The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What I like about Tone (he really knows how to dance) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4088)

juju 10-07-2003 06:37 PM

What I like about Tone (he really knows how to dance)

This thread is for what you like about Undertoad, Tony, our board's adminstrator. Why is he so great? Are there any reasons? Be prepared to defend your answers, and there may or may not be a quiz at the end of the session.

What I like about Tony:
  • His neverending quest for perfection in brevity, which makes him an awesome writer, even if he does go overboard sometimes. :)
  • Somehow, nearly everything he posts is insightful, intelligent, or witty. Meanwhile, I manage to make an ass of myself by saying something stupid nearly every month. Has he made a deal with the devil or something?
  • How he can take a seemingly innocuous-looking photograph, create a writup about it, and then make the picture interesting and thought-provoking.
  • He admits when he's wrong, and that he could be wrong -- a philosophy I personally believe in.
  • He's the only one I know who understands how to create a good, lasting online community. I never thought I would recapture that feeling my BBS days gave me. Thanks, Tony.

I have sudden obligations. More later!

ladysycamore 10-07-2003 07:23 PM

"what I like about choo"

He builds a mean computer. Thanks again man! :D

wolf 10-07-2003 08:57 PM

Kudos (the congratulations, not the candy) to you, Toad, for keeping The Cellar running in it's many incarnations.

It's a labor of love, and one that I, having survived several of the transitions, truly appreciate. There is a special kind of magic in the ability to bring together people from various places and backgrounds like this.

And all the stuff that Juju and LadySyc said, and that everybody else will say.

(amazing how supportive hateful web lemmings can actually be, isn't it?)

xoxoxoBruce 10-07-2003 09:29 PM

He's got a great Cellar and an Awesome Mom.
It's a shame he's got that kind of dogs that'll grab your throat and drag you off stage.:D

SteveDallas 10-07-2003 10:55 PM

Backup tapes

Yeah, backup tapes.

Back in the day when The Cellar was running on the waffle BBS software, there was some hideous hardware crash or other. UT got everything back up & running and apologized for the amount of time it took to get everything back from the backup tapes.

See, your average BBS went bust when it had its first hardware crash. The sysop (often operating out of his parents' basement) had other things to do, and didn't feel like re-installing the software to start over from scratch. (It goes without saying there were no backups.) The very fact that there were any backup tapes whatsoever said a lot.

Elspode 10-07-2003 11:48 PM

I love blowing sunshine up a deserving ass, and there can be no more deserving derrier than that of the generous, intelligent and talented Undertoad!

Since I first found The Cellar on a rather depressing New Year's Eve this past Winter, I have come to admire this man who gives so much and gets so goddamn little in return. He spares no expense to keep a fast data pipeline open so that we, the unwashed and unworthy users of The Cellar, can pour out gigabytes of written drivel, photographic garbage and countless insults to people we (mostly) don't know. Undertoad has taken the sum total of his life experience, and converted into entertainment and electrosocialization for people who, in all honesty, probably wouldn't help him across the street if he were blind and lame.

That takes a special kind of person...someone willing to take a lot of abuse, misspend his own money gratuitously and often, someone who, let's face it, has no self-respect or real purpose in life. UT, provider of electronic codependence, are you barking mad?!! :D

Seriously, Tony, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for what you do for this online community. I only wish I'd found it sooner, or at a more dicey point in my life. I could have used the support on many an occasion. If I had a drink, I would lift it high in your honor, and toast you with something along the lines of "May only good things happen tae ye, may the oil of a thousand virgins glisten upon your thighs, and may the keg never run dry as long as ye'er hand pulls the tap!"

UT is THE man, and that's no shit.

slang 10-08-2003 01:26 AM

Yeah....what they said plus you have cool dogs.

It was nice meeting you for the cellar GTG over the summer and thanks for you patience with me.

Sometimes I get on peoples' nerves.

Undertoad 10-08-2003 09:27 AM

Welp, I'm going all gooey over y'all embarrassing me like this.. but you know my emotional bond to the Cellar and to all y'all is strong. It will never die. If it ever goes all Error 404 on you, just wait and it will be back.

I have many debts to repay in my life but this is one of the biggest and most important ones.

hot_pastrami 10-08-2003 10:55 AM

1. He's as insightful as hell.
2. He is impressive in wordcraft.
3. He has strong opinions but is open to debate.

...as well as what everyone else said. Except for the part about the dogs... I have no opinion on the dogs.

Whit 10-08-2003 11:17 AM

Two excellent qualities. Ethics and belief in his views.
      No abuse of power. There have been several people through here that clearly annoyed the shit out of and often flat insulted UT. His responses have been like that of a common Dwellar. I've never seen him abuse his position in the least. Even when some people called to have Radar kicked UT refused saying that whether the discussion was rational or not people were having it. He wouldn't kick the guy for that.
      I respect that. The fact that he's got all the power around here and doesn't abuse it suggest that he has an ethical nature. Also, he must believe in his words because he doesn't try to bolster them unfairly.

vsp 10-08-2003 11:30 AM

He uses strn to read Usenet, which is a sign of intelligence.

SteveDallas 10-08-2003 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by vsp
He uses strn to read Usenet, which is a sign of intelligence.
It's more likely to be techno-crotchetiness on the part of somebody who was around before all these new-fangled graphical interfaces came along. :cool:

Undertoad 10-08-2003 12:20 PM

Well I used to use strn. But there are no Usenet groups I care to participate in any longer.

warch 10-08-2003 02:08 PM

In 1979, the first thing I loved about our young Tony was that he was wicked funny, wicked creative, and wicked smart. Then he revealed himself to be honest, ridiculously generous, and amazingly kind and then proceeded to live that...what are you gonna do? Thank your stars that you happened upon such a good friend. We're a lucky bunch.:)

vsp 10-08-2003 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
Well I used to use strn. But there are no Usenet groups I care to participate in any longer.
Yet another sign of intelligence.

(I do still raid the alt.binaries groups from time to time, but I use Gravity 2.6x or PowerGrab for that, as those files would blow my 10MB Net Access quota straight to hell.)