The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   No! to Backyard Fireworks (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17631)

Cloud 07-04-2008 08:45 AM

No! to Backyard Fireworks

Take your children to the parade, or a public fireworks display, instead. Even if there's a pool nearby to douse them with. Please!

:angry:

Take it from me. I was a Statistic.

sweetwater 07-04-2008 08:55 AM

YES! to 'No! to Backyard Fireworks'. Though not a statistic myself, we learned recently that my father maybe killed a kid when he was a kid and they were playing with fireworks. And the ruckus scares many pets. I love fireworks shows, especially the grand finale, but NIMBY.

footfootfoot 07-04-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 466783)
Take your children to the parade, or a public fireworks display, instead. Even if there's a pool nearby to douse them with. Please!

:angry:

Take it from me. I was a Statistic.

Story? scars? xray? photos? Need the info.

Cicero 07-04-2008 09:22 AM

Hmmm.....I was just thinking about what a Nazi I've become because of this issue. Maybe there are a couple times of the year I should just live and let live. (or let die as the case may be)

I was thikning about all the trash and destruction of fireworks in my neighborhood (already). Can't I just let people be stupid and have fun instead of socially regulating everything all the time?

This year I say yes, to whatever you wanna do. Fire it up. I am tired of my judgements, and for one day, people may eat too much, then go light some explosives, burn their hands off, whatever.

Whatever makes you happy. Go ahead. I've become a nazi about everything else. I think I'll postpone my judgements just for a day. Jesus! I have become an asshole curmudgeon along with everyone else!

Cloud 07-04-2008 09:39 AM

One day, long ago, when I was about 7 or 8, it was the Fifth of July. You know, the Day After The Fourth of July. The day after we had set off fireworks in our backyard. It was pretty common back then (and legal in Calif).

That morning, I woke up, and, while my parents were having breakfast in the dining room, decided to go play with the leftover fireworks. I was still in my pjs, in this case a lovely pink nylon gown and robe set my sister had given me for Christmas. This was, if you will perceive, before the days of children's fire-retardant sleepwear.

I'll never be certain exactly what happened. For a long time, I thought it was the sparkler itself that set me on fire. But now I think that I simply dropped the match on me after lighting the sparkler.

WHOOSH!

This was also, unfortunately, before the days of "stop, drop, and roll." So naturally, I ran around screaming like a banshee (or a child on fire), fanning the flames. My poor parents--I can't imagine what that must have been like. My father came racing out to the backyard and had to catch me. Stupid me--our backyard had a huge pool in it. My dad probably saved my life that day, by throwing me in the pool, dousing the flames.

They wrapped me in a sheet and drove me to the hospital, where I stayed on and off for the next several months. Multiple skin grafts for third degree burns over one whole side of my torso, from hip to armpit, including my breast. I was lucky. Very, very, lucky--it didn't get my face, and mostly the scars aren't too noticeable.

Now, I'm a smart girl, but what child has much common sense? It only takes a second.

Sundae 07-04-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 466786)
Story? scars? xray? photos? Need the info.

Story here. I'll leave it to Cloud to decide if she wants to link to scars, which I believe are here somewhere. Beautiful picture of her back tattoo here if not.

ETA - Cloud replied while I was searching. As is proper. Links still attached for info.

Cloud 07-04-2008 09:44 AM

I don't actually have pics of the scars. You can use your imagination.

ETA: oooh, I repeated myself. You did a better job of searching than I did, SG. I did look, but all I found were the tattoo posts.

Sorry, it's a recurring theme in my life, especially this time of year.

footfootfoot 07-04-2008 10:01 AM

Ouch! Cloud you were very lucky. Nice colors on the ink, btw.
When I was young and immortal (~20-25 y.o.) I used to like to do really stupid things in as safe a manner as I could manage; I was pretty lucky only minor burns to the fingers and a snout full of sulfur.

I do remember watching my friend's dad go up into flames while he was working on a car (he was a mechanic) while smoking a cigarette and wearing oil soaked coveralls. Predictably, it did not go well at all for him from then on out. It was kind of strange because that entire family had the worst luck imaginable. It was as if they had a curse on them. It should have wised me up, but one never makes the connections between the ACTION and the result until later. When we are younger we seem to think it is the ACTOR who creates the results.

So, no to fireworks in the backyard, unless you've had lots to drink and your friends are recording it for youtube.

HungLikeJesus 07-04-2008 10:28 AM

Considering the very dry conditions in the West, I agree. No to backyard fireworks.

Big Sarge 07-04-2008 12:20 PM

Cloud - that tattoo is awesome! I love the vibrant colors. TY for sharing your story. It gives another perspective to the dangers of fireworks

xoxoxoBruce 07-04-2008 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cicero (Post 466789)
Hmmm.....I was just thinking about what a Nazi I've become because of this issue. Maybe there are a couple times of the year I should just live and let live. (or let die as the case may be)

I was thikning about all the trash and destruction of fireworks in my neighborhood (already). Can't I just let people be stupid and have fun instead of socially regulating everything all the time?

This year I say yes, to whatever you wanna do. Fire it up. I am tired of my judgements, and for one day, people may eat too much, then go light some explosives, burn their hands off, whatever.

Whatever makes you happy. Go ahead. I've become a nazi about everything else. I think I'll postpone my judgements just for a day. Jesus! I have become an asshole curmudgeon along with everyone else!

I think I love you.:love:

Cloud 07-04-2008 12:34 PM

I agree that being judgmental all the time is no good. But I'm sure you can appreciate I don't think I'm being judgmental here, but passing along my very real concerns based on painful experience.

Undertoad 07-04-2008 12:39 PM

I have no kids -- can I light them off?

Cloud 07-04-2008 12:45 PM

invisible burning kids?

can't give you permission for this, virtual kids or not, sorry

Cicero 07-04-2008 12:50 PM

Sorry you lit yourself on freaking fire Clouder!

Suxors!

I don't have kids, and this part of NM is perpetually wet right now! Bang boom, snap!

Unlike you, one of the best times I think I've ever had, was being a part of a fireworks team for the big show one year. I got to deliver the aesthetic "magic"!
:)
So we are probably going to have quite the opposite opinion on this. I think there is a time and place for it, and not.

I know you had a painful experience with this. I read all about it right there. But not every 5 year old does that, sometimes they go straight for a light socket, sometimes they touch burners, sometimes they put stuff in their mouths that don't belong there, sometimes they think they can fly off the roof, in my case I decided to swat a police dog on the behind for growling, and got my face chewed up. I still love dogs.

It stands to reason that you would hide TNT and explosives from children and regulate it when you are using it....