The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Add some stuff to my weekend listening (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11948)

SteveDallas 10-06-2006 08:48 AM

Add some stuff to my weekend listening

This may be a dumb idea, but hey, isn't that what Nothingland is for?

I was surfing around emusic.com last night, getting a little bored and wondering what I ought to download to listen to. Then I had a bolt of inspiration: why not let all my good friends on The Cellar help out???

So here are the rules. I will listen to whatever you pick out, up to a maximum of 15 tracks. (Sorry, I'm not willing to hand over my entire batch of downloads for the month!) One track per person, please--first post, first served. Your selection must be available at emusic.com. I'm not shilling for them, it's just that I have a subscription and so I don't have to do anything except click & listen.

I pledge to listen to everything selected for me. I really trust you all, and I know you would never do anything like pick stuff you know sucks just to torture me.

Oh, and of course, I'll post my reactions to the music.

Spexxvet 10-06-2006 09:10 AM

Redemption's Son - Joseph Arthur

Griff 10-06-2006 09:16 AM

The Boxer - Carbon Leaf

Undertoad 10-06-2006 09:19 AM

Join me in the chill revolution. It's all about long drawn-out weird chords.*

Undertow - Ivy

Unfair second track choice: I Have Seen - Zero 7

I make the second choice because people will probably not stop to figure out what is on emusic. (But it and Rhapsody are the only two acceptable music services.)

*edit: may not be coincidence that long drawn-out weird chords are exactly what we can't do on our chosen instruments. We can only complete those chords. Anyway there you have it

SteveDallas 10-06-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad
Unfair second track choice: I Have Seen - Zero 7

I make the second choice because people will probably not stop to figure out what is on emusic.[/size]

I'll use it if we don't hit 15--butI figured the folks here could figure out what was going on.. Spexx, is yours on emusic? I found the artist & the song, but not both together.

Elspode 10-06-2006 10:07 AM

Speed of the Sound of Loneliness - Alabama 3 (from Exile on Coldharbour Lane)

Spexxvet 10-06-2006 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I'll use it if we don't hit 15--butI figured the folks here could figure out what was going on.. Spexx, is yours on emusic? I found the artist & the song, but not both together.

Don't know, didn't look. I guess I didn't figure out what's going on.:o

Bullitt 10-06-2006 10:26 AM

"Sing What You Mean" - Bel Auburn
emusic might not have them.. but they're on iTunes too.

BigV 10-06-2006 05:25 PM

Hmmmph.

I'd be happy to help you with a selection from the peanut gallery *if I was able to view the contents of the list!!!*

I'm not willing to SIGN UP FOR A FREE TRIAL!!! [/annoying announcer voice] just to browse the shelves.

So. For a blind pick, I'll say....

Kan-Non Power -- California Guitar Trio, Yamanashi Blues

Alternate pick:
I Shall Be Free -- Kid Beyond, Amplivate

KinkyVixen 10-06-2006 06:09 PM

Jack Johnson - anything by him

Griff 10-06-2006 06:31 PM

In case you continue to not get emusic cuts...

White Lies, Blue Tears - The Star Room Boys

SteveDallas 10-06-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV
Hmmmph.

I'd be happy to help you with a selection from the peanut gallery *if I was able to view the contents of the list!!!*

I'm not willing to SIGN UP FOR A FREE TRIAL!!!

OK, good point. Their opening screen for non-customers is obnoxious that way. I didn't notice this since I'm cookied. There is a "Log In" link on the top right of the page. Click that and it will pop up the login screen, but the screen will have the search widgets at the top so you can browse or search without signing up.

[edit to fix egregious typos]

Elspode 10-06-2006 09:35 PM

Damn you, SD. I joined, and I've already downloaded my first free 25.

Lots of awesome stuff, but they are a little light on the mainstream current stuff. They did have everything that White Stripes has done, though, so bonus points for them. They also have a Live Music section that brings the customer current up and comers doing live sets in various venues around the country.

I got a live Harry Chapin set, a live tango set (Astor Piazzola) and Steeleye Span's "Please to See the King".

Cool.

wolf 10-06-2006 09:37 PM

Bury my Lovely - October Project (from their first Album, October Project)

lumberjim 10-06-2006 10:34 PM

thanks, spode. i forgot about the white stripes. hotpastrami had a track on his cmep disk. link. 'I'm finding it hard to be a gentleman' off of white blood cells. that's my pick for you steve.