The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Segways (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3527)

richlevy 06-14-2003 10:19 AM

Segways

This is not a criticism of President Bush's intelligence, but a real question. This week he stumbled trying to mount a Seqway? Are they that hard to get onto? Is it because the gyros don't run until it's started?

I always thought it was like stepping onto a garden hoe, like you see in some comedies. By placing your weight on the platform, the stick would automatically come up.

Do you think it's because he rides horses and was trying to mount the Segway like a horse?

I really thought those things were idiot-proof.

Odd_Bloke 06-14-2003 09:15 PM

What's a Segway?

SteveDallas 06-14-2003 10:34 PM

I always thought the Segway was a solution in seach of a problem. But then, I'm sure people said the same thing about those "horseless carriages" back in the early 20th century.

And if you'd like to read more about them, go to http://www.segway.com.

Pie 06-14-2003 11:46 PM

I understand he was holding a tennis racket at the time... Perhaps not holding on to the handlebars correctly can cause it to over-compensate.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/28/31183.html

- Pie

Bitmap 06-15-2003 12:13 AM

this is what i hate about American biased journalism... why are we hearing abou this from the UK and not from The States?

xoxoxoBruce 06-15-2003 08:26 AM

He needs an updated model.

elSicomoro 06-15-2003 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bitmap
this is what i hate about American biased journalism... why are we hearing abou this from the UK and not from The States?
Actually Bit, their main source was ABC. And MSNBC.com ran a story about it as well (though I didn't read it).

Sounds like you're out of the loop. I understand...I probably know more about what's going on in Canada right now than the United States. It's sad really, but you know what they say...ignorance is bliss. :)

Pie 06-15-2003 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bitmap
There were plenty of US sources -- I just happen to like TheRegister. Says more about me than "biased journalism". I just typed the terms "segway Bush tennis racket" into google and picked the one I liked best...

- Pie (not a fan of Dubya)

warch 06-26-2003 11:38 AM

I just rode a segway!

SO COOL. And it was tricky at first. (I wont make fun of the President) I didnt fall, but at first it goes against your natural inclination to control your balance. I wobbled back and forth quite a bit. Like on a bike, you naturally use your arms and lean for control. This thing is so sensitive it reacts to your attempts by wigging out to your pressure. Its in your knees, you relax, give it up and let the segway balance you. It reminded me ot those trust activites, you fall back and trust you'll be caught. WEE! I didnt want to give it back.

Undertoad 06-26-2003 12:14 PM

Someone suggested that W's problem was that the Segway he tried to mount was actually switched off. That kinda makes sense -- it would fail to balance him, and then he'd have to kinda run-fall, like the photos showed. It also makes sense because he's occasionally dense, but not uncoordinated.

richlevy 06-26-2003 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Someone suggested that W's problem was that the Segway he tried to mount was actually switched off. That kinda makes sense -- it would fail to balance him, and then he'd have to kinda run-fall, like the photos showed. It also makes sense because he's occasionally dense, but not uncoordinated.
And that's why I was unwilling to judge his mental capacity by his stumbling over a Segway. Now if someone can just find a similar reasonable explanation for his atrocious foreign and domestic policy, I may have to up my estimate of his intelligence.

Happy Monkey 06-26-2003 04:10 PM

Easy

His foreign and domestic policy is also switched off.

99 44/100% pure 06-26-2003 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Odd_Bloke
What's a Segway?
Segway (seh' gway) n. [U.S. vernacular] A proprietary name which has commonly come to mean any of a variety of personal, two wheeled, motorized transportation devices. Made known for its widespread use in the late 2010's in the popular worldwide resurgence of competitive chariot racing.

ZEUSDOG 06-26-2003 09:38 PM

I BELIEVE YOU HAVE TO TAKE A SMALL LESSON/COURSE IN ORDER TO BUY ONE.

NOW ABOUT GEORGE...

REMEMBER HE IS JUST A PAWN. DON'T SET YOUR EXPECTATIONS TOO HIGH. THE PEOPLE WHO 'REALLY' RUN THE COUNTRY KNOW YOU CAN'T HANDLE SEEING OR DEALING WITH THE REAL ISSUES; SO YOU GET GEORGE. I LIKE HIM. DON'T BLAME THE MESSENGER FOR THE WAR. I LIKE THE U.S., YOU GUYS ARE KINDA...HUMAN.

LATER...:p

wolf 06-27-2003 12:01 AM

Welcome, Zeusdog.

One question ... why are you shouting?