaptation of a Lovecraft story. One of my favourite films *grins* terrible acting from most of the cast, especially the resident scream-queen Barbara Crampton; seriously cheesy scripts and nurses who smoke on duty:P

What's great about it though is: Jeffrey Combs delivering the line "It bit off his head......like he was a gingerbread man!" and Barbara Crampton investigating the death of the scientific and occult genius, discovering his 'playroom' complete with video playing a film of him flogging his latest conquest (followed later, by Crampton inexplicably dressing in the leather outfit); also good is Combs' transformaton from traumatised underling, to third-eye enhanced brain eating freak.

God I might just go and watch it again!

[edited to add] I forgot to mention the brilliant Psychiatric hospital (Miskatonic) where Combs' character is held after the death and destruction which opens the film. He is thought to be an axe wielding maniac and is being assessed by Crampton. The brilliantly awful dialogue between her and psychiatric nurse about psychiatric treatments is funny and that's then followed by a trip through the secure wing, where we see several madmen including a a guy who spends his entire time wanking and grunting like a monkey :P

Shawnee123 12-18-2006 11:39 AM

I LOVE the old movie cartoon version of Puff the Magic Dragon. I cry every time!

Ibby 12-18-2006 01:15 PM

Underworld.

Kate Beckinsale is truly DEEEE-VINE in it, beautiful as anything, but... terrible plot, terrible acting, terrible writing, and terrible dialogue. Great action, though, and plenty of hot leather-clad goth vampire chick eye candy.